By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Animal Crossing: New Horizons 5 Million Digital in March - Single Month Record for any game

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it; I'm about to lose control and I think I like it!!

Around the Network

5 million for a nintendo game, is this the sign digital is popping off for nintendo
nice

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Mario Kart 8 is in danger. This will have a 13m launch month making it the fastest selling Switch game by far. Who would have ever guessed that Animal Crossing would have been the biggest killer app for the Switch over Smash or Pokémon.

Last edited by newwil7l - on 22 April 2020

newwil7l said:
Mario Kart 8 is in danger. This will have a 13m launch month making it the fastest selling Switch game by far. Who would have ever guessed that Anima Crossing would have been the biggest killer app for the Switch over Smash or Pokémon.

blue ocean,  its going to be wii all over again 4.1 million switches sold each month

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

5 Million Digital in March is insane. If we were to apply Nintendo's percentages of digital and physical purchases last quarter where 71% of Nintendo games were purchased physically and 29% were purchased. Than the total sales of Animal Crossing in 10 Days would be 17 MILLION! That borderline would surpass Super Mario Odyssey,Zelda,Pokemon,Smash, while threatening Mario Kart in sales.

-However, it's good to point out that the digital sales were likely inflated by the quarantine, but I still heavily doubt the digital sales accounted for more than 50% of it's total sales since people do still love physical copies and the spike in Switch sales due to Animal Crossing proves that people are still willing to go to retail stores to purchase video games. So it seems very likely that total Animal Crossing sales just in March are between 11-17 Million, which is unprecedented by any exclusive game I know of to sell that amount in 10 days in history, that would beat out Smash,Pokemon,Mario, Zelda and even those outside of Nintendo like Halo 3 & reach which all had huge launches. This is insane.

Around the Network

I am very anxiously awaiting Nintendo's official report. All indications show it is going to be one for the record books.

Is SuperData actually any good?

so thats at least 8 million that we know of then right? 5 million digital, plus 3 million physical in japan.

1doesnotsimply

It's sort of the perfect storm as it's probably the best iteration of Animal Crossing, there aren't many other prominent releases around this time, and it's a nice compliment to the quarantine. It's quite funny to see 70% of my friends on Switch online all playing the game at once, some of them putting dozens of hours into it. Somehow it's got that oddly addictive appeal to it even though it's a pretty chill and passive game..

Me and like 5 other friends and their bfs/gfs just had an "Animal Crossing party" where we exchanged silly random gifts and did some island hopping. XD 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

FarleyMcFirefly said:
so thats at least 8 million that we know of then right? 5 million digital, plus 3 million physical in japan.

Yeah, plus physical in other regions (probably another 3 millions).

34 years playing games.