By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much storage will you add to PS5 or XSX?

How much storage will you add to PS5 or XSX in the first year?

1 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 4 12.90%

2 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 5 16.13%

4 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 2 6.45%

4 - 5 TB external 2.5'' USB-HDD 1 3.23%

4 - 5 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 3 9.68%

6 - 8 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 1 3.23%

10 - 14 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 0 0%

16 - 28 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 0 0%

1 - 4 TB SSD + external USB-HDD 2 6.45%

none, the internal SSDs will be enough 13 41.94%

Total:31

Thanks to backwards compatibility, many of us want to move quite large software libraries from PS4 or Xbox One to their successors. New AAA games on the new devices probably won't be small either, so the internal 825 - 1000 GB will be filled up quite fast.

Both PS5 and XSX can be extended with fast SSDs, but neither option (PS5-compatible NVME-SSDs with strict speed requirements or proprietary Xbox-SSD-"cartridges") will be cheap.

Instead of deleting games from the SSD(s) and redownload them (or their huge patches) later, you could move them to an external HDD and move them back to SSD when you need them again. That should be much faster than redownloading them or reinstalling them from Blu-ray (plus redownloading mandatory patches). In some countries that would also ease the internet data cap problem.

Additionally PS4 and Xbox One games can be started from external HDDs and even if the loading times will be much longer than from SSD, I expect them to be noticable shorter than on the current consoles, since the "Jaguar handbrake" gets released.

So how much (and what kind of) additional storage will you probably add to your PS5 or XSX in the first year?

Around the Network

Since I only have 1 TV like a pleb I'll only be able to play one game at a time. So unless they release a game that's bigger than the internal storage I don't think I'll upgrade.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I buy mostly physical games, so I don't need to upgrade.

600 for the console and 300 euro for a 4tb ssd? 900 for the best game experience outside of PC gaming

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Probably 1-2TB Nvme after the first couple years as I expect the game file sizes to be super dumb next gen but I also expect SSD prices to come down.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

I usually delete a fans after completing it so I'll take a wait and see approach unless there is a premium model that extra benefits other than more storage.

trunkswd said:
kirby007 said:
600 for the console and 300 euro for a 4tb ssd? 900 for the best game experience outside of PC gaming

I'm still holding out for a $499 / 499 euro launch price for both consoles. 

no way these consoles are launching with 2 job specs

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Will probably do what i've done with PS4, delete the game when i'm finished with it

Adding the Maximum possible Internal and External to both consoles Day One, and will continue to upgrade Internal as larger capacities become available.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I bought a 4TB external for my PS4 Pro back in 2017....Still haven’t opened it and just delete stuff. So I'll probably do the same thing with the PS5. My plan right now is to keep running the Pro anyways, so I won't be using the PS5 for BC if I hold to that.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."