By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Animal Crossing: New Horizons 5 Million Digital in March - Single Month Record for any game

newwil7l said:

Mario Kart 8 is in danger. This will have a 13m launch month making it the fastest selling Switch game by far. Who would have ever guessed that Animal Crossing would have been the biggest killer app for the Switch over Smash or Pokémon.

It is surprising, but honestly, I am kind of glad. Pokemon was seriously mishandled at launch...

5 million digital-only sales.... the Switch is growing at an impressive rate. Man, I love it when people propagate their "system agnostic" world view, and then don't understand why that's not happening anytime soon. AC is one of the reason

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

wow that is so amazing, and well deserved!!! this game is my short-term dream at the moment, damn Switch shortages

but how the heck did a cute game become so popular out of the blue, was it great marketing or word of mouth? I guess the grandma playing the game on youtube helped too!

it's a game with legs as far as I remember, people play it for a long time, so sales will keep going, thing now is how far can it go

Last edited by dark_gh0st_b0y - on 23 April 2020

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Well goddamn.
I'll gladly admit I was one of the ones who underestimated it before launch.
Predicted 6,3 mil shipped for the quarterly report... At this point I think it'll be very close to doubling that.

Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned

2021 predictions:

• Switch - 27m
  • PS5 - 15.5m
  • Xbox Series - 10m

As much as I want to celebrate such hypothetical numbers.
I ain't gonna put much trust into a 3rd party analyst firm. Especially SuperData.

I'll just wait on Nintendo official word on the matter

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

dark_gh0st_b0y said:

wow that is so amazing, and well deserved!!! this game is my short-term dream at the moment, damn Switch shortages

but how the heck did a cute game become so popular out of the blue, was it great marketing or word of mouth? I guess the grandma playing the game on youtube helped too!

it's a game with legs as far as I remember, people play it for a long time, so sales will keep going, thing now is how far can it go

It was already big, but made even bigger by social media.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
forest-spirit said:
Is SuperData actually any good?

They are the industry leader in the digital reporting field. The closest thing to a digital NPD.

I guess we'll be able to see how close they were pretty soon when Nintendo release its quarterly report.

Signature goes here!

Any game ever...? Including multiplats? Christ. Nintendo is something else this gen with their software sales.

SuperData is not reliable at all and anyone folowing sales data for videogames knows 5 million is highly unlikely to be the all time record.

COD sells like 6-8 million in the US alone.

src said:
SuperData is not reliable at all and anyone folowing sales data for videogames knows 5 million is highly unlikely to be the all time record.

Not to discredit you entirely but you're being very vague with your statements. You say 5 million is highly unlikely but then claim Call of Duty sells better, then you throw an approximate estimate of 6-8 million, which isn't clear at all, and then you don't cite in which period does Call of Duty make those numbers. 

src said:

Yeah and that 6-8 million includes digital. Sounds like you are brushing off the data because you don't like the results of a life sim beating massive multiplats.