By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much storage will you add to PS5 or XSX?

 

How much storage will you add to PS5 or XSX in the first year?

1 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 4 12.90%
 
2 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 5 16.13%
 
4 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 2 6.45%
 
4 - 5 TB external 2.5'' USB-HDD 1 3.23%
 
4 - 5 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 3 9.68%
 
6 - 8 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 1 3.23%
 
10 - 14 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 0 0%
 
16 - 28 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 0 0%
 
1 - 4 TB SSD + external USB-HDD 2 6.45%
 
none, the internal SSDs will be enough 13 41.94%
 
Total:31
Angelus said:
shikamaru317 said:

I will probably buy a 1 TB expansion card for my Xbox Series X at some point, once the price on them goes down some. The 1 TB drive it comes with is not going to hold very many games sadly, current gen AAA games are already averaging over 40 GB, with some games like RDR2 and AC Odyssey hitting as high as 150 GB with DLC. If current gen games are already that big, next-gen games will be even bigger thanks to higher quality textures and other higher quality assets. 100 GB+ will likely become common for AAA games next gen, which means you'll only be able to fit maybe 8-9 average sized AAA games on the XSX drive, since some space will be taken up by the OS.

PS5 has an even bigger problem, because it is only 825 GB, with some of that taken up by the OS you may only be able to fit like 6 or 7 average sized next-gen AAA's on it.

They're big, but you went a bit over there. Odyssey is like 96 with all the DLC, and RDR2...doesn't have DLC, does it? That one is sitting at around 120 for me atm.

Xbox store has AC Odyssey Gold Edition (the edition that includes DLC) listed as requiring 141 GB of space I think. Maybe their listing is off though, maybe Ubisoft managed to shrink it some with better compression and it came in smaller than they originally planned when the listing was made. 

I was referring to RDR2 Online updates when I said DLC there, I assume the stuff they have been adding for online has been adding to the file size. I don't have it installed currently, but I heard it was very big. 



Around the Network

Most likely none, never bothered upgrading the hard drive of any of my other consoles (Aside from one of my PS3's, OG 60GB to a 500GB I had spare) and haven't had problems with storage so far...



For the prices a good SSD will have probably won't add any. At least launch. At most I will have some big HDD if the transfer from one to the other is adequate.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Its funny that people even think 3-5TB would be enough for next gen + their ps4 library.

10TB will be the bare minimum, if games would have assets like that unreal engine 5 demo, then 100GB games will be a minimum, many games will go up to 200GB with updates and patches and DLCs. Most people already have at least 2TB of ps4 games. The PS5 will fit around 600GB, thats like 3-5 games.

The good news is that the difference won't be as much as from ps3 to ps4, when we had most games at under 25GB with very tiny updates in the megabytes.



DonFerrari said:
For the prices a good SSD will have probably won't add any. At least launch. At most I will have some big HDD if the transfer from one to the other is adequate.

If you intend to install ps5 games, you will need most likely a very good ssd to make the most of the games, the SSD of the ps5 is faster than any ssd currently on the market. So prices will be very high indeed.



Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I will probably buy a 1 TB expansion card for my Xbox Series X at some point, once the price on them goes down some. The 1 TB drive it comes with is not going to hold very many games sadly, current gen AAA games are already averaging over 40 GB, with some games like RDR2 and AC Odyssey hitting as high as 150 GB with DLC. If current gen games are already that big, next-gen games will be even bigger thanks to higher quality textures and other higher quality assets. 100 GB+ will likely become common for AAA games next gen, which means you'll only be able to fit maybe 8-9 average sized AAA games on the XSX drive, since some space will be taken up by the OS.

PS5 has an even bigger problem, because it is only 825 GB, with some of that taken up by the OS you may only be able to fit like 6 or 7 average sized next-gen AAA's on it.

6 games installed at once is plenty, I usually play just one game at a time, not common to play 3 games in rotation. So as long as I can play the game of the moment and perhaps download install the next game I can manage with just small hustle.

victor83fernandes said:
DonFerrari said:
For the prices a good SSD will have probably won't add any. At least launch. At most I will have some big HDD if the transfer from one to the other is adequate.

If you intend to install ps5 games, you will need most likely a very good ssd to make the most of the games, the SSD of the ps5 is faster than any ssd currently on the market. So prices will be very high indeed.

External storage would be just for storage, then transfer to internal memory, don't think I'll do it first year but I don't intend on buying expensive extra storage;



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I know I like to have multiple games on my system and not have to always delete or reinstall when I want to come back to it. If a game has good MP, I might keep multiple of those type of games on my drive as I get bored playing the same game all the time. I like to go from big games like RPG to your basic shooter, then your easy to jump in games which you can play for 10 15 mins with no big commitment. So as for storage goes, I usually only purchase a larger or extra storage when I get close to the max. I currently run a 4TB in my XoneX but then again it was very cheap when I bought it. I probably will do the same for either system I get when prices and deals are at their best.



DonFerrari said:

6 games installed at once is plenty, I usually play just one game at a time, not common to play 3 games in rotation. So as long as I can play the game of the moment and perhaps download install the next game I can manage with just small hustle.

External storage would be just for storage, then transfer to internal memory, don't think I'll do it first year but I don't intend on buying expensive extra storage;

I don't really see the point of external storage. I'm not going to wait 30 minutes to copy a game to HDD then another 30 minutes to copy it back when I want to play it again. You might as well re-install from disc or re-download over night. Spending a lot of money on a fast 2tb SSD to speed up the 'back up' process feels like a waste. I rather spend that on game I can re-download or re-install any time.

Anyway game sizes should get smaller next gen without the need to store light maps and multiple levels of detail (some still needed probably but not as much as currently) The hardware decompression will also help with game sizes.



Likely none for the first few years.

I have no intention of filling the SSD with a bunch of games I'm not playing lol

At max I play like 4 games at a time and even then I consider that a bad habit. Would rather focus on no more than 2.

The only staples on my PS4 Pro are multiplayer focused games, just incase friends come over.
´

If I lived with my brothers I might get 1-2TFlops because we'd be playing different games



How much storage does each console look like it's going to have out of the box?



Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!