By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much storage will you add to PS5 or XSX?

How much storage will you add to PS5 or XSX in the first year?

1 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 4 12.90%

2 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 5 16.13%

4 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 2 6.45%

4 - 5 TB external 2.5'' USB-HDD 1 3.23%

4 - 5 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 3 9.68%

6 - 8 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 1 3.23%

10 - 14 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 0 0%

16 - 28 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 0 0%

1 - 4 TB SSD + external USB-HDD 2 6.45%

none, the internal SSDs will be enough 13 41.94%

Total:31

I know I like to have multiple games on my system and not have to always delete or reinstall when I want to come back to it. If a game has good MP, I might keep multiple of those type of games on my drive as I get bored playing the same game all the time. I like to go from big games like RPG to your basic shooter, then your easy to jump in games which you can play for 10 15 mins with no big commitment. So as for storage goes, I usually only purchase a larger or extra storage when I get close to the max. I currently run a 4TB in my XoneX but then again it was very cheap when I bought it. I probably will do the same for either system I get when prices and deals are at their best.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

6 games installed at once is plenty, I usually play just one game at a time, not common to play 3 games in rotation. So as long as I can play the game of the moment and perhaps download install the next game I can manage with just small hustle.

External storage would be just for storage, then transfer to internal memory, don't think I'll do it first year but I don't intend on buying expensive extra storage;

I don't really see the point of external storage. I'm not going to wait 30 minutes to copy a game to HDD then another 30 minutes to copy it back when I want to play it again. You might as well re-install from disc or re-download over night. Spending a lot of money on a fast 2tb SSD to speed up the 'back up' process feels like a waste. I rather spend that on game I can re-download or re-install any time.

Anyway game sizes should get smaller next gen without the need to store light maps and multiple levels of detail (some still needed probably but not as much as currently) The hardware decompression will also help with game sizes.

Likely none for the first few years.

I have no intention of filling the SSD with a bunch of games I'm not playing lol

At max I play like 4 games at a time and even then I consider that a bad habit. Would rather focus on no more than 2.

The only staples on my PS4 Pro are multiplayer focused games, just incase friends come over.
´

If I lived with my brothers I might get 1-2TFlops because we'd be playing different games

How much storage does each console look like it's going to have out of the box?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:

825GB PS5, 1TB. XSX. But you need to consider that at least 100GB would be unusable for both so you can subtract this.

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

825GB PS5, 1TB. XSX. But you need to consider that at least 100GB would be unusable for both so you can subtract this.

So MS is putting HDD in but allowing for SSD (that slot on the XB) but Sony is putting a slightly smaller SSD in? Or are they both SSD but Sony's is superior tech?

Pyro as Bill said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

So MS is putting HDD in but allowing for SSD (that slot on the XB) but Sony is putting a slightly smaller SSD in? Or are they both SSD but Sony's is superior tech?

Both SSDs but Sony's is better

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
Pyro as Bill said:

So both of them could knock $100 off if they really wanted to.

Conina said:
COKTOE said:
My plan right now is to keep running the Pro anyways, so I won't be using the PS5 for BC if I hold to that.

Why keep the PS4 Pro, if the PS4 games run better and quieter and with less loading times on the PS5?

Well, for now, I guess an "overwhelming majority" of games will be backwards compatible. My library is fairly large, so it's certainly possible some of what I have won't work. It just did a quick count, and I have around 400 on PS4, give or take a couple. And as for the running better aspect, sure, but I'm speculating that for some of them, the boost might not matter much, if at all, so I actually prefer to have a secondary system to be in service, to divide the wear and tear somewhat.

Plus, there's some extra storage space. And I'm lazy. Don't have to pack it up and take it in for trade. I actually did the same thing when I got the Pro, and kept the base PS4....Ended up not using it at all, not even once, and traded it for credit about a year later, so we'll see how things shake out this time.

- Just did another quick count, this time not guessing my digital numbers and actually looking at them, and it's 371 physical + digital. Doesn't change much. Still could be some that are incompatible. Someone will make a list of incompatible games at some point down the road.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 27 May 2020

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Pyro as Bill said:
Captain_Yuri said:

So both of them could knock $100 off if they really wanted to.

By going to a smaller size?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850