By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much storage will you add to PS5 or XSX?

 

How much storage will you add to PS5 or XSX in the first year?

1 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 4 12.90%
 
2 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 5 16.13%
 
4 TB SSD (PS5-compatible NVME or XSX-SSD) 2 6.45%
 
4 - 5 TB external 2.5'' USB-HDD 1 3.23%
 
4 - 5 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 3 9.68%
 
6 - 8 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 1 3.23%
 
10 - 14 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 0 0%
 
16 - 28 TB external 3.5'' USB-HDD 0 0%
 
1 - 4 TB SSD + external USB-HDD 2 6.45%
 
none, the internal SSDs will be enough 13 41.94%
 
Total:31
Pyro as Bill said:
SvennoJ said:

Online games (waiting for other players to load) and games with a lot of streaming (which are most big games) should really be on the SSD at all times. Last gen games and cross gen games can be on the HDD sure, however with a 250GB SSD, OS takes 100GB or more, you're already left to 2 games. I also doubt it would be $100 less at retail to go to a 250GB SSD. But we still have to see what the specs are for the Series S. Perhaps that will have a much smaller SSD. It should not have a HDD or hybrid drive though, at some point developers will need to have the freedom to leave tragically slow streaming behind.

You're right. The price difference is probably closer to $50. SSD prices have come down more than I realised and 480GB and 1TB seem to the best price/size option.

Still, the amount of space needed in the first year isn't the same as in later years so I'd still take the £50 price drop with a 240GB/480GB and add my own USB SSD/HDD as and when it's needed.

Can Sony and MS's proprietary SSDs be replaced with larger sizes or can you only add to them?

On MS side probably no. There is a render of Series X motherboard with SSD shown in it and it seems like the form factor of this SSD is proprietary and not what you see in PCs. For PS5, we still don't know but I think it would use standard M2 SSD which would be user-replaceable just like HDD on PS4 was.



 

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
Conina said:

30 minutes? Most external USB3.0-HDDs can read or write 130 - 170 MB/s, that's 8 - 10 GB per minute.

So a 80 - 100 GB game can be copied in ten minutes, a 40 - 50 GB game in five minutes.

USB-SSDs can go even faster. 100GB in less than 2 minutes.

Most external SSDs with USB-connection will be SATA-drives inside, so they'll probably copy ~30 GB per minute (500 GB x 60 seconds), but yeah external SSDs or HDD-raids (My Book Duo) should be able to copy 100-GB-games in 3 - 4 minutes.



I don’t think I’ll need it. I’ll use the console to store whatever I want but for others I’ll just use Xcloud and stream them off the console. No need to buy storage.



Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

 

Pyro as Bill said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Oh I see. So every time they want to play a game that's on the hard drive, they would need to either uninstall from the ssd and then wait for the transfer from the hard drive or wait until the game in the ssd transfers from the ssd to the hard drive and then another game transfers from the hard drive to the ssd.

Interesting suggestion to be sure with the cost benefits in mind.

They could still run the game from the HDD but if they wanted the fastest load times they'd need to copy/transfer to the SSD. Last gen games and smaller current gen games would all load at the same speed they do now from the HDD.

The type of development they want to use the SSD isn't only reducing loading time, if it was for that they could just avoid SSD at whole.

There is no point in running from HDD as that would make the games being planned unplayable.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Pyro as Bill said:
SvennoJ said:

Online games (waiting for other players to load) and games with a lot of streaming (which are most big games) should really be on the SSD at all times. Last gen games and cross gen games can be on the HDD sure, however with a 250GB SSD, OS takes 100GB or more, you're already left to 2 games. I also doubt it would be $100 less at retail to go to a 250GB SSD. But we still have to see what the specs are for the Series S. Perhaps that will have a much smaller SSD. It should not have a HDD or hybrid drive though, at some point developers will need to have the freedom to leave tragically slow streaming behind.

You're right. The price difference is probably closer to $50. SSD prices have come down more than I realised and 480GB and 1TB seem to the best price/size option.

Still, the amount of space needed in the first year isn't the same as in later years so I'd still take the £50 price drop with a 240GB/480GB and add my own USB SSD/HDD as and when it's needed.

Can Sony and MS's proprietary SSDs be replaced with larger sizes or can you only add to them?

We don't know if any of them can be replaced.

But we know that XSX have a slot of propietary SSD to increase the storage and that Sony is looking at alternatives (there is none at the moment), we aren't sure if you are supposed to substitute in the same slot or use USB (more likely the first option).



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Conina said:
SvennoJ said:

I don't really see the point of external storage. I'm not going to wait 30 minutes to copy a game to HDD then another 30 minutes to copy it back when I want to play it again.

30 minutes? Most external USB3.0-HDDs can read or write 130 - 170 MB/s, that's 8 - 10 GB per minute.

So a 80 - 100 GB game can be copied in ten minutes, a 40 - 50 GB game in five minutes.

It takes 35 minutes to copy GTS (108 GB) atm. It's read plus write on the same drive, so from HDD to SSD it shouldn't be more than 20 minutes.
Theoretically it should be a lot faster yet HDDs hate tons of little files. Read and write speed drops to 1/10th when game files are a collection of small files.

On the right is my HDD inside my laptop (which is rated at 103 MB/s read / 97 MB/s write speed)

It depends on the game file structure.

Anyway doesn't matter if it's 5 or 30 minutes, not gonna wait when the whole point of SSD is, turn on and play in half a minute.



SvennoJ said:

Anyway doesn't matter if it's 5 or 30 minutes, not gonna wait when the whole point of SSD is, turn on and play in half a minute.

We are talking about situations where there was't enough space on the SSD.

So the alternative from copying a 100 GB game within 10 - 15 minutes from HDD to SSD would be reinstalling 50 GB from disc (30 - 60 minutes) plus redownloading lots of GB patches from Sony's servers (hours).



Conina said:
SvennoJ said:

Anyway doesn't matter if it's 5 or 30 minutes, not gonna wait when the whole point of SSD is, turn on and play in half a minute.

We are talking about situations where there was't enough space on the SSD.

So the alternative from copying a 100 GB game within 10 - 15 minutes from HDD to SSD would be reinstalling 50 GB from disc (30 - 60 minutes) plus redownloading lots of GB patches from Sony's servers (hours).

True, hence I'm not planning on buying more (active) games than can fit on the SSD. I've spend too much on games I never even play.
Plus it doesn't matter if it's 10-15 minutes or the next day. I don't see the appeal of an external disk (that can fail as well) when you have to copy things back and forth for optimal performance. I don't even bother with that on my laptop where they are both build in.

Downloading patches doesn't take hours btw, unless you play something else while downloading. Hopefully that will be improved next gen so it doesn't slow down to a crawl when downloading while gaming. Hence I usually end up doing something else when there's a mandatory patch and won't play that game until the next day.



SvennoJ said:
Conina said:

We are talking about situations where there was't enough space on the SSD.

So the alternative from copying a 100 GB game within 10 - 15 minutes from HDD to SSD would be reinstalling 50 GB from disc (30 - 60 minutes) plus redownloading lots of GB patches from Sony's servers (hours).

True, hence I'm not planning on buying more (active) games than can fit on the SSD. I've spend too much on games I never even play.
Plus it doesn't matter if it's 10-15 minutes or the next day. I don't see the appeal of an external disk (that can fail as well) when you have to copy things back and forth for optimal performance. I don't even bother with that on my laptop where they are both build in.

Downloading patches doesn't take hours btw, unless you play something else while downloading. Hopefully that will be improved next gen so it doesn't slow down to a crawl when downloading while gaming. Hence I usually end up doing something else when there's a mandatory patch and won't play that game until the next day.

Since I almost only play offline games even the patches can be ignored and play while it download.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."