By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 17, 2020 (Apr 20 - Apr 26)

Tagged games:

TOP 10 Switch Famitsu 2020:

1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons(2020) - 3.895.159
  2. Pokemon Sword / Shield - 590.338
  3. Ring Fit Adventure - 283.304
  4. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX(2020) - 241.611
  5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 238.840
  6. Minecraft - 217.271
  7. Smash Ultimate - 212.452
  8. Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch - 167.687
  9. Super Mario Party - 152.570
  10. Splatoon 2 - 130.542

TOTAL: 6.129.774

TOP 10 Switch Famitsu 2019:

1. Pokemon Sword / Shield - 2.744.658
  2. Smash Ultimate - 1.057.012
  3. Super Mario Maker 2 - 774.102
  4. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 735.437
  5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 587.829
  6. Minecraft - 579.998
  7. Super Mario Party - 464.208
  8. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age S - 456.426
  9. Luigi's Mansion 3 - 446.649
  10. Ring Fit Adventure - 443.118

TOTAL: 8.289.437

• Animal Crossing already sold more than the combined total of the two top titles of 2019 - Pokemon Sword / Shield & Smash Ultimate 
  • 7 weeks until the end of the Quarter there is a great chance we surpass last year's Top 10 Total, only 2.1M left
  • Animal Crossing at this point might be around 5M by the end of June... 
  • Ring Fit Adventure finally getting stock, if there is enough we can see it above 500K by mid-year
  • Splatoon 2 replaces Luigi's Mansion 3 in the Top 10, should remain there until Xenoblade 
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is moving in on that 4th spot, continues to outperform Smash & Minecraft this year

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Salnax said:
In a couple of weeks, Animal Crossing joins the small crowd of games to sell 4 million on consoles in Japan.

Couple of weeks?  That's on the next Famitsu report.  And that's just physical copies too.

How many games even managed to sell over 4M in Japan?

Marth said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Technically 26. ACNH. 

Marth said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

That's quite a bit more than I expected. Though with the Pokemon titles, that should have been expected. And Mario, and Animal Crossing. Probably not too many of those not from Nintendo themselves

Bofferbrauer2 said:
SpokenTruth said:

Couple of weeks?  That's on the next Famitsu report.  And that's just physical copies too.

With a google search I got this page from 2012:
https://soranews24.com/2012/07/08/japans-best-selling-video-games-of-all-time/

Non-Nintendo/Pokemon:

FF7 (4M)
DQ7 (4.14M)
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (4.16M)
DQ9 (4.3M)
Monster Hunter 3rd (4.7M)

Also this 3DS game released since 2012:
Monster Hunter 4 (4.1M)

I believe every other 4M+ seller is Nintendo/Pokemon.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

With a google search I got this page from 2012:
https://soranews24.com/2012/07/08/japans-best-selling-video-games-of-all-time/

Non-Nintendo/Pokemon:

FF7 (4M)
DQ7 (4.14M)
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (4.16M)
DQ9 (4.3M)
Monster Hunter 3rd (4.7M)

Also this 3DS game released since 2012:
Monster Hunter 4 (4.1M)

I believe every other 4M+ seller is Nintendo/Pokemon.

Can also use game data library:

https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/list-of-million-sellers

Reassessing my prediction from the beginning of January and making Q2 ones

noshten said:
zorg1000 said:

They don't really need to beat 2nd half line up to do better

They only need a price drop and a Animal Crossing themed Switch/Switch Lite. 

Animal Crossing demand will be constant hardware driver for a while after it releases.

CORRECT SO FAR IN TERMS OF ANIMAL CROSSING DRIVING DEMAND

We know nothing about 2nd half of 2020 in terms of 1st Party titles. 
There are also rumors of new "Pro" Switch. 

NO MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR GAMES OR SWITCH PRO FOR THE 2ND HALF OF 2020

I know I've said that every year but it never lived up to expectations, but 2020 will hopefully change this and we will finally get a Japanese 3rd Party 1M seller on the system. I though Yo-kai 4 would do it this year, but I guess Level-5 aren't able maintain a successful IP. I think based on Ring Fit and that other Boxing game the 1M seller won't be a big budget game but rather - something that resonates with an audience. If I was a Japanese 3rd party right now, I'd be thinking about a complimentary game to Animal Crossing with small budget, something that would be attractive to a female audience. Since I'm neither Japanese or a women, I can't really think of something but that would be a smart idea. But Japanese 3rd parties are so far behind the curve that I think maybe a smaller indie dev might eat their lunch at this point.

NO MAJOR FEMALE FOCUSED GAME ANNOUNCED YET FOR 2020

Obviously if a new Monster Hunter does end up on the Switch I expect that to easily sell more than 1M but judging from Capcom's output on the system so far, I will believe it when I see it. 

NO MONSTER HUNTER GAME ANNOUNCED FOR 2020

ANIMAL CROSSING

Prior to releasing their Financials, I think Animal Crossing New Horizon shipped + digital for the Q1 will be 5M in Japan. 

One of the reasons is some digital sales will be coming from outside of Japan, 2.5M Digital Sales in its launch month in Japan, and Asia doesn't seem unlikely. 

It's a juggernaut, and considering the new demographics it's bringing in hardware sales will continue to get a boost all year long. If there are DLCs planned for every major holiday - the game will have one hell of an Obon and Christmas period. Nintendo could capitalize by cross-promoting it's other franchises via Animal Crossing. 

OTHER TITLES IN TOP 10

Ring Fit Adventure is probably the other game Nintendo is planning to either release a sequel or keep fresh via further DLCs, won't be surprised if they also release new peripherals.

There is a curious case to be made that now would be a golden opportunity to also add some DLC to other games if bigger titles are delayed. I know part of Animal Crossing team worked on Splatoon 2, so a new multiplayer, single-player or Animal Crossing content would be a great way to get new users into the game especially among new females gamers picking up the Switch.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is still selling like crazy and adding a New Horizon DLC would be bonkers.

Smash Ultimate & Pokemon Sword / Shield are obviously continuing with the updates. 

LACK OF BIG ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR OBON AND CHRISTMAS

Overall Nintendo has a lot of things up their sleeves and currently, Obon is barren. 

Still very interested in Japanese 3rd Parties, so far this year we have 3 titles that that will cross >100K outside of Minecraft. I just wonder the next 3rd Party game we will see >500K. Like I said a few weeks ago, 3rd Parties should have prepared games that compliment Animal Crossing, yet outside of Miku, no major announcement is being made. Japanese 3rd Parties need to show up by the end of the year... otherwise once again they are leaving a ton of money on the table. 

So even without a major game until Breath of the Wild 2, a lot of evergreens could actually have a stronger 2020 than 2019 lacking competition. Still expecting a mid-tier game to be the break out hit for a Japanese 3rd Party this year. 

SWITCH PRO SPECULATION

Still thinking we will see a Switch Pro this year and expecting a $50 price drop for the Base and Lite units.

It will be a bundle that will include a Peripheral computing device focused on living room gaming in front of the TV. Nintendo games will still be released on the entire ecosystem but there would be exclusive 3rd party content on the new device. GTA V and other similar games will not be compatable with older Switches without a Peripheral device being present. 

Switch Pro will receive a lot of ports from 3rd party games from the older gen. 

This will be mainly used to extend the lifecycle of the Switch until Switch 2 is announced for 2022 or 2023. 

PREDICTION FIRST HALF 2020

TOP 10 Q2 Prediction

1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons: >5.5M
  2. Pokemon Sword / Shield: >675K
  3. Ring Fit Adventure: >450K
  4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: >400K
  5. Smash Ultimate >300K
  6. Minecraft:  >275K
  7. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX: >275K
  8. Super Mario Party - >250K
  9. Splatoon 2: >200K
  10. Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch: >200K
  11. Xenoblade Chronicles: >200K

TOP 10 TOTAL: >8.5M

Looking at the top selling games in Japan it looks like there is a very real chance New Horizons could challenge for the #1 spot.

#2 seems to be a safe bet, with only Pokemon R/G/B presenting a difficult reach.

Seeing the list and looking at New Leaf at 5.8 million and Smash Ultimate and Sword/Shield both over 4.2 million, I'm assuming that those include digital figures that Nintendo includes in their financial reports?

They always report shipped + digital and considering that their next report will only be their latest figures as of March 31st, it may or may not already crack 4 million with just 11 days on the market.
It's probably already passed 5 million by this point depending on how much they've already shipped and how high its digital rate is. In fact, I would even bet money on it.

curl-6 said:

Looking at the top selling games in Japan it looks like there is a very real chance New Horizons could challenge for the #1 spot.

#2 seems to be a safe bet, with only Pokemon R/G/B presenting a difficult reach.

Only when you combine all that together. Pokémon RG sold roughly 8.2mil and ACNH will surpass that.

by end of June the game should be either 2nd or 3rd highest lifetime (ship+digital)