By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can we talk about The Wonderful 101 laughable Demaster?

DonFerrari said:
JWeinCom said:
Ultimately it's a port of a great game, that runs well on the PS4 and PC, and acceptably but not as well as it should on the Switch.

It someone wants to make a stand and refuse to buy it based on the fact that it's not as good as it could have been, by all means, vote with your dollars. But, especially for PS4 owners, who want a great action game, I'd have no problem recommending this.

To call it great is a stretch though. At most you liked it a lot.

Yes, this is typically why people call things great. There is no objective fun or enjoyment concerning video games.

Around the Network

I liked W101 but not enough to wanna buy it again, so I was never really interested in it's "remaster". Seeing there being virtually no improvement makes that decision easier. I do wonder why it is they remade this of all games. Clearly wasn't a passion project with the minimal effort, and if they just wanted a quick buck there are surely way safer bets than W101.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
I liked W101 but not enough to wanna buy it again, so I was never really interested in it's "remaster". Seeing there being virtually no improvement makes that decision easier. I do wonder why it is they remade this of all games. Clearly wasn't a passion project with the minimal effort, and if they just wanted a quick buck there are surely way safer bets than W101.

Its a port and I'm actually not sure platinum games has any original IPs outside of this title that haven't already hit one of the current platforms. Most of their releases are licensed. 

I think its both a quick buck but also seeing if there's enough interest to warrant a sequel.

Otter said:
DonFerrari said:

To call it great is a stretch though. At most you liked it a lot.

Yes, this is typically why people call things great. There is no objective fun or enjoyment concerning video games.

Not really, you can differentiate what you like from what is objectively great.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Otter said:

that is a great opinion to have, but you are wrong

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

IMO a fairly large dev asking for Kickstarter money is a bit rich. However if they are asking for money to publish a game that would otherwise not see the light of day that's fair enough. In this case the Kickstarter was so close to the Switch release date that the game had to have been finished. They wanted fans to back it to wear the cost...
Then the fans backed it.......
Then it was delayed....
Then they were given Steam codes.....
Then people realized you can't play this game on PC due to the mechanics....
Then reviewers got the Switch code (before the backers)...
And it ran like a turd on Switch vs WiiU.....
And the backers still don't have it....

Forshame Platinum! Forshame!

tripenfall said:
IMO a fairly large dev asking for Kickstarter money is a bit rich. However if they are asking for money to publish a game that would otherwise not see the light of day that's fair enough. In this case the Kickstarter was so close to the Switch release date that the game had to have been finished. They wanted fans to back it to wear the cost...
Then the fans backed it.......
Then it was delayed....
Then they were given Steam codes.....
Then people realized you can't play this game on PC due to the mechanics....
Then reviewers got the Switch code (before the backers)...
And it ran like a turd on Switch vs WiiU.....
And the backers still don't have it....

Forshame Platinum! Forshame!

Yeah the whole thing has been a trainwreck. I love Platinum but they dropped the ball hard here.

They should at least have paid for the port themselves and optimized it properly. I feel like it's become a matter of Kamiya being obsessed with trying to shove his passion project done people's throats regardless of it not being financially successful.

DonFerrari said:
Otter said:

What are you saying here, lol? There is no objective perspective. What is great to some is terrible to others. I think Ocarina of Time is overrated and that Skyward Sword is one of the best games ever. Forgot objective, I think the way I want baby!

#libertariangamer

Dulfite said:
DonFerrari said:

What are you saying here, lol? There is no objective perspective. What is great to some is terrible to others. I think Ocarina of Time is overrated and that Skyward Sword is one of the best games ever. Forgot objective, I think the way I want baby!

#libertariangamer

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but it is very much a thing. I enjoyed FFXIII but still acknowledge the game is not very good apart from it's presentation. Conversely, I didn't like Mario Galaxy but wont deny it's quality.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Dulfite said:

#libertariangamer

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but it is very much a thing. I enjoyed FFXIII but still acknowledge the game is not very good apart from it's presentation. Conversely, I didn't like Mario Galaxy but wont deny it's quality.

You forgot to mention that anyone can claim XIII is great and Galaxy not so much. You're confusing your ability to distinguish your preference for things despite their apparent quality you perceive on them with the real quality of those things, which is not set on stone and is taken differently by each person. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.