By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Animal Crossing: New Horizons 5 Million Digital in March - Single Month Record for any game

StarDoor said:
src said:

You guys continue to miss the point.

COD sells 6-9 million a month in US alone. The new COD had a great launch ($600M in 3 days vs BO2 $500M in 1 day), so its figures are expected to be close to 7.5 million (physical and digital) of BO2 (physical only).

Considering digital on PS4 is around 40%

That's 5 million digital in US alone. AC is not even in the same league to launches like COD, GTA or RDR2 (prob FIFA as well).

RDR2 shipped 17 million in 2 weeks. 23 million 2 months later.

You guys are a classic case of confirmation bias. Your desire for an outcome has led to you missing all the caveats.

To further drive home how inaccurate SuperData is:

https://gamingbolt.com/dragon-ball-z-kakarot-sold-1-6-million-digital-copies-in-january

Digital estimate of DBZ 1.5 million+ in launch month.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/359366/Dragon_Ball_Z_Kakarot_passes_2_million_sold.php

Reality:  NB announces 2 million shipped + digital in 2 months.

You're completely missing the point. This has nothing to do with how inaccurate Superdata is. Your blatantly false data and incoherent narrative are the problems.

https://investor.activision.com/news-releases/news-release-details/call-duty-modern-warfare-delivers-blockbuster-opening-weekend

"SANTA MONICA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 30, 2019-- Activision’s Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® had more than $600 million in sell-through worldwide in its first three days of release."

$600 million worldwide. An approximate 10 million units worldwide. Not just the US.

And you should really check your math. To get 5 million in digital sales with a 40% digital rate, you'd have to have total sales of 12.5 million. Not 7.5 million.

AC sold 2.6 million physically in Japan. In the US, it sold enough physical copies in March to become the best-selling game in the franchise, so that's another 2.3 million at minimum. Add in the rest of the world, in which AC usually sells substantially more than it does in the US, and we're already above 7.5 million physical. With just a 25% digital rate, its worldwide sell-through exceeds 10 million in March.

You can be in denial all you want. It doesn't change the fact that New Horizons had a launch month that rivals Modern Warfare.

Superdata at least has a slim chance of being right. You don't.

Ahh yes I did a math error. Should be 3 million US digital alone. Still more than enough to handily beat AC WW.Not sure why you reiterate worldwide for revenue, that's known.

AC did less than 2 million physical in the US. This does not come close to COD 6-9 million US launches even with a 50% digital ratio.

Funny how you completely ignore how inaccurate Superdata's digital tracking was with DBZ but makes sense.

Like I said, confirmation bias.

Around the Network
src said:
StarDoor said:

You're completely missing the point. This has nothing to do with how inaccurate Superdata is. Your blatantly false data and incoherent narrative are the problems.

https://investor.activision.com/news-releases/news-release-details/call-duty-modern-warfare-delivers-blockbuster-opening-weekend

"SANTA MONICA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 30, 2019-- Activision’s Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® had more than $600 million in sell-through worldwide in its first three days of release."

$600 million worldwide. An approximate 10 million units worldwide. Not just the US.

And you should really check your math. To get 5 million in digital sales with a 40% digital rate, you'd have to have total sales of 12.5 million. Not 7.5 million.

AC sold 2.6 million physically in Japan. In the US, it sold enough physical copies in March to become the best-selling game in the franchise, so that's another 2.3 million at minimum. Add in the rest of the world, in which AC usually sells substantially more than it does in the US, and we're already above 7.5 million physical. With just a 25% digital rate, its worldwide sell-through exceeds 10 million in March.

You can be in denial all you want. It doesn't change the fact that New Horizons had a launch month that rivals Modern Warfare.

Superdata at least has a slim chance of being right. You don't.

Ahh yes I did a math error. Should be 3 million US digital alone. Still more than enough to handily beat AC WW.Not sure why you reiterate worldwide for revenue, that's known.

AC did less than 2 million physical in the US. This does not come close to COD 6-9 million US launches even with a 50% digital ratio.

Funny how you completely ignore how inaccurate Superdata's digital tracking was with DBZ but makes sense.

In US, there is a chance for COD. But in Asia and Japan, AC blows COD out of water like nothing, so your point???

HoangNhatAnh said:
src said:

In US, there is a chance for COD. But in Asia and Japan, AC blows COD out of water like nothing, so your point???

COD's US launch alone is nearly bigger than AC's WW launch lmao

src said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

COD launch digital sales number? And it's leg too???

HoangNhatAnh said:
src said:

just wait till AC drops off that cliff yo

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
Regardless if this is true or not, Animal Crossing New Horizons is having a phenomenal run. Even against stiff competition among the likes of Doom Eternal, FFVII Remake, and Persona 5 Royal, Animal Crossing is able to reach audiences that very few games can even fathom, especially women. The social interaction online has allowed the game to be something incredible. Not bad for a simple life simulator game.

In terms of sales and the overall reception: AC > Doom+FF+ P5R combined. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

kirby007 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

just wait till AC drops off that cliff yo

But, but it would take years to happen for this.

I think Animal Crossing easily had 5M digital sales in its first month. Not sure if that's the best result ever but its probably up there.

kirby007 said:
5 million for a nintendo game, is this the sign digital is popping off for nintendo
nice

I think it's more about the fact that the pandemic has made digital the go-to for a lot of people who can't go to their local stores to pick up (non-essential) games.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

With the recent sales update, the Switch now has:

The highest-selling Animal Crossing (After like, a month?)
The highest-selling 3D mario
The Highest-selling Smash Bros
The Highest-Selling Zelda game
The highest-Selling Mario Party game
The highest-Selling Splatoon, Mario Maker, and Luigi's Mansion games
the Second-Highest selling Mario Kart
the fourth-highest selling pokemon (And that will likely go up before the end of this console generation to third or maybe even second)

so yeah, Switch is doing very well. Sadly, no uber-sellers like Wii Sports or Wii Play or Wii Fit, but outside of those outliers, the Switch MIGHT prove to be Nintendo's most successful console! and with hits like Animal Crossing doing so well (and Smash and Zelda also vastly outperforming previous franchise sales record holders), I can definitely say the Switch is one of my top three favourite consoles.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android