Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Engine 5 Announced + PS5 Demo

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
trunkswd said:

This is nothing? It gets better? I mean I know graphics and what not continue to improve, but this was a big leap over current-gen games. 

Nothing. That character model was good, but nothing compared to what's coming. As far as the environment? I told folks about Quixel (what I use in my personal stuff). For games like Tomb Raider, it will make all the difference.

The character model was nothing special, but environment was great. I thought Senua in the Hellblade 2 trailer looked better. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

looks great, although it'll probably be a few more years before we see games that look this good. don't expect launch titles to look this impressive.

A demo of what 0.01% of console games will look like next gen...and most of them wont use Unreal 5. yay...

trunkswd said:
CGI-Quality said:

Nothing. That character model was good, but nothing compared to what's coming. As far as the environment? I told folks about Quixel (what I use in my personal stuff). For games like Tomb Raider, it will make all the difference.

The character model was nothing special, but environment was great. I thought Senua in the Hellblade 2 trailer looked better. 

Didn't that carry the in-engine assets disclaimer? The main thing about this is that its a live demo running on the playstation.

also art direction on the UE5 demo character was intentionally a bit toony

Last edited by Otter - on 13 May 2020

Around the Network

Its sooooo beautifull.. and detailed!
This demo shown on a playstation 5, is so much more impressive than the "xbox series x gameplay event" where they didnt show any gameplay, just trailers with CGI.

trunkswd said:
CGI-Quality said:

Senua does (using the last and greatest in Zbrush to boot). She's closer to what you can expect from the first half of next gen. Second half? See many of my higher detailed models for reference.

CGI-Quality said:
trunkswd said:

Senua does (using the last and greatest in Zbrush to boot). She's closer to what you can expect from the first half of next gen. Second half? See many of my higher detailed models for reference.

I understand it takes time for developers to take advantage of the latest tech. Not often do launch games blow people away with the graphics. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
CGI-Quality said:

I understand it takes time for developers to take advantage of the latest tech. Not often do launch games blow people away with the graphics. 

Well, they do though (or, at least, they should). Looking at PS3/360 launch games for example. They were many steps ahead of the previous gen (compare Fight Night Xbox → 360 for example). Was night/day. 

CGI-Quality said:
I'll just give away a minor secret, this is nothing compared to what is coming. Just remember what I've told y'all over the past 3 years.

This is already crazy impressive...  You watch this, and you have no doubt, that its not something possible on PS4/XB1.
Next gen is gonna be nuts with graphics.