By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Report: Nintendo has told suppliers to expect an increase of at least 10% in Switch console production for 2020.

cycycychris said:
xMetroid said:
I'm sure they can sell more than that tbh. I find the 50% upgrade for April-Jun more impressive.

From the way the article reads, it seems Nintendo has only for now increased there production projections for the April-June time period and not yet for the rest of the quarters this year. So Nintendo expects to produce 2 million more Switches during April and June than once projected at the beginning of the year. Which likely means they need 50% more parts than originally expected during this time period.

Right, so it probably means that if the demand doesn't slow too much they could keep the production up for like 20-30% for the rest of the year and finish with even more. They are really last minute into changing their projections with the Switch and really keep it lowballing. 20-21 sell through is the floor for this year.

I mean it is safe to say it will be it's peak now.

Around the Network

Hopefully there are more Animal Crossings Switch's in that increase. But needs to be at least 20% more.

garretslarrity said:
hunter_alien said:

Globally in the US?

That joke's still going around?

As an old fart, it's still frsh in my mind

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I haven't been following sales this year.

Is Covid-19 going to put a dent on projected Switch sales, if it hasn't already?

PotentHerbs said:
I haven't been following sales this year.

Is Covid-19 going to put a dent on projected Switch sales, if it hasn't already?

Covid has been helping switch sales so far this year. But have potentially (likely) slowed down production of the Switch. Which those 2 factors are now creating shortages. If Nintendo can make the consoles, Covid will improve the sales of the switch. People have a lot of free time right now and are using it to buy switches.

Check out my lastest games review: Fast RMX and  Snipperclips: Cut it out Together

Around the Network

After the Wii Blue Ocean, we now got the Switch COVID Ocean.

They sure like to find their new audience in unexpected ways huh ?

(Jk)

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

I feel like Covid isn't helping switch as much as people here think. I mean it's affecting their shipping for one and their production which might be why for now they're only increasing it by so much. But this thing is gonna last for a while and is negatively affecting the switch as well like PS4 never would've had the number 1 position like it did in the week ending April 11th without the Covid situation, I just want the switch to sell as much as possible so if it ends up way over performing like 25mik+, I'll be very happy, I genuinely believe switch will end up selling better than PS4 when all is said and done but not as well as PS2 or NDS. Somewhere in between PS4 and PS2 most likely. I also want the PS5 and XseX to sell bonkers because 7 want the gaming industry to thrive. We'll see what happens though

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

10% ain't gonna be enough to meet demand, but if they can actually pull off a 10% increase in shipments in the middle of a category 5 pandemic that would be an impressive feat in itself.
My guess is they probably won't be able to hit 10% due to ongoing quarantines and manufacturing disruptions.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 April 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

10% ain't gonna be enough to meet demand, but if they can actually pull off a 10% increase in shipments in the middle of a category 5 pandemic that would be an impressive feat in itself.
My guess is they probably won't be able to hit 10% due to ongoing quarantines and manufacturing disruptions.

I don't see how a 10% increase would be a problem. Corona isn't going to dominate the news cycle for this entire year and countries will take the necessary measures to make their economies work, so goods will be produced in the required numbers after the interruption during the early months of this year.

This is comparable to the 2017 shortages when the news made the rounds that certain parts are in short supply and Nintendo has to compete with the likes of Apple to get to them. At that time we had people worried if Nintendo could even reach their projected 10m figure for the fiscal year, but in the end Nintendo managed to ship 15m.

Also, your views change pretty fast. A few weeks ago you couldn't believe that Switch was going to sell more in 2020 than in 2019 due to lack of demand, now you are thinking that a 10% increase in production over last year won't be enough to meet this year's demand. I suppose that's just your perpetual Nintendo pessimism.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

You guys are not taking into account the fact that the COVID-19 is gonna have a huge impact in the economy of many countries. The IMF (International Monetary Fund) forsees consequences of a magnitude not seen since the last international crisis (the great recession of the late 2000s). In fact, it could easily be even worse than that. Some people are claiming it will be similar to the 1929 crash (although that seems a little far fetched to me...). Many people are gonna lose their jobs, prices of necessary goods are gonna increase and in general, people will have less money to spend in unnecesary things like videogames.

Now the Switch (and the videogame market in general) is doing great because the consequences are still to be felt and being always at home, entertainment products are in a rise. But when everything is set and done... I think sales are gonna take a noticeable hit.