Which was better?

DS 62 65.96%
 
PSP 32 34.04%
 
Total:94

I got my PSP Street new in 2012 and had great times with it - Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Jeanne d'Arc, Persona 3, Splinter Cell, God of War, SSX, Archibald's Adventures, Shadow of Destiny and moar. Playing Full Throttle through SCUMM on PSP was an awesome experience. Using it as a media player was great too until I got a smartphone. Can't say anything about DS, Nintendo has too kiddy presentation for my taste.



Visit my eBay stampers store: eims-stampers

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Leynos said:

I got my PSP when it was still relevant and I got a 4GB memory card for $8. Hardly costly at all.

I have about 18 PSP games. Needed a 32GB card to fit all the PS3 Style game installs onto it. That card cost me $30 in 2019. I know a 4GB card would barely hold a few game installs, and not installing the game would make it run slower and/or take up battery life. I forget. 

I went full digital and had tons of games. Only a few physical discs actually let you install at all--not that it mattered to me. The games that did allow you to install only allowed partial info to make them load faster.

Can't remember how much they cost back then but I never thought it was too expensive. I'll break my system out later today and see what the sizes were. I feel like it was rare for a game to exceed 1 GB and most were like 300MB. I also think battery life was about 3 hours no matter what. But again, going from memory.



mZuzek loves Starfox Adventures

Xxain said:

I actually grew bored of the DS. Like 90% of DS games (nearly 100% in regards to JRPG's) were harkening back to the 90's. Its not special when EVERYBODY IS DOING THE SAME THING!!. Generic JRPG after Generic JRPG. The Winds of Nostalgia was the final straw for me. PSP had a smaller library but I find that it has more hidden gems.

EDIT - I swear all DS games had the same presentation for 2D and 3D games.

Avalon Code, Solatorobo, Blood of Bahamut, The World End With You, Rune Factory, Sigma Harmonic, Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans are very different, more unique than other jrpgs on ds



gergroy said:
PSP was the better hardware by far. I still say the dual screens is a stupid design, just do one screen! Everybody only ever looked at the top screen unless there was some dumb gimmick that made you try and hold a stylus and push buttons at the same time... however, the DS was by far the better supported system with games so it wins, even though it is a stupid design...

Etrian Odyssey? The World End With You DS have the best gameplay compared to other versions.



d21lewis said:

I went full digital and had tons of games.

I went full digital too for the price if a memory stick duo adapter from china, na mean.



Visit my eBay stampers store: eims-stampers

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network
OdinHades said:

PSP because CFW. You could emulate anything up to the PS1 on that little sucker and even some N64 games which was a friggin' miracle back then. The PSP also had some great exclusives. It was a well-worthy successor to the GBA to all the folks Like me who nevera really got warm with gimmicks like two screens and a touchscreen.

I don't want to say the DS was bad. But for me personally, the PSP was way better. It was this little system that introduced me, a formar diehard Ninty Fanboy, into the world of PlayStation.

It's a pity Sony doesn't do Handhelds anymore. But on the other hand, the switch is a superb system, so I'm good.

Perhaps, but DS can run any gba games, even the 3D ones.



m0ney said:

I got my PSP Street new in 2012 and had great times with it - Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Jeanne d'Arc, Persona 3, Splinter Cell, God of War, SSX, Archibald's Adventures, Shadow of Destiny and moar. Playing Full Throttle through SCUMM on PSP was an awesome experience. Using it as a media player was great too until I got a smartphone. Can't say anything about DS, Nintendo has too kiddy presentation for my taste.

Disagree with that. DS also have Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest IV V VI IX, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, Metroid Prime Hunter, Moon, Ninja Gaiden, Dementium,  Theresia Dear Emile, Nanashi no Game, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. These games are anything but kiddy. 



HoangNhatAnh said:

Disagree with that. DS also have Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest IV V VI IX, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, Metroid Prime Hunter, Moon, Ninja Gaiden, Dementium,  Theresia Dear Emile, Nanashi no Game, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. These games are anything but kiddy. 

Oh, there was a Buffy game for DS? Was it any good?

I enjoyed the Buffy game on the original Xbox a lot back then (the first one, not "Chaos Bleeds")



HoangNhatAnh said:

Disagree with that. DS also have Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest IV V VI IX, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, Metroid Prime Hunter, Moon, Ninja Gaiden, Dementium,  Theresia Dear Emile, Nanashi no Game, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. These games are anything but kiddy. 

But overall they do have kiddy presentation.



Visit my eBay stampers store: eims-stampers

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

HoangNhatAnh said:
m0ney said:

I got my PSP Street new in 2012 and had great times with it - Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Jeanne d'Arc, Persona 3, Splinter Cell, God of War, SSX, Archibald's Adventures, Shadow of Destiny and moar. Playing Full Throttle through SCUMM on PSP was an awesome experience. Using it as a media player was great too until I got a smartphone. Can't say anything about DS, Nintendo has too kiddy presentation for my taste.

Disagree with that. DS also have Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest IV V VI IX, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, Metroid Prime Hunter, Moon, Ninja Gaiden, Dementium,  Theresia Dear Emile, Nanashi no Game, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. These games are anything but kiddy. 

I would add Hotel Dusk, Last Window, Another Code, 999, GTA Chinatown Wars (originally a NDS exclusive BTW), Civilization Revolution and Radian Historia to the list.

I'm not saying that the NDS catalogue was heavily targeting a mature audience because that would be flat out lying. But if someone says that the console lacked that type of games, they are just speaking from ignorance.