By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do We Really Want a New Cold War?

We are already in a cold war. Though I wouldn't call it that because it's a way too cool name for what is essentially just a bunch of countries being pussies.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
I've recently went from despising war and vehemently against it to being for a western vs eastern war, I can't see any other way to deal with China and continue our way of life. It's inevitable anyway, might as well het it out of the way now and have an economical boom after. China needs to go down... I mean, China numba wan!

People who want or demand a war should be the first in line fighting in one.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

John2290 said:
Peh said:

People who want or demand a war should be the first in line fighting in one.

I'd sign up for that fight. It's something worth dying for.

You won't benefit from it if you are dead. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

It's not another cold war.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/us-china-relations-are-certainly-at-a-low-point-but-this-is-not-the-next-cold-war-117509

This article does a good job explaining it, but to sum it up this isn't nearly the same as the cold war where both US and Russia were threatening to take each other down for a global order. Hell there really isn't a winning scenario between sides when it comes to China and US. Its really just a lot of posturing to make conditions favorable for the other, it isn't nearly the fight for global dominance that US and USSR was. And despite rising tensions the two are incredibly reliant on one another as this pandemic has exploited and it would take years to decouple.

Ka-pi96 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Did the cold war actually ever end?

Considering the USSR ceased to exist... yes.

You can't have a "war" with a country that doesn't exist

But we have Russia and China now, the former is doing everything it can to weaken USA and EU and become again almost as powerful as USSR, for what regards military power, as even at its strongest USSR never had a chance to become the most powerful economy, while China is fighting a peaceful war to become the most powerful economy in the world. And both USA and EU gave it the weapons to fight, they thought to make it both a new market and a provider of cheap labour, but they were very shortsighted and China outsmarted both.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Peh said:
John2290 said:

I'd sign up for that fight. It's something worth dying for.

You won't benefit from it if you are dead. 

I was in an elite unit during military service, but I'm actually quite peaceful, and I always thought that in case of war a country morally acceptable shouldn't send to the first line war enthusiasts that so easily accept to be used by those that earn a shitload of money from wars, but the biggest shareholders of those companies and their closest relatives. I'm neither against capitalism, nor against weapons a priori, I'm not so naïf to think any peaceful country or citizen can always keep peace without weapons to deter thugs, but I think that a capitalist must always be the one that risks the most from his/her business both if it doesn't go well or if it creates a danger.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Mnementh said:
OTBWY said:

I'm gonna be very clear here, before this goes into whataboutisms. But if I had to choose between the three powers (China, Russia, the US) I would always without a doubt choose the US. My reasons, China has actual concentrations camps as we speak. In 2020. And Russia has a government that endorses this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0WHTlLwJIk

1. What has the video to do with your claims?

2. What do you think is Guantamo Bay?

3. I never claimed China or Russia are better than the US. But that is exactly the point of the article. You say: 'if I had to choose between the three powers', but the article claims (and I agree) that you shouldn't choose, but cooperate. Because that is masively better than another cold war.

1. That it is a country that uses fear like "everyone will become gay if you dont elect me". And of course, Jails and kills journalists and dissidents on a whim. 

2. At least the US is a country that has people who are against such bases and things that go on there, or have the freedom to protest it without being harmed. Don't have that much in the other two.

3. I'd rather not cooperate with dictatorships. You can make the mistake of empowering them even more.

The US wouldn't win a war against China anyway, not without great cost. They couldn't even beat the Taliban in Afghanistan after 15+ years, they've withdrawn and the Taliban are back running large parts of the country and having been doing that even before the US left.

They couldn't get Saddam the first time and couldn't win cleanly in Vietnam either. China is a whole other ball park of trouble.

I don't know about a "Cold War", but I think China has badly damaged their standing with the Western world, not just this COVID19 situation but other issues were already bubbling to the surface. I dunno about "Cold War" ... maybe "Lukewarm posturing", lol. 

Soundwave said:

The US wouldn't win a war against China anyway, not without great cost. They couldn't even beat the Taliban in Afghanistan after 15+ years, they've withdrawn and the Taliban are back running large parts of the country and having been doing that even before the US left.

They couldn't get Saddam the first time and couldn't win cleanly in Vietnam either. China is a whole other ball park of trouble.

I don't know about a "Cold War", but I think China has badly damaged their standing with the Western world, not just this COVID19 situation but other issues were already bubbling to the surface. I dunno about "Cold War" ... maybe "Lukewarm posturing", lol. 

Those "wars" were won by the US militarily. Occupation is a different matter.

It looks really bad when the USA is one simple election away from incarcerating Sabrina Meng Wanzhou.  I looks like the rule of law can now change with an election, and I was taught that that isn't supposed to be true.  I don't think the bedrock of democracy should be the idea that we can fall back to ethno-centrism at any time if we start losing too much.  Elections are supposed to be win / win.