By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do We Really Want a New Cold War?

There was an interesting article on Quillette with the above headline, so I wanted to share it:

https://quillette.com/2020/05/24/do-we-really-want-a-new-cold-war/

Some hightlights in my opinion:

It assumes that great powers must compete economically and militarily, and that one power can only rise by knocking down another. But for most of world history, powers great and small have cooperated to their mutual advantage more often than they have rushed into conflict. Just because powers are great doesn’t mean they have to fight each other. When powers decline the most important causes are usually internal, not external.

That is very true. Big powers can cooperate for mutual benefit.

The Chinese government is not trying to export communist ideology the way the Soviets did; it is more interested in exporting semiconductors.

To the point. What do people expect China does? They are a power based on trade, not ideology. So the biggest threat they offer is flooding us with products.

When educated people are familiar with another country’s language and culture they are less likely to demonize it.

Something I think is very much true. An interesting point that people pointed out, is that many chinese people learn english and other western languages, understand western media and science and are willing to learn. But the other way around is very unusual.

Let’s stop accusing our political opponents of being “soft on China.” Let’s be rational on China.

I think it is a general good rule to be rational on any political topic. All the 'we need to show strength' rhethoric shows restricted thinking and therefore a good chance to find only suboptimal solutions to a problem.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 24 May 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

China, unlike Russia, engages in soft power. It uses the means of subversion and slow coercion to slowly extend its influence and strengthen its position. It doesn't invade countries or sends mercs/pmc's like Russia does (though they do have their online paid troll farms), China does it more in an economic sense.

However, it is no different than what Russia does. It is trying to expand at the expense of others. It is extremely nationalistic and authoritarian/dictatorial. It must be checked like any other aggressive country.

No

OTBWY said:
However, it is no different than what Russia does. It is trying to expand at the expense of others. It is extremely nationalistic and authoritarian/dictatorial. It must be checked like any other aggressive country.

Well, you can argue that the US is extremely nationalistic and aggressive in it's global politics and should be checked.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:
OTBWY said:

Well, you can argue that the US is extremely nationalistic and aggressive in it's global politics and should be checked.

I'm gonna be very clear here, before this goes into whataboutisms. But if I had to choose between the three powers (China, Russia, the US) I would always without a doubt choose the US. My reasons, China has actual concentrations camps as we speak. In 2020. And Russia has a government that endorses this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0WHTlLwJIk

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
"The Chinese government is not trying to export communist ideology"

No shit. They don't even follow communist ideology so of course they're not trying to export it

But they could try to export it exactly because they don't need it anymore!   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Did the cold war actually ever end?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

What is this war about?

China sees us as a resource to sell products to.
We use China as a resource of cheap manufacturing.

If you don't want your money to go to China, then stop buying things made in China!

OTBWY said:
Mnementh said:

I'm gonna be very clear here, before this goes into whataboutisms. But if I had to choose between the three powers (China, Russia, the US) I would always without a doubt choose the US. My reasons, China has actual concentrations camps as we speak. In 2020. And Russia has a government that endorses this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0WHTlLwJIk

1. What has the video to do with your claims?

2. What do you think is Guantamo Bay?

3. I never claimed China or Russia are better than the US. But that is exactly the point of the article. You say: 'if I had to choose between the three powers', but the article claims (and I agree) that you shouldn't choose, but cooperate. Because that is masively better than another cold war.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 24 May 2020

To be clear: it is not about what could be done or not done in China to make it a better country. It is about how to make a better world and the two concepts: cooperation or conflict. The article claims and I agree, that cooperation is better.

Or to tell it differently: that the western countries could get rid of fascism and improve the life of their citizen is not because the US got the atomic bomb, but because of the marshall plan.