By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 21, 2020 (May 18 - May 24)

Tagged games:

What are the top 10 selling 3rd party games on Switch? DQXI, Minecraft,

Around the Network
Farsala said:

In Japan, or globally?

Hard to say really, as VGChartz now only tracks shipments and companies don't always report on how their games sell.

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

In Japan, or globally?

Hard to say really, as VGChartz now only tracks shipments and companies don't always report on how their games sell.

Just Japan since we presumably have the info.

Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

In Japan, or globally?

According to Famitsu, Minecraft and DQ11 do seem to be the highest in physical copies, at least as of the most recent data I could find which was from 3 months ago.

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

According to Famitsu, Minecraft and DQ11 do seem to be the highest in physical copies, at least as of the most recent data I could find which was from 3 months ago.

How about the others? I have a hard time thinking of them, when so much of the top 30 is just Nintendo games.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

How about the others? I have a hard time thinking of them, when so much of the top 30 is just Nintendo games.

You only get out what you put in; what games have Japanese third parties released on Switch that you'd expect to do as well as major first party games? Virtually none.

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

You only get out what you put in; what games have Japanese third parties released on Switch that you'd expect to do as well as major first party games? Virtually none.

I mean I feel like some games should outsell the lower Nintendo games. We see games like Arms sell 470k in Japan, while a game like Doom, Wolfenstein, Nobunaga's Ambition, Dragon Quest Heroes, Dragon Quest Builders etc. be shunned by Switch users.

Pyro as Bill said:
nantonaku said:
It's true that the Switch is selling well, but more than that, it's become the norm to play games on smartphones in Japan. People aren't interested in AAA titles.
I'd like to see more Japanese publishers release more games, but most publishers are focusing on mobile because genres like JRPGs make easy money on the root box. Everyone is always talking about the root box and I'm sick of it. 
Most of the core gamers who are interested in the PS5 also have a PC, so it's going to be tough to compete.

What about the Switch hybrid doing better than the Lite in Japan? Is that not a good sign for home consoles?

It's true that the Switch is doing very well, but due to the large drop in PS4, it doesn't feel like it's getting much of a boost as a whole.
But I think it's picked up compared to the 3DS era.
I didn't expect the regular Switch to be selling better than the Lite.
I think it's a good trend, but I have a feeling that publishers who focus too much on mobile won't be able to ride this trend.
In fact, it's not as mobile-focused as the currently popular publishers like Capcom and FromSoftware.

The console versions of popular mobile games like GBVS and Azur Lane have been released in recent years and I thought they would be popular on consoles, but they seem to be selling surprisingly poorly due to a different customer base.

Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

I mean I feel like some games should outsell the lower Nintendo games. We see games like Arms sell 470k in Japan, while a game like Doom, Wolfenstein, Nobunaga's Ambition, Dragon Quest Heroes, Dragon Quest Builders etc. be shunned by Switch users.

To my knowledge Japan generally shuns the likes of Doom or Wolfenstein regardless of platform. Never saw sales figures for the others but they're not exactly top shelf releases.

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

To my knowledge Japan generally shuns the likes of Doom or Wolfenstein regardless of platform. Never saw sales figures for the others but they're not exactly top shelf releases.

So aside from Minecraft and DQXI, you don't think a single third party game on the Switch deserves as good of sales as Arms?