Which was better?

DS 62 65.96%
 
PSP 32 34.04%
 
Total:94

While I am a Playstation Fanboy, I always also buy the Nintendo consoles for a few select games. I can comfortably say that the Nintendo DS has an astonishing library, enough to edge the PSP for me. We really undervalued how amazing the library offering for DS and PSP were -> just not the same for me in the 3DS + VITA era. Get both is my conclusion, but DS edges for me.



PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

Me Getting the Big Boss Emblem!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8blJhM6PZ4

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Flilix said:
Nintendo DS without a doubt, it has some of my favourite games of all time.

I got a PSP for free from the supermarket, but I couldn't find any games for it that interested me.

The fuck kind of supermarket is giving away PSPs?  My supermarket doesn't even have free samples.

They had a marble collecting thing going on back then, for any x amount of stuff you bought you got free marbles with prints from Nickelodeon shows. They also put in a few hundred golden marbles, and if you got one you could turn it in for a PSP. And I happened to be one of the lucky few. I was kind of upset when I had to give back the marble though, I would rather have kept it instead of the PSP.

In hindsight, we should've just sold the PSP immediately, because now it's old and used (well, barely used, but still used).



I think the biggest drawback for the original DS was that it did 3D gaming but it didn't do it nearly as well as the PSP. Lots of games, while still good, were 2D or 2.5D. I constantly found myself looking for a graphical showcase and too often found myself with underwhelming games like GoldenEye. Its strengths were creative game design and accessibility.

I championed the DS for years and I guess it deserved to beat the PSP in sales. I'm glad it did, actually. I hated Sony's arrogance. But when I got that PSP, my whole world changed.



mZuzek loves Starfox Adventures

I no longer have the source on this as the website no longer exists. So don't quote me on it.  I seem to recall something about DS 3D ability as a late change hearing those 2003/4 reports of what PSP was promising. Not that dissimilar of a response SEGA had with Saturn to PS1. There was a photo of either a very early dev kit or prototype of 2 GBA screens on a circuit board with a SNES controller attached like a Frankenstein machine. That photo is burned into my memory but been maybe 15 years since I saw it. I know a lot of early DS 3rd party games were GBA like. Maybe DS was just going to be a dual-screen GBA. Don't take this as me spouting this as gospel. I have no evidence just memory of something about it on a long-dead website.

On the flip side what I do find funny is in a sense DS was revenge for N64. PSP went disc and that hurt them a lot. DS went cart and that benefited them a lot. UMD was an absolute failure of a format.

Last edited by Leynos - on 23 May 2020

Bite my shiny metal Cockpit!

DS the library alone just way outmatched PSP.



Around the Network
Conina said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Disagree with that. DS also have Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest IV V VI IX, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, Metroid Prime Hunter, Moon, Ninja Gaiden, Dementium,  Theresia Dear Emile, Nanashi no Game, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. These games are anything but kiddy. 

Oh, there was a Buffy game for DS? Was it any good?

I enjoyed the Buffy game on the original Xbox a lot back then (the first one, not "Chaos Bleeds")

Not bad, good enough for my taste.

m0ney said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Disagree with that. DS also have Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest IV V VI IX, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, Metroid Prime Hunter, Moon, Ninja Gaiden, Dementium,  Theresia Dear Emile, Nanashi no Game, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. These games are anything but kiddy. 

But overall they do have kiddy presentation.

DS strongest point isn't 1st party games, but 3rd party games, and there are many types of games for children/adult/women. Saying it is just a kiddy platform is completely clueless, a "kiddy" system won't have any mature game, DS has a lot mature games from 3rd parties.

Vodacixi said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Disagree with that. DS also have Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest IV V VI IX, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, Metroid Prime Hunter, Moon, Ninja Gaiden, Dementium,  Theresia Dear Emile, Nanashi no Game, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. These games are anything but kiddy. 

I would add Hotel Dusk, Last Window, Another Code, 999, GTA Chinatown Wars (originally a NDS exclusive BTW), Civilization Revolution and Radian Historia to the list.

I'm not saying that the NDS catalogue was heavily targeting a mature audience because that would be flat out lying. But if someone says that the console lacked that type of games, they are just speaking from ignorance.

I only mentioned enough games to counter back those psp games. I know ds has a lot more than that.

Bold: Agree.



Leynos said:

I no longer have the source on this as the website no longer exists. So don't quote me on it.  I seem to recall something about DS 3D ability as a late change hearing those 2003/4 reports of what PSP was promising. Not that dissimilar of a response SEGA had with Saturn to PS1. There was a photo of either a very early dev kit or prototype of 2 GBA screens on a circuit board with a SNES controller attached like a Frankenstein machine. That photo is burned into my memory but been maybe 15 years since I saw it. I know a lot of early DS 3rd party games were GBA like. Maybe DS was just going to be a dual-screen GBA. Don't take this as me spouting this as gospel. I have no evidence just memory of something about it on a long-dead website.

On the flip side what I do find funny is in a sense DS was revenge for N64. PSP went disc and that hurt them a lot. DS went cart and that benefited them a lot. UMD was an absolute failure of a format.

*Quotes you on this*

Hey, I know what it's like to have images and quotes burned into your memory that nobody else seems to remember. I believe you.



mZuzek loves Starfox Adventures

PSP was groundbreaking for it's time but the DS was the better system for me. Simply had a more diverse, more interesting library of games. Not to mention it was cheaper, had batter battery life, faster loading times (just more practical in every way tbh) and it was fully backwards compatible with the GBA library!

PSP is better now in some ways as it's a great emulation machine but when the 2 systems were relevant during their life spans I have to hand it to the DS.



Got it both handhelds during the 7th gen days in the late 2006, i focused on DS so much overtime because there were variety games, big thanks to the Capcom, Konami, SEGA and Square-Enix for making DS platform extremely well done, and let's not forget about Nintendo... they really made very good first party games on the DS.



Battletag: Quakecore89#1866 / GOG: AMDFX89 / PSN: QuakeCore_89 / Xbox Live Tag: QuakeCore89 / NS: SW-7937-5976-6855

Current PCs: -PC 2017(Ryzen 7 3700X/32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM/GeForce RTX 2060 6GB/Crucial 250GB M.2(Boot) Kingston 1TB SSD(Storage))

d21lewis said:
I think the biggest drawback for the original DS was that it did 3D gaming but it didn't do it nearly as well as the PSP. Lots of games, while still good, were 2D or 2.5D. I constantly found myself looking for a graphical showcase and too often found myself with underwhelming games like GoldenEye. Its strengths were creative game design and accessibility.

I championed the DS for years and I guess it deserved to beat the PSP in sales. I'm glad it did, actually. I hated Sony's arrogance. But when I got that PSP, my whole world changed.

Off the top of my head, Dementium II and Metroid Prime Hunters were pretty good showcases of DS's graphical capabilities.