By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which was better?

DS 62 65.96%

PSP 32 34.04%

Total:94
OdinHades said:

PSP because CFW. You could emulate anything up to the PS1 on that little sucker and even some N64 games which was a friggin' miracle back then. The PSP also had some great exclusives. It was a well-worthy successor to the GBA to all the folks Like me who nevera really got warm with gimmicks like two screens and a touchscreen.

I don't want to say the DS was bad. But for me personally, the PSP was way better. It was this little system that introduced me, a formar diehard Ninty Fanboy, into the world of PlayStation.

It's a pity Sony doesn't do Handhelds anymore. But on the other hand, the switch is a superb system, so I'm good.

Perhaps, but DS can run any gba games, even the 3D ones.

Around the Network
m0ney said:

I got my PSP Street new in 2012 and had great times with it - Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Jeanne d'Arc, Persona 3, Splinter Cell, God of War, SSX, Archibald's Adventures, Shadow of Destiny and moar. Playing Full Throttle through SCUMM on PSP was an awesome experience. Using it as a media player was great too until I got a smartphone. Can't say anything about DS, Nintendo has too kiddy presentation for my taste.

Disagree with that. DS also have Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest IV V VI IX, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, Metroid Prime Hunter, Moon, Ninja Gaiden, Dementium,  Theresia Dear Emile, Nanashi no Game, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. These games are anything but kiddy. 

HoangNhatAnh said:

Disagree with that. DS also have Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest IV V VI IX, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, Metroid Prime Hunter, Moon, Ninja Gaiden, Dementium,  Theresia Dear Emile, Nanashi no Game, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. These games are anything but kiddy. 

Oh, there was a Buffy game for DS? Was it any good?

I enjoyed the Buffy game on the original Xbox a lot back then (the first one, not "Chaos Bleeds")

HoangNhatAnh said:

But overall they do have kiddy presentation.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

HoangNhatAnh said:
m0ney said:

I got my PSP Street new in 2012 and had great times with it - Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Jeanne d'Arc, Persona 3, Splinter Cell, God of War, SSX, Archibald's Adventures, Shadow of Destiny and moar. Playing Full Throttle through SCUMM on PSP was an awesome experience. Using it as a media player was great too until I got a smartphone. Can't say anything about DS, Nintendo has too kiddy presentation for my taste.

I would add Hotel Dusk, Last Window, Another Code, 999, GTA Chinatown Wars (originally a NDS exclusive BTW), Civilization Revolution and Radian Historia to the list.

I'm not saying that the NDS catalogue was heavily targeting a mature audience because that would be flat out lying. But if someone says that the console lacked that type of games, they are just speaking from ignorance.

Around the Network

While I am a Playstation Fanboy, I always also buy the Nintendo consoles for a few select games. I can comfortably say that the Nintendo DS has an astonishing library, enough to edge the PSP for me. We really undervalued how amazing the library offering for DS and PSP were -> just not the same for me in the 3DS + VITA era. Get both is my conclusion, but DS edges for me.

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

JWeinCom said:
Flilix said:
Nintendo DS without a doubt, it has some of my favourite games of all time.

I got a PSP for free from the supermarket, but I couldn't find any games for it that interested me.

The fuck kind of supermarket is giving away PSPs?  My supermarket doesn't even have free samples.

They had a marble collecting thing going on back then, for any x amount of stuff you bought you got free marbles with prints from Nickelodeon shows. They also put in a few hundred golden marbles, and if you got one you could turn it in for a PSP. And I happened to be one of the lucky few. I was kind of upset when I had to give back the marble though, I would rather have kept it instead of the PSP.

In hindsight, we should've just sold the PSP immediately, because now it's old and used (well, barely used, but still used).

I think the biggest drawback for the original DS was that it did 3D gaming but it didn't do it nearly as well as the PSP. Lots of games, while still good, were 2D or 2.5D. I constantly found myself looking for a graphical showcase and too often found myself with underwhelming games like GoldenEye. Its strengths were creative game design and accessibility.

I championed the DS for years and I guess it deserved to beat the PSP in sales. I'm glad it did, actually. I hated Sony's arrogance. But when I got that PSP, my whole world changed.

I no longer have the source on this as the website no longer exists. So don't quote me on it.  I seem to recall something about DS 3D ability as a late change hearing those 2003/4 reports of what PSP was promising. Not that dissimilar of a response SEGA had with Saturn to PS1. There was a photo of either a very early dev kit or prototype of 2 GBA screens on a circuit board with a SNES controller attached like a Frankenstein machine. That photo is burned into my memory but been maybe 15 years since I saw it. I know a lot of early DS 3rd party games were GBA like. Maybe DS was just going to be a dual-screen GBA. Don't take this as me spouting this as gospel. I have no evidence just memory of something about it on a long-dead website.

On the flip side what I do find funny is in a sense DS was revenge for N64. PSP went disc and that hurt them a lot. DS went cart and that benefited them a lot. UMD was an absolute failure of a format.

Last edited by Leynos - on 23 May 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

DS the library alone just way outmatched PSP.