By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - In the last full FY of 19/20 Nintendo generates more operating profit than Sony(G&NS), Capcom, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Konami, and Sega Sammy combined.

src said:
Nice spin.

If you deemed profit as the utmost of importance then you'd foolishly think companies like Tesla, Amazon, Netflix, Uber were small players.

Any worthwhile analyst knows revenue is what highlights market share best.

Bold: Those companies make games too? WOW.

Second bold: Let's say, A spend 3 billion; gain back 3,5 billion. And B spend 1 billion; gain back 2,5 billion. Who is better here?

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 25 May 2020

Around the Network
src said:
Nice spin.

If you deemed profit as the utmost of importance then you'd foolishly think companies like Tesla, Amazon, Netflix, Uber were small players.

Any worthwhile analyst knows revenue is what highlights marketshare best.

Nice spin but Operating Profit > Revenue and Nintendo last fiscal year profit alone is bigger than the entire operating profit of PlayStation division during PS1+PS2+PS3+PSP lifetime. 

Nintendo FY 19/20 operating profit > Sony gaming division from FY 94+95+96+97+98+99+00+01+02+03+04+05+06+07+08+09+10+11

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Anything above 0 was already too much for EA, Konami and Activision Blizzard, they don't deserve making profit for their shenanigans.

I don't know anything about EA and Activision,

but how much do you know about Konami?

kazuyamishima said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Anything above 0 was already too much for EA, Konami and Activision Blizzard, they don't deserve making profit for their shenanigans.

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, Fifa 20 (Not Switch Version), Madden 20, Sea of solitude and COD MW 2019 are good games, have you played them??

I guess the problem is more on the company than some of the games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The_Liquid_Laser said:

A console tends to be at its most profitable during its latter years when it has a large install base.  You can look at the chart below and see this with PS4.  (Most recent fiscal year is not listed, but it is about the same as 2019.)  Switch is younger than PS4 so it still has a couple of years until it reaches it's most profitable time.  So even though Nintendo > Sony in profits right now, that gap is going to keep widening.  Basically we ain't seen nothing yet when it comes to Nintendo's profit from the Switch.

The latter years are usually not that profitable. For the PS3 , you can see that from 2012 and 2013 the PS3 was hindered by PS4 R&D. Then in 2014 and on the PS3 wasn't all that profitable, to offset the PS4. Meanwhile the PS4 profits in 2019/ 2020 have been hindered by PS5 R&D and the latter years will look even worse.

The Wii U's latter years were straight losses to Nintendo due to them focusing on the Switch.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

A console tends to be at its most profitable during its latter years when it has a large install base.  You can look at the chart below and see this with PS4.  (Most recent fiscal year is not listed, but it is about the same as 2019.)  Switch is younger than PS4 so it still has a couple of years until it reaches it's most profitable time.  So even though Nintendo > Sony in profits right now, that gap is going to keep widening.  Basically we ain't seen nothing yet when it comes to Nintendo's profit from the Switch.

The latter years are usually not that profitable. For the PS3 , you can see that from 2012 and 2013 the PS3 was hindered by PS4 R&D. Then in 2014 and on the PS3 wasn't all that profitable, to offset the PS4. Meanwhile the PS4 profits in 2019/ 2020 have been hindered by PS5 R&D and the latter years will look even worse.

The Wii U's latter years were straight losses to Nintendo due to them focusing on the Switch.

Depends on if you are talking about a profitable console or an unprofitable one.  PS3 lost Sony a ton of money overall.  But even then the later years they lost less money compared to their early years.  Wii U is a similar story.  Nintendo lost a bit in the early years and made a bit after.

Now look at a highly successful console, like the PS4 or Switch, then the latter years are the most profitable.  A high install base translates into more software sold and more subscriptions.

Nintendo is doomed!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

kazuyamishima said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, Fifa 20 (Not Switch Version), Madden 20, Sea of solitude and COD MW 2019 are good games, have you played them??

Yeah, that may be... though you'd had to look long under all those microtransactions and monetisation schemes to find the damn game in the supposed game, and that's a no-go to me, no matter how good the game is. And these (plus Take Two, forgot to mention them) push those more and more and more.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 25 May 2020

Bofferbrauer2 said:
kazuyamishima said:

Yeah, that may be... though you'd had to look long under all those microtransactions and monetisation schemes to find the damn game in the supposed game, and that's a no-go to me, no matter how good the game is. And these (plus Take Two, forgot to mention them) push those more and more and more.

Yep several games have put so much extra grind to force MTX that it becomes a bad product to anyone that values their money.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

PAOerfulone said:

Nintendo is doomed!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Sometimes I wish they were: I want their games on PC.