By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much storage will you add to PS5 or XSX?

How much storage will you add to PS5 or XSX in the first year?

1 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 4 12.90%

2 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 5 16.13%

4 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 2 6.45%

4 - 5 TB external 2.5'' USB-HDD 1 3.23%

4 - 5 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 3 9.68%

6 - 8 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 1 3.23%

10 - 14 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 0 0%

16 - 28 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 0 0%

1 - 4 TB SSD + external USB-HDD 2 6.45%

none, the internal SSDs will be enough 13 41.94%

Total:31

~1TB for games has gotten me by just fine on both console and PC this generation. Even if games get up to 200GB next gen I don't see that really changing. One storage upgrade I will probably want to make though is from my current SATA SSD to a PS5+ level NVMe drive whenever the time is right.

Around the Network

Don't imagine I'll need one, unless games become ridiculously large next gen. As long as I can keep an assortment of my favorite games installed for instant access, everything else isn't really a big deal. I have pretty good internet these days, so deleting and (re-)installing games isn't much of a hassle for me.

COKTOE said:
My plan right now is to keep running the Pro anyways, so I won't be using the PS5 for BC if I hold to that.

Why keep the PS4 Pro, if the PS4 games run better and quieter and with less loading times on the PS5?

vivster said:
Since I only have 1 TV like a pleb I'll only be able to play one game at a time. So unless they release a game that's bigger than the internal storage I don't think I'll upgrade.

I move the console around and don't want more dangly bits to move with the console. No power brick, no external HDD and hopefully no more breakout box next gen. I've thought about gluing the thing on top of the ps4 pro. (Good thing I didn't since I got the newer version later with 4K pass through and different connectors for the v2 headset)

I hope game sizes will decrease next gen because of SSD just like Mark Cerny said in that "Road to PS5" conference. So, I will only need maybe 1TB extra storage at best. Probably not gonna buy any extra at launch as I already have 2TB external HDD on current gen and it should be fine for all current gen games without enhancements

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I will probably buy a 1 TB expansion card for my Xbox Series X at some point, once the price on them goes down some. The 1 TB drive it comes with is not going to hold very many games sadly, current gen AAA games are already averaging over 40 GB, with some games like RDR2 and AC Odyssey hitting as high as 150 GB with DLC. If current gen games are already that big, next-gen games will be even bigger thanks to higher quality textures and other higher quality assets. 100 GB+ will likely become common for AAA games next gen, which means you'll only be able to fit maybe 8-9 average sized AAA games on the XSX drive, since some space will be taken up by the OS.

PS5 has an even bigger problem, because it is only 825 GB, with some of that taken up by the OS you may only be able to fit like 6 or 7 average sized next-gen AAA's on it.

They're big, but you went a bit over there. Odyssey is like 96 with all the DLC, and RDR2...doesn't have DLC, does it? That one is sitting at around 120 for me atm.

For the prices a good SSD will have probably won't add any. At least launch. At most I will have some big HDD if the transfer from one to the other is adequate.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Its funny that people even think 3-5TB would be enough for next gen + their ps4 library.

10TB will be the bare minimum, if games would have assets like that unreal engine 5 demo, then 100GB games will be a minimum, many games will go up to 200GB with updates and patches and DLCs. Most people already have at least 2TB of ps4 games. The PS5 will fit around 600GB, thats like 3-5 games.

The good news is that the difference won't be as much as from ps3 to ps4, when we had most games at under 25GB with very tiny updates in the megabytes.

DonFerrari said:
For the prices a good SSD will have probably won't add any. At least launch. At most I will have some big HDD if the transfer from one to the other is adequate.

If you intend to install ps5 games, you will need most likely a very good ssd to make the most of the games, the SSD of the ps5 is faster than any ssd currently on the market. So prices will be very high indeed.

shikamaru317 said:

I will probably buy a 1 TB expansion card for my Xbox Series X at some point, once the price on them goes down some. The 1 TB drive it comes with is not going to hold very many games sadly, current gen AAA games are already averaging over 40 GB, with some games like RDR2 and AC Odyssey hitting as high as 150 GB with DLC. If current gen games are already that big, next-gen games will be even bigger thanks to higher quality textures and other higher quality assets. 100 GB+ will likely become common for AAA games next gen, which means you'll only be able to fit maybe 8-9 average sized AAA games on the XSX drive, since some space will be taken up by the OS.

PS5 has an even bigger problem, because it is only 825 GB, with some of that taken up by the OS you may only be able to fit like 6 or 7 average sized next-gen AAA's on it.

6 games installed at once is plenty, I usually play just one game at a time, not common to play 3 games in rotation. So as long as I can play the game of the moment and perhaps download install the next game I can manage with just small hustle.

victor83fernandes said:
DonFerrari said:

If you intend to install ps5 games, you will need most likely a very good ssd to make the most of the games, the SSD of the ps5 is faster than any ssd currently on the market. So prices will be very high indeed.

External storage would be just for storage, then transfer to internal memory, don't think I'll do it first year but I don't intend on buying expensive extra storage;

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."