By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 21, 2020 (May 18 - May 24)

Tagged games:

TruckOSaurus said:
nantonaku said:
It's true that the Switch is selling well, but more than that, it's become the norm to play games on smartphones in Japan. People aren't interested in AAA titles.
I'd like to see more Japanese publishers release more games, but most publishers are focusing on mobile because genres like JRPGs make easy money on the root box. Everyone is always talking about the root box and I'm sick of it. 
Most of the core gamers who are interested in the PS5 also have a PC, so it's going to be tough to compete.

Root box? What is that?

Not sure if this was meant as a joke, but to answer you seriously he means 'loot box'. Japanese speakers can easily confuse 'R's and 'L's in english, because of the way their characters are pronounced (ones that start with an 'R' sound, are basically halfway between 'R' and 'L' in english).

Source: Japanese for Dummies

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Root box? What is that?

Not sure if this was meant as a joke, but to answer you seriously he means 'loot box'. Japanese speakers can easily confuse 'R's and 'L's in english, because of the way their characters are pronounced (ones that start with an 'R' sound, are basically halfway between 'R' and 'L' in english).

Source: Japanese for Dummies

Thanks, I really didn't make that connection. Impersonating Japanese pronunciation of English in a forum doesn't really work all that well.

Signature goes here!

nantonaku said:
It's true that the Switch is selling well, but more than that, it's become the norm to play games on smartphones in Japan. People aren't interested in AAA titles.
I'd like to see more Japanese publishers release more games, but most publishers are focusing on mobile because genres like JRPGs make easy money on the root box. Everyone is always talking about the root box and I'm sick of it. 
Most of the core gamers who are interested in the PS5 also have a PC, so it's going to be tough to compete.

It's not entirely true. AAA Nintendo games is a smash hit and have great legs. AAA third party games exclusive for PS4, excluded Monster Hunter, have declined. This happening when you bet against the market. All Japanese third party , treat Switch consumers like second class citizens. Indie and Nintendo treat switch consumers properly, results: good sales. 

Last edited by Agente42 - on 29 May 2020

noshten said:

TOP 10 Switch Famitsu 2020:

1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons(2020) - 4.582.670 
  2. Pokemon Sword / Shield - 614.118
  3. Ring Fit Adventure - 421.402
  4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 296.420
  5. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX(2020) - 253.399
  6. Smash Ultimate - 250.758
  7. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 247.170
  8. Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch - 200.039
  9. Super Mario Party - 187.383
  10. Splatoon 2 - 174.623

TOTAL: 7.227.982

• Animal Crossing crosses 4.5M physical
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will cross 300K for the year next week
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon & Smash Ultimate cross 250K, Minecraft to join them next week
  • Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training crosses 200K

Outside the Top 10:

1. Luigi's Mansion 3 - 139.187
  2. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020 (Sega) - 119.007
  3. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 (Bandai Namco Games) - 117.954
  4. Super Mario Maker 2 - 115.389
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 106.041
  6. Fishing Spirits: Nintendo Switch Version (Bandai Namco Games) - 102.136
  7. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 96.470
  8. Trials of Mana (Square Enix) - 93.813
  9. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva MegaMix* (Sega) - 78.558
  10. Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers* (Atlus) - 65.653*

TOTAL: 1.034.208

*Last known numbers

**Might be missing certain title/s

TOP 20 By Publisher:

Nintendo - 7.437.899

Microsoft - 247.170

Bandai Namco Games - 220.090

Sega - 197.565

Square Enix - 93.813

Atlus - 65.653

Lifetime TOP 10 PS4 (https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/games-by-platform/playstation-4)

1. Monster Hunter: World* (Capcom) - 2.524.060
  2. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Square Enix) - 1.368.698
  3. Final Fantasy XV* (Square Enix) - 1.042.951
  4. Final Fantasy VII Remake (Square Enix) - 914.239
  5. Kingdom Hearts III (Square Enix) - 861.226
  6. Grand Theft Auto V* (Take-Two) - 658.505
  7. Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne* (Capcom) - 516.285
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (SIE) - 511.722
  9. NieR: Automata* (Square Enix) - 467.485
  10. Metal Gear Solid V* (Konami) - 448.554

*All Versions

TOTAL: 9.313.725

• Animal Crossing: New Horizon is already close to 50% of the sales of the Top 10 PS4 games.
  • While Nintendo just in 2020 as a publisher has sold over 80% of the lifetime sales of the Top 10 PS4 games. 
  • Support continues to be laughable for Major Japanese 3rd Parties 
  • Smaller publishers are selling a ton at the eShop
  • There is a fair few games that could be refered as evergreens on the eShop(Fitness Boxing, Human Fall Flat, Overcooked 2)
  • Human Fall Flat(28.12.2017) and Overcooked 2(07.8.2018) have barely left the Top 20 eShop since they released 
  • Fitness Boxing is at 108.688 physical, it likely has at least as many digital sales. 
  • I think while Major Japanese 3rd Parties are losing ground to indie developers and smaller publishers in Japan
  • If they can't bother to constantly release AA games for the Switch they should think about investing in overseas indie developers they can publish in Japan for the Switch

Great analysis. Switch have Nintendo focus on a single platform and indies: it's the key to good sales. And the indies take the spot of the third party in the equation. Small and medium-sized studios maybe focus on PC and Switch more than AAA Microsoft and Sony hardware. Sony and Microsoft used indies to leverage with 3rds parties and maintain a constant flow of release games, then when the big major company arrived, the small studios went forgotten. Nintendo doesn't make the same mistake.

Agente42 said:
nantonaku said:

It's not entirely true. AAA Nintendo games is a smash hit and have great legs. AAA third party games exclusive for PS4, excluded Monster Hunter, have declined. This happening when you bet against the market. All Japanese third party , treat Switch consumers like second class citizens. Indie and Nintendo treat switch consumers properly, results: good sales. 

This is what kinda urks me. The Switch has ~13 million units sold in Japan (~55 million worldwide).

It feels like Nintendo has all but suck you-know-whats with the major Japanese 3rd party devs, but are still unable to at least be considered within their plans with AA-AAA games. I don't mean to sound like I'm begging, but it's so mind-boggling. The Switch is not held back from a gimmick like the Wii and we've seen games like DQXIS perform well on the Switch hardware (with a few, but subtle compromises).

Around the Network

Looks like the Switch is destroying its previous FY...I would have not expected that, even without the disturbance of the COVID. I will upload soon my graphics with all the FY sales comparison.

Nintendo doesn't really the big Japanese 3rd parties, it would be nice to get a Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Solid, Nier etc. But obviously if Sony is buying exclusivity Nintendo already has a backup with indies and PC Devs.

Japanese 3rd parties on the other hand can they really miss out on putting everything they can on a system that will sell 25M+ in Japan and 100M+ World Wide?
Unless they actually want to fade into irrelevance on their home soil - they need to start to invest a lot more into bringing a lot more value to the owners of the ecosystem.

Since this thread is focused on the Japanese market, I just want to bring up a question I had months ago... where are the 3rd party titles focused on women on the Switch to coincide with the Animal Crossing launch? Miku 6 months into the year... I mean at some point I'm starting to thing all these companies are run by morons.. If I was Konami or Sega, I'd be working together with Ghost Town Games on finishing Overcooked 3 in time for the Animal Crossing launch.. they've known Animal Crossing will launch eventually and what will happen especially in Japan... yet no planning or foreseight - its a sad sight

I mean I anticipated this frustration back in January.. and Japanese 3rd Parties definitely didn't dissapoint

noshten said:
zorg1000 said:

Yep, Lite model increasing the baseline, Pokemon reversing its decline & Ring Fit still being severely stock limited should keep sales high until Animal Crossing (and likely a special edition Switch Lite) comes and sees sales skyrocket and keeps sales high through the Spring.

1st half of the year should be notably up YoY, 2nd half is more questionable as last year was absolutely stacked with Mario Maker (last week of June so most of its sales in H2), Fire Emblem in July, improved model in Aug, Link's Awakening+Lite model+DQ XI in Sept, Luigi's Mansion+Ring Fit in Oct & Pokemon+Mario & Sonic in Nov.

That will be a hard lineup to beat so it will be interesting to see what Nintendo has in store this year.

They don't really need to beat 2nd half line up to do better

They only need a price drop and a Animal Crossing themed Switch/Switch Lite. 

Animal Crossing demand will be constant hardware driver for a while after it releases.

We know nothing about 2nd half of 2020 in terms of 1st Party titles. 
There are also rumors of new "Pro" Switch. 

I know I've said that every year but it never lived up to expectations, but 2020 will hopefully change this and we will finally get a Japanese 3rd Party 1M seller on the system. I though Yo-kai 4 would do it this year, but I guess Level-5 aren't able maintain a successful IP. I think based on Ring Fit and that other Boxing game the 1M seller won't be a big budget game but rather - something that resonates with an audience. If I was a Japanese 3rd party right now, I'd be thinking about a complimentary game to Animal Crossing with small budget, something that would be attractive to a female audience. Since I'm neither Japanese or a women, I can't really think of something but that would be a smart idea. But Japanese 3rd parties are so far behind the curve that I think maybe a smaller indie dev might eat their lunch at this point.

Hell, Human Fall Flat platform-puzzle video game developed by a single Lithuanian has probably sold more digital copies than any 3rd party game not named Minecraft. I don't think I've ever seen that game exit the top 10 in Japan since releasing. The game had sold 5M copies world wide across all platforms by Feb 2019, I wouldn't be surprised if it's close to 1M in Japan with it's lower price, constant promotions and constant place in the Top of the Digital Charts in the last few years. Overcooked 1/2 is another one I'd say has been doing pretty well in Japan and Japanese 3rd Parties are simply not doing enough and experimenting enough.

Obviously if a new Monster Hunter does end up on the Switch I expect that to easily sell more than 1M but judging from Capcom's output on the system so far, I will believe it when I see it. 

Last edited by noshten - on 29 May 2020

As you may have guessed, I mistook the letters "l" and "r". I'm sorry.

A lot of third parties in Japan take a very short-sighted approach, and it's not a good idea not to let them sell for a long time.Konami, Namco, Sega, etc. have some very attractive past series, but they can't capitalize on them in the slightest.
I think that companies like Nintendo and Capcom are doing well today because they've been nurturing their IP for a long time.

Yeah when it comes to the Switch, Japanese third parties (actually most Western third parties too) are fucking idiots.

The system is set to have a near-monopoly on the Japanese market until its replacement by its own successor, yet it's treated as if it's another Wii U. By now it should have its own Monster Hunter game, ports of stuff like RE7 and Nier Automata, more AA exclusives along the lines of Bravely Default II...

nantonaku said:

What about the Switch hybrid doing better than the Lite in Japan? Is that not a good sign for home consoles?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!