By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Engine 5 Announced + PS5 Demo

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

Yeah DF guys just mentioned this (about 12,30 mins into their video).
This if 1440p upscaled to 4k, and its running 30fps.

Same demo is going to be 4k@30fps on XSX.

More like 1800p on XSX.
Theres like a ~18% GPU differnce between the two.... its not enough to make 1400p -> 2160p (4)K on the XSX.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
So what I got from this is,

Billions of triangles, translates to possibly 1 game being installed on your console at any given time lol.

Apparently with the old HDD in the PS4 and XB1, they had to package stuff together, so they could load certain things at proper speeds.
This resulted in alot of 3D models and textures, basically being stored multiple times in differnt places/groupings, for loading reasons.
Which in turn made the PS4/XB1 games larger than they needed to be.

I wouldnt be surprised if a SSD and not doing so, alone would reduce avg size used by like 10-15%.

Also they packed in a dedicated chip for compression with these newer consoles, to keep sizes down.

End of the day, we might see PS5/XSX games not nessarily take up more space than the PS4/XB1 games did.

pikashoe said:
looks great, although it'll probably be a few more years before we see games that look this good. don't expect launch titles to look this impressive.

Gears 5 is arguably the best looking UE4 game and I still think it doesnt match the UE4 tech demo we saw 8 years ago. 

Zombie9ers said:
This one tech demo for the PS5 just destroyed everything that Microsoft showed off the other day

MS absolutely dropped the ball by not showing this at their event. I mean, most of their studios actually use the Unreal Engine for their games. I always assumed that they had some kind of deal with Epic.

Wow ok. I was under the impression that they said a few years back Unreal 4 would the last one and they would just update it from here on out. Now that it's out,how much longer will UE4 games be made then?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

looks great, my only question was didn't they state that the whole "climbing through small cracks in walls type stuff to hide loading the next level in the background" wouldn't be a thing anymore now with the speed of the SSD's?

i'm guessing in this case it was just a design/artistic choice for the demo?

Leynos said:
Wow ok. I was under the impression that they said a few years back Unreal 4 would the last one and they would just update it from here on out. Now that it's out,how much longer will UE4 games be made then?

Well, the first UE3 games were released in 2006, and just last year we had MK11 (using an updated version I know); So I suspect we will still see UE4 games in 2032.

RolStoppable said:
chakkra said:

MS absolutely dropped the ball by not showing this at their event. I mean, most of their studios actually use the Unreal Engine for their games. I always assumed that they had some kind of deal with Epic.

True, at least as far as initial reactions are concerned.

But after a while everyone is going to realize that the unimpressive third party showings in Microsoft's event will be the same for the PS5, and that the much better received UE5 demo will be the same for the XSX.

Um first reactions are the biggest.  The 3rd party showcase was a mess and the message disconnect between Microsoft and Ubisoft for Assassin's Creed Valhalla is not a good look either.  Microsoft is the one making bold claim about their console.  As it fails to live up to them, that's going to tarnish its image...again.

Otter said:
0D0 said:

At this point with ps5 almost out, It'd be nice if someone could come up with a thread with lots of ps4 release materials, demos and other stuff. We tend to easily forget how things evolved from there.

UE4 demo was never that impressive and was surpassed by 1st party games in a pretty short time (bar some lighting & particle effects).

Darksorcerer demo is a bit above anything we came to see character wise on PS4, but thats why its so important that this was live gameplay and not just a scripted cutscene where all the engine does is render some characters and a few props.

This PS5 demo is playable and was intended to be playable at GDC. No smoke and mirros.

Wasn't too excited until I saw this post. Now I'm pumped.

4 ≈ One

Probably not wrong other than the edge cases when it comes to Ps5's SSD being faster than current high-end PCs although some are close already at 5GB/s speeds:

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-aorus-1tb/p/N82E16820009012

By the time Ps5 comes out though... Might be another story as the upcoming SSDs are supposed to be 6.5GB/s vs 5.5GB/s on the ps5.

But the question will ultimately come down to is how much of that is gonna get used for most games?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850