By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So... RIP "Sony Interactive Entertainment Presents" I guess?

Ok. Not like SEGA AM2 a true iconic studio is changing its name.So whatever. My fave of these kinds of logo's is the very opening of Spider-Man 2002. With those drums and the tuning up of the music.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Sogreblute said:
And they said it will be used for Playstation games that are also on other platforms. That means more PC ports.

While I am expecting more PC ports than just Horizon, that could mainly be referring to MLB The Show. Starting with MLB The Show 21, the series is going multiplat, will be releasing on Xbox and Switch as well. Rumor is that MLB got sick of losing out on money due to Sony exclusivity, so they threatened to pull the license and sell it to EA or 2K if Sony didn't go multiplat. That's not confirmed of course, Sony may have decided to make the series multiplat of their own volition, but I doubt it. 

Its not confirmed because its not true.  Sony doesn't have exclusivity on the MLB license.  MLB has its own videogame arm called MLB Advanced Media that publishes the R.B.I Baseball set of games.  MLBAM was created due to the fact that no 3rd party developer (EA/2k) would pick up the MLB license after 2K ended its baseball license in 2014 (Sony/989 Studios had the license since the late 90s)...so the threaten to pull the license bit doesn't even remotely make sense.  R.B.I baseball 20 and MLB the Show are on the PS4 so it actually has competition.  The Switch and Xbox versions do not have any competing baseball games that release on the consoles.

RolStoppable said:
sales2099 said:

Not only they copied the “studios” aspect but even the animation has been done by Xbox. I mean it’s no big deal but cmon have your own identity.

https://kotaku.com/sony-copies-microsoft-creates-new-playstation-studios-1843415150/amp

Um... Sony's identity has always been about taking bits and pieces of other companies. They know who has the good ideas.

Well, except for that is the same exact animation from their 2015 PS Originals opening. I could be wrong, but if memory serves me right, Sony created the first Marvel intro for Raimi's Spider-Man.

shikamaru317 said:

So, I was just analyzing (or more likely over-analyzing) the new Playstation Studios animation. Several things caught my attention:

• All of the Sony's AAA 1st party studios are represented in the animation except for Sucker Punch and Bend. Could mean nothing, but could also mean something that those 2 are missing. For Sucker Punch, could mean that Infamous is well and truly dead, and that a sequel for Ghost of Tsushima isn't currently planned. For Bend, could mean that Sony doesn't consider Days Gone to be a core franchise in spite of it's success. 
  • The animation doubles up on Naughty Dog, showing both Uncharted and The Last of Us. That is interesting that they kept Uncharted in there considering the rumors that Naughty Dog is no longer interested in continuing the series. Could this be a hint that Sony has a secret new studio working on a new Uncharted series for next-gen, possibly focused on Drake's daughter, or that the rumors are false and Naughty Dog will make another Uncharted next after TLOU 2?
  • For Insomniac, Sony chose to showcase Ratchet instead of Spider-Man. Could mean that Imsomniac still has 2 large teams like they used to, with a new Ratchet coming from the 2nd large team before Spider-Man 2.
  • Sackboy/Little Big Planet is represented even though it has been 6 years since the last LBP game. Could be a hint that Media Molecule is doing a new LBP for PS5, now that Dreams is out. 

The point of a snippet like this is to keep it short and sweet while highlighting the best the company has to offer in studio form.

Train wreck said:
shikamaru317 said:

While I am expecting more PC ports than just Horizon, that could mainly be referring to MLB The Show. Starting with MLB The Show 21, the series is going multiplat, will be releasing on Xbox and Switch as well. Rumor is that MLB got sick of losing out on money due to Sony exclusivity, so they threatened to pull the license and sell it to EA or 2K if Sony didn't go multiplat. That's not confirmed of course, Sony may have decided to make the series multiplat of their own volition, but I doubt it. 

Its not confirmed because its not true.  Sony doesn't have exclusivity on the MLB license.  MLB has its own videogame arm called MLB Advanced Media that publishes the R.B.I Baseball set of games.  MLBAM was created due to the fact that no 3rd party developer (EA/2k) would pick up the MLB license after 2K ended its baseball license in 2014 (Sony/989 Studios had the license since the late 90s)...so the threaten to pull the license bit doesn't even remotely make sense.  R.B.I baseball 20 and MLB the Show are on the PS4 so it actually has competition.  The Switch and Xbox versions do not have any competing baseball games that release on the consoles.

This 100%. Plus it's not Sony's fault that 2K ended their MLB license back then. The Xbox fanbase had MLB games on their system, they just didn't buy them. The Show outsold and eclipsed 2K MLB games critically and commercially. This "rumor" wasn't even a rumor, it was just passed around on gaming threads by users who have no inside knowledge of it. It gets spun so many times on so many gaming sites that people just start believing it. Rather than that, those other console fans should just celebrate getting a AAA baseball game in the Show and appreciate it. On the matter of this logo, it will probably be on the Show boot up screen from now on even just as marketing for the Sony game on another system. 

Around the Network
zealen said:
sales2099 said:

Not only they copied the “studios” aspect but even the animation has been done by Xbox. I mean it’s no big deal but cmon have your own identity.

https://kotaku.com/sony-copies-microsoft-creates-new-playstation-studios-1843415150/amp

Playstation Original animation, 2015

I was looking for this. Knew i have seen it before they just added their ips in and called it a day.

Blood_Tears said:
Train wreck said:

This 100%. Plus it's not Sony's fault that 2K ended their MLB license back then. The Xbox fanbase had MLB games on their system, they just didn't buy them. The Show outsold and eclipsed 2K MLB games critically and commercially. This "rumor" wasn't even a rumor, it was just passed around on gaming threads by users who have no inside knowledge of it. It gets spun so many times on so many gaming sites that people just start believing it. Rather than that, those other console fans should just celebrate getting a AAA baseball game in the Show and appreciate it. On the matter of this logo, it will probably be on the Show boot up screen from now on even just as marketing for the Sony game on another system. 

The inverse is the more plausible story.  MLB was tired of making baseball games that no one would buy on systems where it was the only baseball game.  So they turned to the leader in the space and gave them full rights, creative control and % of royalties in exchange for the game being multiplat.  Starting in 2021, there will be no MLBAM produced R.B.I baseball game, MLB the Show will be the only game in town.

zealen said:
sales2099 said:

Playstation Original animation, 2015

Ok, that’s fair. Still it’s the inserting of game IPs and the “studios” label. It’s like their pitch meetings include “so what’s MS doing lately?”

Just admit the Kotaku article with the Twitter side by side nails it. It’s ok, Sony isn’t immune to being called out. Acknowledge it and call it a day. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I hope they don't display that long intro before every game home screen.

I like the new name tho

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

shikamaru317 said:
Sogreblute said:
And they said it will be used for Playstation games that are also on other platforms. That means more PC ports.

To be clear, the studio that makes MLB will pull a Mojang and deliberately make games multiplat? Color me surprised I never thought Sony would ever do that. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.