By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So... RIP "Sony Interactive Entertainment Presents" I guess?

RolStoppable said:
sales2099 said:

Not only they copied the “studios” aspect but even the animation has been done by Xbox. I mean it’s no big deal but cmon have your own identity.

https://kotaku.com/sony-copies-microsoft-creates-new-playstation-studios-1843415150/amp

Um... Sony's identity has always been about taking bits and pieces of other companies. They know who has the good ideas.

Examples?

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
shikamaru317 said:

So, I was just analyzing (or more likely over-analyzing) the new Playstation Studios animation. Several things caught my attention:

• All of the Sony's AAA 1st party studios are represented in the animation except for Sucker Punch and Bend. Could mean nothing, but could also mean something that those 2 are missing. For Sucker Punch, could mean that Infamous is well and truly dead, and that a sequel for Ghost of Tsushima isn't currently planned. For Bend, could mean that Sony doesn't consider Days Gone to be a core franchise in spite of it's success. 
  • The animation doubles up on Naughty Dog, showing both Uncharted and The Last of Us. That is interesting that they kept Uncharted in there considering the rumors that Naughty Dog is no longer interested in continuing the series. Could this be a hint that Sony has a secret new studio working on a new Uncharted series for next-gen, possibly focused on Drake's daughter, or that the rumors are false and Naughty Dog will make another Uncharted next after TLOU 2?
  • For Insomniac, Sony chose to showcase Ratchet instead of Spider-Man. Could mean that Imsomniac still has 2 large teams like they used to, with a new Ratchet coming from the 2nd large team before Spider-Man 2.
  • Sackboy/Little Big Planet is represented even though it has been 6 years since the last LBP game. Could be a hint that Media Molecule is doing a new LBP for PS5, now that Dreams is out. 

The point of a snippet like this is to keep it short and sweet while highlighting the best the company has to offer in studio form.

Yep, they just wanted to show different things, this kind of thing is not a commentary on what's going on with each studio right now.

sales2099 said:
zealen said:

Playstation Original animation, 2015

Ok, that’s fair. Still it’s the inserting of game IPs and the “studios” label. It’s like their pitch meetings include “so what’s MS doing lately?”

Just admit the Kotaku article with the Twitter side by side nails it. It’s ok, Sony isn’t immune to being called out. Acknowledge it and call it a day. 

You can't really own a word like "studios" or the concept of showing off your IPs, that's silly. Game studios are game studios and I daresay Sony has been the frontrunner here in building said studios, while MS has been playing catch-up.

This is a good move on Sony's part, but I think they should change the logo. It should say "Playstation" on there somewhere. The PS-logo alone will not connect with many consumers who are not super familiar with Sony. That older one from 2015 is actually better in this regard.

twintail said:
DonFerrari said:
Considering the SSD load I would prefer the game wouldn't even have any generic intro.

SSD load wouldn't stop skippabble (or worse, unskippable) intros though.

I hope for their games they just do the white logo for like a sec or 2 (nothing is better of course)

It would totally go against what we've heard about the SSD and fast loading times. If they are there, fine, but as long as you can choose to skip them all, one after another instantly, then that's fine. 

Even better, have a second button option to one hit skip right to the menu/title screen.

Around the Network
twintail said:
sales2099 said:

Not only they copied the “studios” aspect but even the animation has been done by Xbox. I mean it’s no big deal but cmon have your own identity.

https://kotaku.com/sony-copies-microsoft-creates-new-playstation-studios-1843415150/amp

MS just straight up copied Marvel so it's not like they bothered to create much of an identity either.

Besides, Sony used this style like 5 years ago, so MS were even late to the party. Go figure.

MS copied Marvel. Now Sony copied MS copying Marvel and their 1st party label. The side by side video tells all. Just acknowledge it. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

twintail said:
DonFerrari said:
Considering the SSD load I would prefer the game wouldn't even have any generic intro.

SSD load wouldn't stop skippabble (or worse, unskippable) intros though.

I hope for their games they just do the white logo for like a sec or 2 (nothing is better of course)

The OS menu should have in the options to skip all intros.

sales2099 said:
twintail said:

MS just straight up copied Marvel so it's not like they bothered to create much of an identity either.

Besides, Sony used this style like 5 years ago, so MS were even late to the party. Go figure.

MS copied Marvel. Now Sony copied MS copying Marvel and their 1st party label. The side by side video tells all. Just acknowledge it. 

You ignored that Sony was using this 5 years ago right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

twintail said:
EricHiggin said:

It would totally go against what we've heard about the SSD and fast loading times. If they are there, fine, but as long as you can choose to skip them all, one after another instantly, then that's fine. 

Even better, have a second button option to one hit skip right to the menu/title screen.

There's nothing stopping a publisher from wanting you to see their logo etc. but yes just booting to the menu screen (or at least having a skip button) would be better.

sales2099 said:

well you acknowledged MS just copied Sony which is all I was trying to say.

I said MS copied Marvel. The 5 year ago Sony animation doesn’t have the insertion of IP characters and is a loose inspiration. Cmon lol, see the side by side and the new label and tell me Sony copied MS. Can’t always deny deny and defend. It’s not a big deal. 

I’ll acknowledge the copy if you acknowledge the copy of the copy (plus same label). 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
twintail said:

There's nothing stopping a publisher from wanting you to see their logo etc. but yes just booting to the menu screen (or at least having a skip button) would be better.

well you acknowledged MS just copied Sony which is all I was trying to say.

I said MS copied Marvel. The 5 year ago Sony animation doesn’t have the insertion of IP characters and is a loose inspiration. Cmon lol, see the side by side and the new label and tell me Sony copied MS. Can’t always deny deny and defend. It’s not a big deal. 

I’ll acknowledge the copy if you acknowledge the copy of the copy (plus same label). 

Man you're trying way too hard. They're both doing the "Marvel Intro" because the MCU's success as of late is the biggest thing to hit the entertainment industry since GTA5.

There's nothing to acknowledge other than Marvel has set a trend.

EDITED

4 ≈ One

Bristow9091 said:
sales2099 said:

If it's not a big deal why are you making such a big deal about it? The new animation is the same one from 2015 but with games inserted in it, maybe they were just waiting for their big games to hit since the majority of games shown in it are from after 2015. Also Microsoft only renamed to XBOX Game Studios last year so it's not like they've had it for a long time either. This actually sort of shows that Sony had the animation before Microsoft, so maybe it's Microsoft that copied? But who knows, it's "not a big deal" and you're not going to get riled up over people disagreeing with you, right? 

People like to pretend they are above console wars but ultimately they are even more bias then me, because at least I can call out MS for doing something odd. I find it amusing people won’t give an inch even on something as little as this. Even your explanation jumped through a couple hoops to explain it is in fact MS who copied Sony despite having the label and animation for over a year. So weird seeing in action. 

All I wanted was for someone to say “You know what, you right it is weird Sony did that but who cares”. That people can’t even acknowledge something so small ironically shows their bias. At least I am open with it, where as others are rather closeted despite having anonymous accounts.