By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - In the last full FY of 19/20 Nintendo generates more operating profit than Sony(G&NS), Capcom, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Konami, and Sega Sammy combined.

Otter said:

Oh thats surprising. Did anyone else read somewhere that Playstation Network alone made more revenue than the all of Nintendo?

Im bad with these fiscal reports, too much data

PSN for a couple of years has made more money than the entirety of Nintendo. This FY its slight below.

Playstation as a whole made more money that Nintendo and MS Gaming combined for a few years. This FY, its below both combined.

Around the Network

Most companies last FY are in significant R&D mode with very few releases. Nintendo on the other hand had many releases last FY, and might be slowing down for this FY. I am sure the delayed Sony games didn't help at all, but in the next FY the profits will cover for the rest of PS5 R&D+ Marketing I suppose.

It is good to see most companies doing quite well.

Blood_Tears said:
sethnintendo said:

Wish Nintendo would make a bold moved and pick up a major Japanese third party through buy out. I think Capcom would be perfect with all their IPs and they could even leave their games on PC and mobile while moving everything else to Switch after last games in development for MS and Sony are released.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/capcom-fy3-20-software-shipments-physical-units-down-51-5-yoy-ps4-66-nsw-23-xb1-6-of-shipments.1542501/

I don't think Capcom would go for that since 66% of their software shipments are for PS4 which has a huge fanbase on that platform. Also with the new direction Capcom has taken with Monster Hunter (World) the Switch would struggle to handle that game and any future sequel for it.

I was thinking they could still pump DLC or new Monster Hunter World for PC but start making a console specific MH game for Switch.  Now that I think about it might not be best match for Nintendo.  I just wanted to see more content pushed out on Switch from top tier IPs.  Who is to say any talent would stay with studio when bought.  It could be a Rare situation where most Rare employees left when Microsoft bought them out then Microsoft was left with some IPs but no talent to produce those IPs. 

I suppose the best way is for Nintendo to just establish more studios themselves.  They have a ton of neglected IPs that they could have the new studios work on till they get their feet wet.  Put them on a new F-Zero, Excitebike or truck, 1080, Wave Race, Advance Wars, Earthbound, etc with a few vets overlooking the projects.  That way they can have more AA games to fill in dates while waiting their big AAA releases.

Anything above 0 was already too much for EA, Konami and Activision Blizzard, they don't deserve making profit for their shenanigans.

src said:
Nice spin.

If you deemed profit as the utmost of importance then you'd foolishly think companies like Tesla, Amazon, Netflix, Uber were small players.

Any worthwhile analyst knows revenue is what highlights marketshare best.

let's include Coca-Cola and oil majors there.

Around the Network

Very nice. Now let's hope that these profits go back into making great improvements to their Hardware, Software, and Services. Same for Sony.

Be looking forward to improvements from both companies across the board.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Anything above 0 was already too much for EA, Konami and Activision Blizzard, they don't deserve making profit for their shenanigans.

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, Fifa 20 (Not Switch Version), Madden 20, Sea of solitude and COD MW 2019 are good games, have you played them??

Crazy to think about.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

COKTOE said:
cycycychris said:
It's quite shocking to see that Ubisoft is apparently losing money. I think they had to delay a ton of games if I remember right, so that is likely to blame.

Nintendo has always had a great eye for making profits, they've learned from there mistakes from the wii u era.

I barely touch Ubisoft games any more.  Played one last gen, and two this gen, having started Far Cry 4 a few weeks ago. I was basically loving it, but also living in dread at the prospect of having my entire campaign fall apart. The amount of main campaign mission bugs. Uhg. I've had to re-do several main and side missions because I couldn't progress, ie: pick up the bobble, get in the truck, anyway, not really what I'm driving at.

The game harasses the player to sign up for Uplay every time the game is booted. I pick "skip", because I don't want to give the ghouls at Ubisoft access to all my online information so that they can sell said information to their cockroach friends, in exchange for Elephant War Paint, and a couple of stupid guns. Moving on...

A few days ago, I decided to buy a Far Cry pack, on sale on PSN. Far Cry 5, Far Cry New Dawn, and Far Cry 3 remaster + all the DLC for these games. But. I also decided to wait as long as possible to do so, to give Ubisoft an opportunity to fail. Which they did.

After finishing the campaign last night, I wanted to go online. Yeah. Now the option to skip Uplay sign up, is not there. I mean, they literally still present it as an option, but to go online, you have to create a Uplay account. Unbelievable. I can't stand it when companies hold back content I've already purchased behind some fake-ass barrier. So, these greedy shaved apes have taken the goodwill generated by a piece of software I mostly, really enjoyed, and flushed an immediate purchase of 3 games, and all future purchases, down the toilet. Forever. Except South Park. 🤕

So when I see Ubisoft in the red, it doesn't surprise me. But really, this was an excuse to rant.

This. I deleted For Honor after I was forced to create a Uplay account. As far as I am concerned, they are currently as bad as EA and Acti. I really hope they go under next-gen, or that they get their shit together ASAP, as their live-service crap is unacceptable.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

A console tends to be at its most profitable during its latter years when it has a large install base.  You can look at the chart below and see this with PS4.  (Most recent fiscal year is not listed, but it is about the same as 2019.)  Switch is younger than PS4 so it still has a couple of years until it reaches it's most profitable time.  So even though Nintendo > Sony in profits right now, that gap is going to keep widening.  Basically we ain't seen nothing yet when it comes to Nintendo's profit from the Switch.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 25 May 2020