By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can we talk about The Wonderful 101 laughable Demaster?

RolStoppable said:
KLXVER said:

Nintendo were willing to pay for the Switch port I believe, but it would have to be an exclusive.

If that had been the case, then we would have seen a Switch-exclusive port of the game. I am sure that Nintendo didn't want to finance such a port.

What I am not sure about are the legal rights to the IP. In none of their interviews did Platinum give an outright clear answer if IP ownership had changed for The Wonderful 101. The current ports should provide such an answer though, because copyrights are usually displayed in some spots of the game, be it the title screen or the credits.

We always hear how easy it is to port to Switch and that it is easy money to be made, so why wouldn't they care to port this one?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
RolStoppable said:

If that had been the case, then we would have seen a Switch-exclusive port of the game. I am sure that Nintendo didn't want to finance such a port.

What I am not sure about are the legal rights to the IP. In none of their interviews did Platinum give an outright clear answer if IP ownership had changed for The Wonderful 101. The current ports should provide such an answer though, because copyrights are usually displayed in some spots of the game, be it the title screen or the credits.

Well they financed the port of Tokyo Mirage Session, so why not TW101?

Because Platinum had aways planned to make it multi.

Xxain said:
KLXVER said:

Well they financed the port of Tokyo Mirage Session, so why not TW101?

Yeah, that doesn't clear up anything. Was Nintendo willing to finance the port or not?

KLXVER said:
Xxain said:

Yeah, that doesn't clear up anything. Was Nintendo willing to finance the port or not?

You asked why Nintendo financed TMS but not W101. Platinum games approached Nintendo with the idea of a W101 multi plat port from the beginning (Platinum is pursuing a self publishing future) which is why Nintendo did not finance it but did for TMS, which performed much worse than W101. 

Xxain said:
KLXVER said:

You asked why Nintendo financed TMS but not W101. Platinum games approached Nintendo with the idea of a W101 multi plat port from the beginning (Platinum is pursuing a self publishing future) which is why Nintendo did not finance it but did for TMS, which performed much worse than W101. 

Not seen anything from Nintendo or PG to confirm this, but Ill take your word for it.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
RolStoppable said:

We always hear how easy it is to port to Switch and that it is easy money to be made, so why wouldn't they care to port this one?

Because it was a huge flop. That Nintendo wouldn't pay for a cheap and easy port, and even Platinum themselves made the fans foot the bill just shows how much of a failure W101 is commercially. 

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Because it was a huge flop. That Nintendo wouldn't pay for a cheap and easy port, and even Platinum themselves made the fans foot the bill just shows how much of a failure W101 is commercially. 

If Platinum decided to port it and convinced people to pay over 2M when the port was even finished by Rol claim then it doesn't seem like it was such a big failure.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

If Platinum decided to port it and convinced people to pay over 2M when the port was even finished by Rol claim then it doesn't seem like it was such a big failure.

Well, looking at the kickstarter, it has just over 30k backers. If you consider each of them a sale, that's not much, and it likely won't sell a large amount outside that group.

The fact neither Nintendo nor Platinum were willing to fund a port considering how cheap and painless Wii U to Switch porting is says a lot.

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Well, looking at the kickstarter, it has just over 30k backers. If you consider each of them a sale, that's not much, and it likely won't sell a large amount outside that group.

The fact neither Nintendo nor Platinum were willing to fund a port considering how cheap and painless Wii U to Switch porting is says a lot.

Eeerrr if they set the target at 2M to pay the costs and be profitable at 30k sales then it isn't a flop.

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

$2m isn't much when people paid an average of $50 for their copy (there were plenty of special edition offers on the kickstarter in addition to the cheaper standard versions). That's only ~40k copies sold.

The Tokyo Mirage Sessions port sold more copies and brought in more money without making fans pay a premium for various tiers of special editions.

And what does TMS have to do with it? And also a very late port is quite different than a new game.

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Eeerrr if they set the target at 2M to pay the costs and be profitable at 30k sales then it isn't a flop.

RolStoppable said:

$2m isn't much when people paid an average of $50 for their copy (there were plenty of special edition offers on the kickstarter in addition to the cheaper standard versions). That's only ~40k copies sold.

The Tokyo Mirage Sessions port sold more copies and brought in more money without making fans pay a premium for various tiers of special editions.

And what does TMS have to do with it? And also a very late port is quite different than a new game.

When I said "it was a flop" I referred to its original release, and even if the kickstarter recoups the porting costs that doesn't make the overall project not a failure. Collective sales for all versions will likely still be under a million and this isn't some cheap production.