By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much storage will you add to PS5 or XSX?

How much storage will you add to PS5 or XSX in the first year?

1 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 4 12.90%

2 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 5 16.13%

4 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 2 6.45%

4 - 5 TB external 2.5'' USB-HDD 1 3.23%

4 - 5 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 3 9.68%

6 - 8 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 1 3.23%

10 - 14 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 0 0%

16 - 28 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 0 0%

1 - 4 TB SSD + external USB-HDD 2 6.45%

none, the internal SSDs will be enough 13 41.94%

Total:31

Will probably do what i've done with PS4, delete the game when i'm finished with it

Nothing to see here, move along

Around the Network

Adding the Maximum possible Internal and External to both consoles Day One, and will continue to upgrade Internal as larger capacities become available.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I bought a 4TB external for my PS4 Pro back in 2017....Still haven’t opened it and just delete stuff. So I'll probably do the same thing with the PS5. My plan right now is to keep running the Pro anyways, so I won't be using the PS5 for BC if I hold to that.

YOU WILL SERVE THE BRIGHT LORD!

~1TB for games has gotten me by just fine on both console and PC this generation. Even if games get up to 200GB next gen I don't see that really changing. One storage upgrade I will probably want to make though is from my current SATA SSD to a PS5+ level NVMe drive whenever the time is right.

Don't imagine I'll need one, unless games become ridiculously large next gen. As long as I can keep an assortment of my favorite games installed for instant access, everything else isn't really a big deal. I have pretty good internet these days, so deleting and (re-)installing games isn't much of a hassle for me.

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
My plan right now is to keep running the Pro anyways, so I won't be using the PS5 for BC if I hold to that.

Why keep the PS4 Pro, if the PS4 games run better and quieter and with less loading times on the PS5?

vivster said:
Since I only have 1 TV like a pleb I'll only be able to play one game at a time. So unless they release a game that's bigger than the internal storage I don't think I'll upgrade.

I move the console around and don't want more dangly bits to move with the console. No power brick, no external HDD and hopefully no more breakout box next gen. I've thought about gluing the thing on top of the ps4 pro. (Good thing I didn't since I got the newer version later with 4K pass through and different connectors for the v2 headset)

I will probably buy a 1 TB expansion card for my Xbox Series X at some point, once the price on them goes down some. The 1 TB drive it comes with is not going to hold very many games sadly, current gen AAA games are already averaging over 40 GB, with some games like RDR2 and AC Odyssey hitting as high as 150 GB with DLC. If current gen games are already that big, next-gen games will be even bigger thanks to higher quality textures and other higher quality assets. 100 GB+ will likely become common for AAA games next gen, which means you'll only be able to fit maybe 8-9 average sized AAA games on the XSX drive, since some space will be taken up by the OS.

PS5 has an even bigger problem, because it is only 825 GB, with some of that taken up by the OS you may only be able to fit like 6 or 7 average sized next-gen AAA's on it.

I hope game sizes will decrease next gen because of SSD just like Mark Cerny said in that "Road to PS5" conference. So, I will only need maybe 1TB extra storage at best. Probably not gonna buy any extra at launch as I already have 2TB external HDD on current gen and it should be fine for all current gen games without enhancements

shikamaru317 said:

I will probably buy a 1 TB expansion card for my Xbox Series X at some point, once the price on them goes down some. The 1 TB drive it comes with is not going to hold very many games sadly, current gen AAA games are already averaging over 40 GB, with some games like RDR2 and AC Odyssey hitting as high as 150 GB with DLC. If current gen games are already that big, next-gen games will be even bigger thanks to higher quality textures and other higher quality assets. 100 GB+ will likely become common for AAA games next gen, which means you'll only be able to fit maybe 8-9 average sized AAA games on the XSX drive, since some space will be taken up by the OS.

PS5 has an even bigger problem, because it is only 825 GB, with some of that taken up by the OS you may only be able to fit like 6 or 7 average sized next-gen AAA's on it.

They're big, but you went a bit over there. Odyssey is like 96 with all the DLC, and RDR2...doesn't have DLC, does it? That one is sitting at around 120 for me atm.