By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much storage will you add to PS5 or XSX?

How much storage will you add to PS5 or XSX in the first year?

1 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 4 12.90%

2 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 5 16.13%

4 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 2 6.45%

4 - 5 TB external 2.5'' USB-HDD 1 3.23%

4 - 5 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 3 9.68%

6 - 8 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 1 3.23%

10 - 14 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 0 0%

16 - 28 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 0 0%

1 - 4 TB SSD + external USB-HDD 2 6.45%

none, the internal SSDs will be enough 13 41.94%

Total:31
Pyro as Bill said:
How much storage does each console look like it's going to have out of the box?

825GB PS5, 1TB. XSX. But you need to consider that at least 100GB would be unusable for both so you can subtract this.

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:
Pyro as Bill said:
How much storage does each console look like it's going to have out of the box?

825GB PS5, 1TB. XSX. But you need to consider that at least 100GB would be unusable for both so you can subtract this.

So MS is putting HDD in but allowing for SSD (that slot on the XB) but Sony is putting a slightly smaller SSD in? Or are they both SSD but Sony's is superior tech?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

So MS is putting HDD in but allowing for SSD (that slot on the XB) but Sony is putting a slightly smaller SSD in? Or are they both SSD but Sony's is superior tech?

Both SSDs but Sony's is better

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Captain_Yuri said:
Pyro as Bill said:

So both of them could knock $100 off if they really wanted to.

Conina said:
COKTOE said:
My plan right now is to keep running the Pro anyways, so I won't be using the PS5 for BC if I hold to that.

Why keep the PS4 Pro, if the PS4 games run better and quieter and with less loading times on the PS5?

Well, for now, I guess an "overwhelming majority" of games will be backwards compatible. My library is fairly large, so it's certainly possible some of what I have won't work. It just did a quick count, and I have around 400 on PS4, give or take a couple. And as for the running better aspect, sure, but I'm speculating that for some of them, the boost might not matter much, if at all, so I actually prefer to have a secondary system to be in service, to divide the wear and tear somewhat.

Plus, there's some extra storage space. And I'm lazy. Don't have to pack it up and take it in for trade. I actually did the same thing when I got the Pro, and kept the base PS4....Ended up not using it at all, not even once, and traded it for credit about a year later, so we'll see how things shake out this time.

- Just did another quick count, this time not guessing my digital numbers and actually looking at them, and it's 371 physical + digital. Doesn't change much. Still could be some that are incompatible. Someone will make a list of incompatible games at some point down the road.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 27 May 2020

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
Captain_Yuri said:

By going to a smaller size?

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Captain_Yuri said:
Pyro as Bill said:

By going to a smaller size?

Yeah. 120GB or 240GB hybrid. I like the idea of having 6 games in suspended state simultaneously and I'd pay $100 for the privilege but if I was trying to win a console war......... 

I only play one game at a time, so I have no issue deleting and installing.

Though the Switch did get me into the habit of storing all digital games on several Micro SD cards, so we will see.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I added internally to my PS3 and I added to my PS4. Not sure about year one but I'd like 4TB internal eventually.

1TB in the Pro has sufficed so far, so if I do expand at some point it maybe to just add another 1TB. Storage has only been a problem on console when I allow it to be. I've been keeping 15+ games installed on PS4 while really playing no more than 4 within a month.

My 64GB microSD has so far proven to be a bit of a waste. I keep games like Smash installed but I haven't touched Smash since... maybe April I think.

EDIT: Same situation with my vita. Got 64GB for no reason. Tons of stuff installed but I've been playing 1 game.

EDIT 2: PC is the worst offender. There I have games I'm not playing still installed because I don't want to reinstall mods if i want to play them again in the future. Some of these games have ultrawide fixes or script editors that are 3rd party programs that run concurrently with the game and in some cases I; don't remember how to use the program; where I saved it; or even what the name or what it looks like in case I come across it again. Probably best to delete some of these and just relearn what to do when I feel like playing the game again.

Last edited by Dgc1808 - on 27 May 2020

4 ≈ One