By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next gen PS5/XB1SX sales ratio will look the same as this gen's. Huge changes in console marketshare require huge changes in the industry.

DonFerrari said:
jonathanalis said:
Yeah, i think is guaranteed PS5 will outsell xbox easily.
And MS knows that, and now doesnt care about console sales as it used to care.
They are going to sell subscription. Either gamepass or xCloud. A PC owner that plays MS games counts for them as much as a console owner. Same for a xCloud user on mobile. They are adapting.
Now, we that have to change our metrics, console marketshare doesnt mean the same as before.

As long as we don't go like some want, to compare Xbox Live gold+silver+pc+switch versus PS+ to claim a tie in marketshare.

you've pretty succinctly summed up the mental gymnastics, revisionist history, and goalpost shifting that so many people in this thread are resorting to in order to make this appear to be a more even fight than it actually is. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:

343i have the freedom to love halo or get the fuck out. I love that freedom.

So 343i was made for halo and turn 10 was made for forza and the coalition gears, but playground is special? 

I'm 100% sure that project Mara was ninja theory idea. They dont even have a script yet its just a concept so far. Im pretty sure they wanted to work on that game. Hellblade was probably on the backburner as the next big project. That was probably some deal they made. 

I'm sure all those other devs have the freedom to do what they want. As soon as they hit a decent game. The cage will just drop around them. 

Why would someone work or want to work at 343i if they didn't want to work on Halo? Come'on man. You're really reaching with this one. Same goes with the other studios.

You're right, it was Ninja Theory's idea to work on Project Mara, and so was Hellblade 2 and Bleeding Edge. MS isn't limiting these newly acquired studios to work on any particular IP besides World's Edge which was created to work on Age of Empire franchise. Do you feel this strongly with Sony Santa Monica only working on God of War? Or Sony San Diego working only on MLB The Show? Probably not because double standards are fairly common around these parts. 

smroadkill15 said:
eva01beserk said:

So 343i was made for halo and turn 10 was made for forza and the coalition gears, but playground is special? 

I'm 100% sure that project Mara was ninja theory idea. They dont even have a script yet its just a concept so far. Im pretty sure they wanted to work on that game. Hellblade was probably on the backburner as the next big project. That was probably some deal they made. 

I'm sure all those other devs have the freedom to do what they want. As soon as they hit a decent game. The cage will just drop around them. 

Why would someone work or want to work at 343i if they didn't want to work on Halo? Come'on man. You're really reaching with this one. Same goes with the other studios.

You're right, it was Ninja Theory's idea to work on Project Mara, and so was Hellblade 2 and Bleeding Edge. MS isn't limiting these newly acquired studios to work on any particular IP besides World's Edge which was created to work on Age of Empire franchise. Do you feel this strongly with Sony Santa Monica only working on God of War? Or Sony San Diego working only on MLB The Show? Probably not because double standards are fairly common around these parts. 

The problem of your double standard attack is that we know SSM was working on a different game but it was to similar to Destiny so it was canned and they decided to go back to GoW, Sony actually asked they to try something new.

At the time these people joined 343i sure they were eager to work on Halo since the studio was created for that, the other studio isn't the same since they were working on something else and flipped to Gears (sure we have some reports saying they wanted to do it). But after 10 years that may not be the same anymore. Do MS allow these devs to change to other studios? It would be a good policy to keep team fresh, exchange experiences and don't lose good employees because they want to do something new.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
smroadkill15 said:

The problem of your double standard attack is that we know SSM was working on a different game but it was to similar to Destiny so it was canned and they decided to go back to GoW, Sony actually asked they to try something new.

At the time these people joined 343i sure they were eager to work on Halo since the studio was created for that, the other studio isn't the same since they were working on something else and flipped to Gears (sure we have some reports saying they wanted to do it). But after 10 years that may not be the same anymore. Do MS allow these devs to change to other studios? It would be a good policy to keep team fresh, exchange experiences and don't lose good employees because they want to do something new.

MS gave them the choice if they wanted to work on Gears or keep going with their original idea. If anyone is still working at the Coalition from when the studio was first established, they still must enjoy it or else they would have left by now. Anyone looking to work at the studio now, obviously wants to work on the Gears franchise. With that said, rumors are The Coalition is working on the multiplayer portion of the new Perfect Dark game, while the Initiative is working on the story mode. I'm heard of devs moving around within MS. 

smroadkill15 said:
DonFerrari said:

MS gave them the choice if they wanted to work on Gears or keep going with their original idea. If anyone is still working at the Coalition from when the studio was first established, they still must enjoy it or else they would have left by now. Anyone looking to work at the studio now, obviously wants to work on the Gears franchise. With that said, rumors are The Coalition is working on the multiplayer portion of the new Perfect Dark game, while the Initiative is working on the story mode. I'm heard of devs moving around within MS. 

Sorry but people not leaving a company doesn't mean they like what they are doing, real world have bills to pay and people will keep working even if they don't like it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
eva01beserk said:

Just to add to what donferrari said. Even if it was not the case that Santa monica was doing something else and got cancelled, just look at all the other studios that change ips even if they where successful. While MS tied down every single dev that hit a big one. And now there are only rumors of playground doing something else. 

I can just inmagine all the mccdonalds employees cleaning toilets just loving their jobs. What other reason could there be for them to be there earning minimum wage. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

SpokenTruth said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Absolutely agreed on Playground, Obsidian, and NT not being unproven studios. I wasn't talking about those three studios at all. See my previous reply to Shika for more on that.

They did extend a generous warranty. Replacement 360's in all likelyhood got counted as a sale though.

Nobody really knew the extent of the RROD fiasco until it was long over. Analysts were guessing anywhere from 10% to 30% failure rate on first gen 360s. MS was the only one that knew the real number to be around 50% at the time, and hardcore Xbox fans were guessing as low as 8%. Trust me, I was in the Xbox camp at the time, and wrongly shrugged off the RROD issue as if it was nothing. It's really hard for something like RROD to affect sales in a negative fashion, when the actual failure rate is a giant question mark for most consumers.

99.99% doubtful.  Units supplied directly to consumers as a warranty replacement would never be counted as a sale according to GAAP and other industry practices which MS follows. Now if a consumer personally purchased a new unit themselves, that would count.

The only time in video game console history were replacement units were counted was by Sony prior to Q1 2007.  They reported units manufactured as "units sold" before that date.  "Beginning with Q1 FY07, the method of reporting hardware and software unit sales has been changed from production shipments to recorded sales.". [PDF] A "recorded sale" being an order from a retailer, not an end consumer.  That's called "sell-through". 

I could have sworn sell-through wasn't being recorded by MS until 2008. But I can't find anything on it, even after a day and a half trying. I think I'm just misremembering here.

People have been talking about what new games MS might have for XB2, but they are also kind of losing games. There won't be a Sunset Overdrive Sequel, and you can only really do Halo MCC once. It's far too soon for a Halo 5 remake.

Cerebralbore101 said:
People have been talking about what new games MS might have for XB2, but they are also kind of losing games. There won't be a Sunset Overdrive Sequel, and you can only really do Halo MCC once. It's far too soon for a Halo 5 remake.

They could do a new compilation... Because the Master Chief Collection does not include Halo 5, Halo Wars, Halo Wars 2, Halo: Spartan Strike, Halo: Spartan Assault... And they could remake Halo 3, Halo: ODST, Halo: Reach, Halo 4, Halo Wars, Halo: Spartan Strike, Halo: Spartan Assault.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

They could do a new compilation... Because the Master Chief Collection does not include Halo 5, Halo Wars, Halo Wars 2, Halo: Spartan Strike, Halo: Spartan Assault... And they could remake Halo 3, Halo: ODST, Halo: Reach, Halo 4, Halo Wars, Halo: Spartan Strike, Halo: Spartan Assault.

Halo 3 and 4 weren't part of MCC? Edit: They are coming to MCC though. From the Steam page:

Includes 7 items: Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Halo: Reach, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Halo 2: Anniversary, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo 4

Halo Wars, Halo Wars 2, Spartan Strike, and Spartan Assault? You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel there with the mobile stuff. The Wars games are decent from what I understand, but hardly worth doing a compilation IMO.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 15 May 2020