Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much do you care about the graphical leap between consoles at this point?

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

If actual shipping games can meet or exceed the quality of the UE5 demo, then the jump from PS4 to PS5 will impress me more than the jump from PS3 to PS4.

I'm happy with how my Switch games look for the moment; when the times comes I would hope it's successor can exceed the PS4 graphically and incorporate some of the advances of PS5/XSX.

The current Switch can straight up run full blown high end PS4/XB1 games. 

It's just a little cramped to do it and there are cartridge storage issues to account for also, but it can do it. 

Switch 2 will be able to do the same for PS5 more easily with DLSS factored in and larger cartridge sizes also I think. 64GB cartridges will likely become reasonably cheap and 128GB may even be an option fairly quickly. 

Not to mention SD Card options ... there are even some 1TB SD Card nowadays can be found for as low as $45 US on Amazon, let alone a couple of years down the road. 

Sounds very much like the typical Chinese offering where devices get tricked into showing eight times the space of what is available in reality. So your example would actually be an 128 GB card advertised as 1 TB and $45 is a rather high price for that; but that's the point of the false advertising, to sell the same amount of storage for a higher price while suggesting that consumers are getting a good deal. What makes matters worse is that those cheap SD cards have also common problems with reliability, so they stop working fast. They are an all around bad option.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

Not a lot to be honest. I really don't care about good graphics anymore, just good performance. I'm still on PS4 slim and Xbox One S, so that says all. I'm not really very excited about the new consoles until they show games I want to play.

RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

It's just a little cramped to do it and there are cartridge storage issues to account for also, but it can do it. 

Switch 2 will be able to do the same for PS5 more easily with DLSS factored in and larger cartridge sizes also I think. 64GB cartridges will likely become reasonably cheap and 128GB may even be an option fairly quickly. 

Not to mention SD Card options ... there are even some 1TB SD Card nowadays can be found for as low as $45 US on Amazon, let alone a couple of years down the road. 

Sounds very much like the typical Chinese offering where devices get tricked into showing eight times the space of what is available in reality. So your example would actually be an 128 GB card advertised as 1 TB and $45 is a rather high price for that; but that's the point of the false advertising, to sell the same amount of storage for a higher price while suggesting that consumers are getting a good deal. What makes matters worse is that those cheap SD cards have also common problems with reliability, so they stop working fast. They are an all around bad option.

I would caution anyone buying an SD card from such casual outlets where it seems to good to be true.

Personally if it's not a "high endurance" SD card, it's nothing for me, data retention is super important.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

If actual shipping games can meet or exceed the quality of the UE5 demo, then the jump from PS4 to PS5 will impress me more than the jump from PS3 to PS4.

I'm happy with how my Switch games look for the moment; when the times comes I would hope it's successor can exceed the PS4 graphically and incorporate some of the advances of PS5/XSX.

If Switch 2 can exceed PS4/Xbone to the extent that Switch 1 exceeds PS3/360, and be roughly the same distance from PS5/XSX as Switch 1 is from PS4/Xbone, I'll be happy.

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

If Switch 2 can exceed PS4/Xbone to the extent that Switch 1 exceeds PS3/360, and be roughly the same distance from PS5/XSX as Switch 1 is from PS4/Xbone, I'll be happy.

I think with the technology we -currently- have available, we might see around Xbox One levels of performance with the Switch 2, if Nintendo adopts nVidia's latest SoC which is a big ask.

We already have LPDDR5 which can increase bandwidth by 50% over LPDDR4X (Switch uses older/slower LPDDR4), so 50GB/s of bandwidth should be possible for a Switch 2... Which is roughly what you want to start touching full 1080P.
LPDDR5X might be a thing by then too... Who knows.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

I think with the technology we -currently- have available, we might see around Xbox One levels of performance with the Switch 2, if Nintendo adopts nVidia's latest SoC which is a big ask.

We already have LPDDR5 which can increase bandwidth by 50% over LPDDR4X (Switch uses older/slower LPDDR4), so 50GB/s of bandwidth should be possible for a Switch 2... Which is roughly what you want to start touching full 1080P.

So if that's whats currently available, any idea about what could be available for a release in 2023?

curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

So if that's whats currently available, any idea about what could be available for a release in 2023?

Unless Nintendo does a 180 and decides to make Switch 2 with the latest and greatest, whatever is avaiable this year or 2021 at best is probably what's going inside of it - even Tegra X1 would be too costly for them if nVidia haven't flopped so hard at selling it (I don't think there's actually any devices outside their own that use it), thus eventually making it affordable for Nintendo.

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

Unless Nintendo does a 180 and decides to make Switch 2 with the latest and greatest, whatever is avaiable this year or 2021 at best is probably what's going inside of it - even Tegra X1 would be too costly for them if nVidia haven't flopped so hard at selling it (I don't think there's actually any devices outside their own that use it), thus eventually making it affordable for Nintendo.

Tegra X1 was available in May 2015 for $199.99 in the Shield console, and those are definitely sold at a profit because Nvidia doesn't make money off software really. 

So no, I don't really buy that aspect. Switch was a portable console so it had to have the power to run Nintendo's home console games and that would have always required a high end chip. 

curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

Apple crossed/matched XBox One level performance two years ago with the Apple A12X chip ... Nvidia prior to that was fairly even with Apple's big ticket offerings, the Tegra X1 is pretty equivalent to the Apple A9X that launched that same year for example. Since then Nvidia has gone quiet on future Tegra X processors likely because Nintendo has asked them to as they are the main vendor for said chip and if Nvidia was talking years in advance about it everyone and their grandma on the internet would be saying it's the Switch 2 chip. 

By 2023 they should be able to do something in raw power that I think is beyond a PS4, the same way the Switch Tegra X1 is beyond a PS3/360 (especially docked). 

But when you factor in DLSS 2.0 or 3.0 ... that performance jumps massively, that is something that wasn't available in the past and means the same chip now only has to render like 1/4-1/8th the pixels or even less. That's a huge game changer. 

So suddenly a chip that's PS4+ becomes close to an actual PS5 in terms of the games it can run. 

Remember the Tegra X1 launch in May 2015, so that is 18 months after the PS4/XB1 and it is able to run PS4/XB1 games, and some pretty beefy ones at that ... Witcher 3 and DOOM are not low end PS4 titles. With no advantage of DLSS at all. 

PS5 in November 2020 versus a new Switch 2 in say summer/fall 2023 is actually a bigger time gap by over a year long than the gap between PS4 and Tegra X1. Nvidia has way better graphics engineers than AMD ... AMD can't even beat Nvidia's Turing architecture which is 2 years old now even on a smaller node (7nm vs. 12nm) which is sad.

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

Apple crossed/matched XBox One level performance two years ago with the Apple A12X chip ... Nvidia prior to that was fairly even with Apple's big ticket offerings, the Tegra X1 is pretty equivalent to the Apple A9X that launched that same year for example. Since then Nvidia has gone quiet on future Tegra X processors likely because Nintendo has asked them to as they are the main vendor for said chip and if Nvidia was talking years in advance about it everyone and their grandma on the internet would be saying it's the Switch 2 chip. 

By 2023 they should be able to do something in raw power that I think is beyond a PS4, the same way the Switch Tegra X1 is beyond a PS3/360 (especially docked). 

But when you factor in DLSS 2.0 or 3.0 ... that performance jumps massively, that is something that wasn't available in the past and means the same chip now only has to render like 1/4-1/8th the pixels or even less. That's a huge game changer. 

So suddenly a chip that's PS4+ becomes close to an actual PS5 in terms of the games it can run. 

Remember the Tegra X1 launch in May 2015, so that is 18 months after the PS4/XB1 and it is able to run PS4/XB1 games, and some pretty beefy ones at that ... Witcher 3 and DOOM are not low end PS4 titles. With no advantage of DLSS at all. 

PS5 in November 2020 versus a new Switch 2 in say summer/fall 2023 is actually a bigger time gap by over a year long than the gap between PS4 and Tegra X1. Nvidia has way better graphics engineers than AMD ... AMD can't even beat Nvidia's Turing architecture which is 2 years old now even on a smaller node (7nm vs. 12nm) which is sad.

DLSS can help with pixel fillrate but to be fair there is more to it than that; bandwith, CPU, SSD, etc.

I'm sure Switch 2 can exceed PS4 but I'm very skeptical of it getting "close to PS5."