By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 21, 2020 (May 18 - May 24)

Tagged games:

Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

To my knowledge Japan generally shuns the likes of Doom or Wolfenstein regardless of platform. Never saw sales figures for the others but they're not exactly top shelf releases.

So aside from Minecraft and DQXI, you don't think a single third party game on the Switch deserves as good of sales as Arms?

It's not a matter of what I feel deserves it, more that other third party games just generally aren't major or well promoted enough to sell on par with high profile first party titles from Nintendo. They're also often overpriced or otherwise gimped.

Around the Network

Welp, the PS4 has basically reached 3DS levels of sales

Ring Fit Adventure's legs are truly insane.

Dat Splatoon 2 increase.

Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

To my knowledge Japan generally shuns the likes of Doom or Wolfenstein regardless of platform. Never saw sales figures for the others but they're not exactly top shelf releases.

So aside from Minecraft and DQXI, you don't think a single third party game on the Switch deserves as good of sales as Arms?

Doesn’t help that most of the games you talked about were late ports of games already on the PS4. Still, I believe DQB1 and 2 sold respectfully well on Switch (unless I’m wrong) in Japan, especially compared to the PS4 versions. Hell, some of the anime games like One Piece and My Hero sold relatively well on Switch compared to PS4. Persona 5 Scramble seemed to have sold respectfully as well considering the original game is not on Switch and all it can build upon is from the Smash hype (which I’m not sure if it favored much for the Switch anyway since you can’t play P5 or P5R on Switch). Then you have Trials of Mana remake, which is selling pretty well on Switch. Heck it made the top 10 on Switch on NPD.

what were your sales expectations for some of these games releasing on Switch?

3rd Party Top 20 Switch

1. Minecraft (Microsoft Game Studios) - 1.393.109
  2. Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 520.693
  3. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 475.437
  4. Fishing Spirits: Nintendo Switch Version (Bandai Namco) - 439.131
  5. Yo-kai Watch 4* (Level 5) - 358.356
  6. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 (Sega) - 312.574
  7. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate* (Capcom) - 309.596
  8. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Square Enix) - 295.237
  9. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball (Konami) - 225.614
  10. Super Bomberman R3* (Konami) - 215.218
  11. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Ubisoft) - 213.453
  12. Octopath Traveller (Square Enix) - 193.780
  13. Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 (Bandai Namco) - 181.090
  14. Disney Tsum Tsum Festival (Bandai Namco) - 149.562
  15. Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (Marvelous) - 146.363
  16. Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission (Bandai Namco) - 145.720
  17. FIFA 18 (EA) - 122.998
  18. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 (Bandai Namco) - 117.954
  19. Doraemon: Story of Seasons (Bandai Namco) - 112.104
  20. Pro Baseball Famista Evolution (Bandai Namco) - 110.954

*All Versions

TOTAL: 5.729.347

1. Bandai Namco - 1.731.952
  2. Microsoft - 1.393.109
  3. Square Enix - 1.009.710
  4. Konami - 440.832
  5. Level 5 - 358.356
  6. Sega - 312.574
  7. Capcom - 309.596
  8. Ubisoft - 213.453
  9. Marvelous - 146.363
  10. EA - 122.998
  • Biggest losers from the transition from the 3DS to the Switch are Capcom & Level 5. Both had multi-million selling franchise on the 3DS with Monster Hunter and Yokai Watch
  • Bandai,Microsoft & Square Enix are doing the best by a big margin. Bandai & Square have moved the majority of AA games to the Switch
  • Minecraft, Fishing Spirits, Dragon Quest XIS and Taiko are the 3rd party evergreens on the system.
  • Sega & Ubisoft are both only there because of a Nintendo cross over
  • Konami... with one launch title and a baseball game has done better than most 

Kai_Mao said:
Farsala said:

Doesn’t help that most of the games you talked about were late ports of games already on the PS4. Still, I believe DQB1 and 2 sold respectfully well on Switch (unless I’m wrong) in Japan, especially compared to the PS4 versions. Hell, some of the anime games like One Piece and My Hero sold relatively well on Switch compared to PS4. Persona 5 Scramble seemed to have sold respectfully as well considering the original game is not on Switch and all it can build upon is from the Smash hype (which I’m not sure if it favored much for the Switch anyway since you can’t play P5 or P5R on Switch). Then you have Trials of Mana remake, which is selling pretty well on Switch. Heck it made the top 10 on Switch on NPD.

At this point I expect all same day release 3rd party games to do better than the PS4 version due to the install base difference. The games in the past get a pass, but they still launched on a system with a growing install base.

As for late ports... I feel like a game like DQXI S should outsell a game like Arms by a mile due to quality difference regardless, not to mention for the fact that it sold much later in the Switch's life. SE put a lot of effort into the Switch version, but the sales simply aren't DQ levels.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Kai_Mao said:

At this point I expect all same day release 3rd party games to do better than the PS4 version due to the install base difference. The games in the past get a pass, but they still launched on a system with a growing install base.

As for late ports... I feel like a game like DQXI S should outsell a game like Arms by a mile due to quality difference regardless, not to mention for the fact that it sold much later in the Switch's life. SE put a lot of effort into the Switch version, but the sales simply aren't DQ levels.

It's much easier for 3rd party games to sell on PS4 when there zero million seller from 1st party to compete with. 

Animal Crossing new horizons alone is bigger than Monster Hunter World+Final Fantasy 7R +Dragon Quest 11 combined on PS4. 

Top 5 games in Japan this Gen

1. Animal Crossing 

2. Smash Bros Ultimate

3. Pokemon Sword and Shield

4. Splatoon 2

5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

If you take a look at the last fiscal year, Nintendo generated more profits than Sony gaming division, Capcom, and Square Enix combined. 

I kinda agree with EA on this, Nintendo 1st party titles on Switch are too monstrous and most of those still retain a full MSRP. 

I think at this point people need to accept the reality of current Nintendo Switch software situation. 

Their domination on software sales make it hard for third party games to compete in the same environment. 

LGBTDBZBBQ said:
Farsala said:

It's much easier for 3rd party games to sell on PS4 when there zero million seller from 1st party to compete with. 

Animal Crossing new horizons alone is bigger than Monster Hunter World+Final Fantasy 7R +Dragon Quest 11 combined on PS4. 

Top 5 games in Japan this Gen

1. Animal Crossing 

2. Smash Bros Ultimate

3. Pokemon Sword and Shield

4. Splatoon 2

5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

If you take a look at the last fiscal year, Nintendo generated more profits than Sony gaming division, Capcom, and Square Enix combined. 

I kinda agree with EA on this, Nintendo 1st party titles on Switch are too monstrous and most of those still retain a full MSRP. 

I think at this point people need to accept the reality of current Nintendo Switch software situation. 

Their domination on software sales make it hard for third party games to compete in the same environment. 

@bold Yeah that is partially my point.

3rd party devs know better than us about how the market will react due to research, so it is probably a good reason why they don't release certain games on the Switch.

Or maybe Nintendo has a better understanding of what will actually sell than the majority of 3rd parties in Japan ?

abronn627 said:
Or maybe Nintendo has a better understanding of what will actually sell than the majority of 3rd parties in Japan ?

I think all third party devs have a good understanding that Nintendo games will sell just as much as Nintendo does. For example every time a Mario Kart or an Animal Crossing comes out, they and everyone else knows they will sell millions.

So why doesn't a third party dev release Mario Kart or Animal Crossing? The answer should be obvious.

Even if they copied it and used their own characters, their IP simply wouldn't sell. One proof of that is Playstation All Stars Battle Royale or Crash Racing.

Farsala said:
abronn627 said:

I think all third party devs have a good understanding that Nintendo games will sell just as much as Nintendo does. For example every time a Mario Kart or an Animal Crossing comes out, they and everyone else knows they will sell millions.

So why doesn't a third party dev release Mario Kart or Animal Crossing? The answer should be obvious.

Even if they copied it and used their own characters, their IP simply wouldn't sell. One proof of that is Playstation All Stars Battle Royale or Crash Racing.

It's not that. The 3rds treat Nintendo consumers as second class citizens. Aways. When the threat of good support and good games tend to sell well. Dragon Quest IX is the best selling dragon quest in one single sku. Capcom has 3 MH, three years in sequence, sells more than 4 Million. Just Dance is the best selling Ubisoft single SKU game in the Wii. Microsoft sells gangbusters with Minecraft. Bravely Default tops 2M. Nintendo aways reports have more and more thirds millions of sellers. Dragon Quest XI has a spike of sales more than 1.5 millions after the Nintendo Switch release, worldwide. Level 5 explode in sales in every Nintendo handheld.