By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which was better?

DS 62 65.96%

PSP 32 34.04%

Total:94

What was so great about the 7th gen was that the competitors (sans PS3 vs 360) were so different from each other; DS and PSP were almost nothing alike, nor was the Wii vs the HD Twins.

I'm not a portable player and had neither, so I'm not sure which I'd pick; DS has Nintendo games, but PSP looks more to my taste design wise and has Monster Hunter.

Around the Network
Flilix said:
Nintendo DS without a doubt, it has some of my favourite games of all time.

I got a PSP for free from the supermarket, but I couldn't find any games for it that interested me.

The fuck kind of supermarket is giving away PSPs?  My supermarket doesn't even have free samples.

My supermarket is giving out free Covid19 for all!

Last edited by Leynos - on 23 May 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

The DS had a much stronger overall library, including a metric ton of Dragon Quest, Pokemon, and countless others, so that's what I'm going with. The downside to the DS was that I didn't like how touch controls were made a focal point of the two Zelda games. They're still good games, but I'd have killed for conventional controls. The ability to draw a path for the boomerang was pretty fun though. I also played a lot of Mario Kart DS, and Infinite Space, Platinum's second game, was a rare gem.

The PSP was pretty good, too. My wife got me mine after my DS got stolen. Had a solid library of RPGs like Crisis Core, Valkyria Chronicles 2, and especially FF Tactics: War of the Lions was probably my favorite PSP game overall. The clearer translation and redone cut scenes made a world of difference though the load times were a little rough.

Leynos said:

My supermarket is giving out free Covid19 for all!

That was genuinely funny.

Around the Network

I got my PSP Street new in 2012 and had great times with it - Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Jeanne d'Arc, Persona 3, Splinter Cell, God of War, SSX, Archibald's Adventures, Shadow of Destiny and moar. Playing Full Throttle through SCUMM on PSP was an awesome experience. Using it as a media player was great too until I got a smartphone. Can't say anything about DS, Nintendo has too kiddy presentation for my taste.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Leynos said:

I got my PSP when it was still relevant and I got a 4GB memory card for $8. Hardly costly at all.

I have about 18 PSP games. Needed a 32GB card to fit all the PS3 Style game installs onto it. That card cost me $30 in 2019. I know a 4GB card would barely hold a few game installs, and not installing the game would make it run slower and/or take up battery life. I forget. 

I went full digital and had tons of games. Only a few physical discs actually let you install at all--not that it mattered to me. The games that did allow you to install only allowed partial info to make them load faster.

Can't remember how much they cost back then but I never thought it was too expensive. I'll break my system out later today and see what the sizes were. I feel like it was rare for a game to exceed 1 GB and most were like 300MB. I also think battery life was about 3 hours no matter what. But again, going from memory.

Xxain said:

I actually grew bored of the DS. Like 90% of DS games (nearly 100% in regards to JRPG's) were harkening back to the 90's. Its not special when EVERYBODY IS DOING THE SAME THING!!. Generic JRPG after Generic JRPG. The Winds of Nostalgia was the final straw for me. PSP had a smaller library but I find that it has more hidden gems.

EDIT - I swear all DS games had the same presentation for 2D and 3D games.

Avalon Code, Solatorobo, Blood of Bahamut, The World End With You, Rune Factory, Sigma Harmonic, Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans are very different, more unique than other jrpgs on ds

gergroy said:
PSP was the better hardware by far. I still say the dual screens is a stupid design, just do one screen! Everybody only ever looked at the top screen unless there was some dumb gimmick that made you try and hold a stylus and push buttons at the same time... however, the DS was by far the better supported system with games so it wins, even though it is a stupid design...

Etrian Odyssey? The World End With You DS have the best gameplay compared to other versions.

d21lewis said:

I went full digital and had tons of games.

I went full digital too for the price if a memory stick duo adapter from china, na mean.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.