By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Paper Mario: The Origami King announced for Switch!

Wow, this was expected because of all the reports of its existence, but that July release date is the big shocker. This gives a lot of hope that Nintendo may pull out a strong first party lineup this year after all if they held off announcing a big game like this until two months from release.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
xMetroid said:
This looks AMAZING. And now i'm no longer worried for this year. Big game in July annonced randomly on Twitter mid May.
Game looks fresh and full of ideas, you really see the difference with teams having lots of time to work on their projects.

Apparently partners are back btw.

I wouldn't call Paper Mario a big game exactly.  It has Mario in the title.  But, other than that, it's more of a single-A game IMO.  Not that there's anything wrong with it.  But, it's not going to sell 10m copies or anything like that.

That’s debatable honestly. We saw the PM franchise was capable of moving around 4m units on a system with a huge install base like Wii. Nintendo’s first party software sales on switch have been completely on fire and this is likely the biggest game switch has to offer before the fall or maybe even holiday season. Add in if things are still not really back to normal and people are still quarantining, and I can see a well received Origami King pushing like 8m lt. That’s  a pretty big game at that point, many franchises wish they had a seller like that. 

Never played a Paper Mario game, but this looks good! Day one for me.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

You know, as fun as the Direct format is, I kinda like this idea that at any day over the following months Nintendo could randomly drop a major reveal.

Not really excited for this, not my kind of game, will probably pick up a copy when it's cheaper.
Nice to know those who love these titles will be getting something very soon though... Would have been better if Nintendo communicated about this title allot earlier though. :P

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
HyrulianScrolls said:
VAMatt said:

I wouldn't call Paper Mario a big game exactly.  It has Mario in the title.  But, other than that, it's more of a single-A game IMO.  Not that there's anything wrong with it.  But, it's not going to sell 10m copies or anything like that.

That’s debatable honestly. We saw the PM franchise was capable of moving around 4m units on a system with a huge install base like Wii. Nintendo’s first party software sales on switch have been completely on fire and this is likely the biggest game switch has to offer before the fall or maybe even holiday season. Add in if things are still not really back to normal and people are still quarantining, and I can see a well received Origami King pushing like 8m lt. That’s  a pretty big game at that point, many franchises wish they had a seller like that. 

Point taken.  

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

You know, as fun as the Direct format is, I kinda like this idea that at any day over the following months Nintendo could randomly drop a major reveal.

So here's that random Bayonetta 3 trailer we picked up and put on twitter just because we felt like it 😜

That would make my whole fucking year in and of itself, I've been waiting literally years to see Bayonetta 3 in action and would sell both my kidneys for a good gameplay trailer.

Dulfite said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
God, the Nintendo community here is such a breath of fresh air. Color Splash got a 76 on Opencritic (which indicates that it is anywhere from a decent to good game), and yet so many people on here have expressed fears that Origami King will be like Color Splash. It's like Nintendo fans know Color Splash isn't comparable to Nintendo's other games in quality, and own up to it.

Then we have Curl_6's thread that worried about Nintendo not having anything announced.

When Nintendo drops the ball the Nintendo community actually admits it! Not so for certain other fanbases that I won't name. :P

Paper Mario TTYD is the greatest game ever made to me. We know what quality they can deliver so we have higher expectations. CS and SS were still fun, innovative, and gorgeous games, but they weren't great Paper Mario games. The generic character models, different for the sake of being different combat system, lack of partners, simplification of the leveling system, and simplistic storyline prevented them from greatness. What happened to the amazing stories of TTYD and Super Paper Mario?

People shit of SPM when it came out (probably becasue it was a bit different) and apparently they decided for it to mean that people don't like the classic formula anymore and went back to the drawing board.

BTW the director for PM, TTYD, and co director for SPM left after SPM and left paper mario to the other co director(who was the one to suggest SPM dieviate from TTYD in the first place) and went on to direct FE:cipher (the trading card game... which people in the FE community love, at the very least for the artwork which contain a lot of lore 'what ifs'). that being said, FE:cipher is ending soooo.

Pemalite said:
Not really excited for this, not my kind of game, will probably pick up a copy when it's cheaper.
Nice to know those who love these titles will be getting something very soon though... Would have been better if Nintendo communicated about this title allot earlier though. :P

Oh you sweet, summer child. Nintendo games never go down in price! they're the Disney of games! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Pemalite said:

Not to jump at you, but why should they have announced it earlier?