By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How The Switch 2 Could Do 4K@120fps

DonFerrari said:
It could do it with streaming, but even like that it wouldn't be really do it since most places wouldn't have internet for it.
On HW basically impossible outside of indie games with simple graphics, even XSX or very powerfull PC will struggle with most games at 4k120fps.

Nvidia DLSS doesn't require the internet. It can be done in hardware. 

As for the thread, for a Switch 2, DLSS 2.0/3.0 would absolutely be a huge game changer. Switch 2 could render at native resolutions even significantly lower than the current Switch has to and achieve an end image quality comparable or even better than 900p-1080p undocked and 1800p-full 4K docked. 

If effectively reduces the number of pixels the Switch 2 has to render by 1/4th, and who knows with DLSS 3.0 eventually that could get even better. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
DonFerrari said:
It could do it with streaming, but even like that it wouldn't be really do it since most places wouldn't have internet for it.
On HW basically impossible outside of indie games with simple graphics, even XSX or very powerfull PC will struggle with most games at 4k120fps.

Nvidia DLSS doesn't require the internet. It can be done in hardware. 

As for the thread, for a Switch 2, DLSS 2.0/3.0 would absolutely be a huge game changer. Switch 2 could render at native resolutions even significantly lower than the current Switch has to and achieve an end image quality comparable or even better than 900p-1080p undocked and 1800p-full 4K docked. 

If effectively reduces the number of pixels the Switch 2 has to render by 1/4th, and who knows with DLSS 3.0 eventually that could get even better. 

I would have no problem in believing a Switch 2 being able of 1080p30fps or even 60fps for some titles. But 4k120fps and you question me over OP? Not even PCs will do it for demanding games in the next couple years but he expect Switch2 to do it, yes sure.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

padib said:
Pemalite said:
Let's actually have a Nintendo console achieve 1080P/60fps consistently first before we start drooling over 4k/120fps.

Tegra Orin should be able to beat the Playstation 4 hands down and that should release next year and be cheap/mature enough for a 2023 console inclusion for Nintendo.

The video showed that you can offer 1080P/60fps with internal 540p resolution. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWIKzRhYZm4

To get 60fps, it is virtually there with some dips. The author of the video mentioned that by turning of one or two ray tracing options it could be better achieved.

So in theory, Nintendo Switch would already easily hit it using DLSS 2.0.

Quite a fantastic technology actually.

Its gonna be a thing next gen.

Microsoft has something called "DirectML" (machine learning (works for amd,intel,nvidia cards)) which is basically their own version of DLSS.
Its gonna be in the next Series X console, thats why they talked about FP16 performance for machine learning.

AMD also has a technique for it (forget what its called)... and I wouldnt be surprised if Sony has some methode to use machine learning to do SS as well.

Its def. a better way, than useing say Checkerboard rendering.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 13 April 2020

Even it were plausible 10do wouldn't do it. 10do gotta 10do u know?

DLSS 2.0 is definitely Nintendo style tech, so they would almost certainly want this incorporated into a custom SoC for Switch 2... In a couple more years I'm sure 3.0 will be available and even more advanced than 2.0.

Around the Network

Even if its technically possible, why would you want that? I recently bought a Gsync monitor and I can barely tell the difference between 60 and 120fps, while I had to use the lowest graphics settings to hit that 120fps.

I really don't care that much about graphics but come on...

I don't want more pixels on my screen, if you increase the processing power give me more polygons, more shaders, more particle effects, more entities, better AI, better physics, better lighting etc.

The amount of pixels are fairly low on my wish list at least.

No way 120fps at 4k rez. Just not gonna happen on a Switch 2.
But who really cares? I mean I'm sure by then a lot of people will want 4k resolutions, so I could see 4k docked being a major goal for the Switch 2. 120fps who cares? No absolutely games like Mario Kart, etc do not need 120fps. If undocked all games run at 1080p and 60fps that'd be perfect. If docked some games run at 4k/60fps that'd be cool. Though honestly I'd rather have 60fps and more stuff on screen than 4k resolutions.

I doubt that Nvidia will invest in mobile GPUs at this point. The Tegra never really caught on in mobile: the Switch is basically the only customer for it.

Nintendo will need to find another vendor for the next Switch (of which there are plenty in the mobile space).

OneTime said:
I doubt that Nvidia will invest in mobile GPUs at this point. The Tegra never really caught on in mobile: the Switch is basically the only customer for it.

Nintendo will need to find another vendor for the next Switch (of which there are plenty in the mobile space).

Nvidia said they will be working with Nintendo for the next 20 years. So no they will be around for Switch 2 even if a custom SOC which is likely the case. You also want to keep OG Switch games fully BC.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!