By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So... RIP "Sony Interactive Entertainment Presents" I guess?

TheMisterManGuy said:

Today, Sony unveiled something rather surprising, PlayStation Studios. The new umbrella label for first party games on the PS5. I like that Sony Interactive has enough confidence in just using PlayStation as the nickname for whole company, showing they know how strong of a brand it is. But I can't say I'm a fan of the intro they showed. It just feels too overproduced and soulless for PlayStation to me.

The animation is smooth as fack, it looks really well done imo.

"PlayStation Studios" is short, sweet and to the point.
Generic? maybe, but you can do simplistic in a way where it still comes off looking good.
And end of the day, all that matters is whats communicated to the end user. Simplistic is a good way to go.

Also its been like 5hours and its gotten over 400k views? lmao.
lotta people out there, willing to watch a "Opening Animation" for a studio and a logo.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 12 May 2020

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
RolStoppable said:

Um... Sony's identity has always been about taking bits and pieces of other companies. They know who has the good ideas.

Well, except for that is the same exact animation from their 2015 PS Originals opening. I could be wrong, but if memory serves me right, Sony created the first Marvel intro for Raimi's Spider-Man.

Don't take the bait dammit

Replicant said:
thismeintiel said:

Well, except for that is the same exact animation from their 2015 PS Originals opening. I could be wrong, but if memory serves me right, Sony created the first Marvel intro for Raimi's Spider-Man.

Don't take the bait dammit

I'll take it if i want to. I hate you! You're not my real father!

The intro just feels derivative of the Marvel Studios logo, except none of the characters are really that iconic enough to carry the same weight.

Looks too much like a movie credit for my taste.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Considering the SSD load I would prefer the game wouldn't even have any generic intro.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

thismeintiel said:
RolStoppable said:

Um... Sony's identity has always been about taking bits and pieces of other companies. They know who has the good ideas.

Not to forget that PS3 used the Spider-Man font from these movies as well, that who know was made by Sony and basically the only superhero franchise at the time that was any good.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

shikamaru317 said:
the-pi-guy said:

Where are PD, Japan Studio, London Studio, Pixelopus represented?

I mean, I expect Insomniac probably has at least 2 teams.  

Ratchet and Clank came in 2016, Spiderman in 2018, Stormlands (yes it's a VR title, but it's not a small one) in 2019 with 6 small titles in between. I'd be staggered if they made changes to only work on 1 game, considering how productive they are.  

They probably just are putting their most notable titles in the first video.

They made mention of swapping out for other IP's.

I said AAA Was referring to Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch, Insomniac, and Bend. Don't really class any of their other studios as AAA. Well, I guess Polyphony (Gran Turismo) could be considered AAA as well though, thinking about it more after the fact.

I know, Insomniac seems to have had a great many teams before Sony bought them. But many, including myself, were worried that Sony buying Insomniac after the huge success of Spider-Man (13m+ as of August 2019 when they acquired Insomniac) meant they would just turn them into a great big Spider-Man milking machine. Spider-Man is great and all, but I would like to see other games by them in the future, particular other large AAA games. Hopefully Ratchet appearing in the video instead of Spider-Man is a good sign that they won't just be a Spider-Man studio moving forward. I honestly hope that Sunset Overdrive 2 is a possibility, Insomniac kept ownership of the IP even though MS published the first game, so Sony owns the IP now, I really hope they let Insomniac develop it, Insomniac was still interested in doing a sequel as of 2018 at least.

Yes Sony leave all their devs with freedom to decide what they do, but them they buy Insomniac to butcher it and remove R&C which have been selling well and being the main platformer on the system for several gens. Makes a lot of sense.

DonFerrari said:
shikamaru317 said:

I said AAA Was referring to Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch, Insomniac, and Bend. Don't really class any of their other studios as AAA. Well, I guess Polyphony (Gran Turismo) could be considered AAA as well though, thinking about it more after the fact.

I know, Insomniac seems to have had a great many teams before Sony bought them. But many, including myself, were worried that Sony buying Insomniac after the huge success of Spider-Man (13m+ as of August 2019 when they acquired Insomniac) meant they would just turn them into a great big Spider-Man milking machine. Spider-Man is great and all, but I would like to see other games by them in the future, particular other large AAA games. Hopefully Ratchet appearing in the video instead of Spider-Man is a good sign that they won't just be a Spider-Man studio moving forward. I honestly hope that Sunset Overdrive 2 is a possibility, Insomniac kept ownership of the IP even though MS published the first game, so Sony owns the IP now, I really hope they let Insomniac develop it, Insomniac was still interested in doing a sequel as of 2018 at least.

Yes Sony leave all their devs with freedom to decide what they do, but them they buy Insomniac to butcher it and remove R&C which have been selling well and being the main platformer on the system for several gens. Makes a lot of sense.

On the flip side I hope they make more R&C because I know it’s not as popular as Spiderman ;) Competition and it’s games will have a better time dealing with their lesser selling IPs then churning out Spiderman every 2-3 years. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

On the flip side I hope they make more R&C because I know it’s not as popular as Spiderman ;) Competition and it’s games will have a better time dealing with their lesser selling IPs then churning out Spiderman every 2-3 years. 

That is one way for looking at it. I would rather have they making other superhero IPs instead of just Spiderman, plus of course R&C and new IPs.