By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How The Switch 2 Could Do 4K@120fps

Well i think it will be 1080p in handheld and maybe upscaled 4K in console mode to be close to a PS4 pro. I mean they can see people will buy the Switch at a high price so maybe they can make it 50$ more for the next one if they want to boost it a little and put it into specs so it gets a bit more third party support since we know now it is working well with Nintendo.

It will depend, if they make a Switch pro and really milk it, the console still has no price cut so it can really live atleast 3 more years imo.

Around the Network
SammyGiireal said:
I think we will get PS4 Pro like specs on the next Switch if we are lucky...4k at 120 on a portable? Maybe in 2028-30. We don't even know if the PS5 will run graphically intense games at that framerate at 4k.

Why would you even want 4k in portable mode (unless you cram a 30” display into your pocket/backpack)?

Fragenstein said:
Even if its technically possible, why would you want that? I recently bought a Gsync monitor and I can barely tell the difference between 60 and 120fps, while I had to use the lowest graphics settings to hit that 120fps.

At this point in time and even more by the time the Switch' successor comes, it will be smarter to bet on a chip and display that are capable of VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) like the XBsX and PS5. No more 30, 60 or 120fps, just constant smooth gameplay.

OneTime said:
I doubt that Nvidia will invest in mobile GPUs at this point. The Tegra never really caught on in mobile: the Switch is basically the only customer for it.

Nintendo will need to find another vendor for the next Switch (of which there are plenty in the mobile space).

Nvidia is still interested on mobile GPUs, and this article from last week proves it: https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-mx-400-turing-notebook-gpus-tackle-intel-xe-dg1-and-amd-vega-igpus/

As for going with another partner, it is possible but not likely. As MSoft with the first Xbox and Sony with the PS3 learned, it's easier to deal with only one provider rather than with two. Not only that, but this also has other benefits like tayloring both the CPU and GPU to minimize bottlenecks.

Because of that, and because AMD has no experience with ARM processors and their GPUs still use more power than Nvidia's, is why I think Nintendo will go with Nvidia once again for their next machine.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Leynos said:
OneTime said:

If Nvidia don't produce a decent chip, I can guarantee that Nintendo will go elsewhere.  Potentially there may be an Nvidia laptop chip they can switch to, but that wouldn't be a direct Tegra replacement either.  

Mobile chips are mostly compatible with each other (it's all just Vulkan toolkit, there isn't really an Nvidia-only toolset these days).  Nintendo could look to Samsung or maybe a custom ARM Mali GPU - those guys have the mass market to do R&D.  Nvidia never built a marketshare in that space - I always assumed that they just gave Nintendo a good deal to cut their losses on Tegra...

You know successor systems are worked on not long after a system launches right? Now that Switch is mid life. Likely already working with Nvidia on the next chip. Doesn't have to be tegra. Tegra is done. What they will very likely do and are working on right now is a custom chip and the next version of NVN api.

No it doesn't have to be Tegra, but by extension it then doesn't have to be Nvidia either.  I just don't see that Nvidia are putting in significant R&D for that type of chip (compare AMD who basically live to build both the Xbox and PS).  Maybe there will be a minor upgrade to a Tegra++ or something.

If Nintendo are relying on Nvidia, they have backed the wrong horse.  Well... unless the next Switch uses a desktop Nvidia GPU :)

JEMC said:

At this point in time and even more by the time the Switch' successor comes, it will be smarter to bet on a chip and display that are capable of VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) like the XBsX and PS5. No more 30, 60 or 120fps, just constant smooth gameplay.

OneTime said:
I doubt that Nvidia will invest in mobile GPUs at this point. The Tegra never really caught on in mobile: the Switch is basically the only customer for it.

Nintendo will need to find another vendor for the next Switch (of which there are plenty in the mobile space).

Nvidia is still interested on mobile GPUs, and this article from last week proves it: https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-mx-400-turing-notebook-gpus-tackle-intel-xe-dg1-and-amd-vega-igpus/

That's a laptop GPU, not mobile.  It even says that it competes with Intel and AMD.  Tegra was Nvidia's failed attempt to take on Apple and Samsung phones.  It was a great chip, though...

Around the Network
OneTime said:
JEMC said:

That's a laptop GPU, not mobile.  It even says that it competes with Intel and AMD.  Tegra was Nvidia's failed attempt to take on Apple and Samsung phones.  It was a great chip, though...

True, but there's what, one only company capable of making mobile GPUs poweful enough? By the way, that's the kind of low end chip that can go in a handheld/hybrid console like the Switch successor.

And yes, Tegra when it comes to the mobile market has been a failure, but Nvidia has found another market for it with self driving vehicles and AI. Not ideal for a console, mind you, as they focus on computing and the CPU side of it, but it's a template that they can use to make a design that works for Nintendo.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

True, but there's what, one only company capable of making mobile GPUs poweful enough? By the way, that's the kind of low end chip that can go in a handheld/hybrid console like the Switch successor.

And yes, Tegra when it comes to the mobile market has been a failure, but Nvidia has found another market for it with self driving vehicles and AI. Not ideal for a console, mind you, as they focus on computing and the CPU side of it, but it's a template that they can use to make a design that works for Nintendo.

Maybe... but I'd far rather see Nintendo be a cutting edge ARM Mali customer than some using left over bits of Nvidia's afterthoughts.  Maybe they can magic up a custom Nvidia laptop chip that does Tegra backwards compatibility?

I can see 4k with DLSS. I can't see 4k 120fps. A lot of the AAA games on the switch right now are running lower than PC low graphical settings... So while the switch can play them, unless it's the only gaming device a person has or wants to play their games on the go, playing it on other platforms is a much better choice. We will see how next gen goes if XSS is a thing and how Nvidia's hardware improvements come into play.

I think third parties will use DLSS to try and allow the graphics to be closer to the next gen consoles rather than giving the player a high fps or even high resolution. My biggest concern would be the cpu since zen cores are no joke.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Pemalite said:
Let's actually have a Nintendo console achieve 1080P/60fps consistently first before we start drooling over 4k/120fps.

Tegra Orin should be able to beat the Playstation 4 hands down and that should release next year and be cheap/mature enough for a 2023 console inclusion for Nintendo.

Orin is rated for a TDP of 65W, that's way too much for a handheld format like the Switch. Also, it's heavily axed towards Deep Learning and AI, too much for it's performance to not become squandered or very hard to tap on (similar to the Cell in the PS3). I'd be more expecting a new Tegra chip with more consumer-related hardware, which NVidia probably wants to develop anyway for it's Shield line of products, which uses the same chips as the Switch does.

In other words, I'm more expecting something with 4-8 Tegra cores (Carmel or Hercules) and 384-512 Cuda Cores (Turing or next-gen) and a 128bit bus of 8-16GB LPDDR4X or LPDDR5 without too many bells or whistles, as they currently are too taxing for a handheld format, even in 7 or 5nm. And that should be enough to get PS4-like performance from a handheld anyway

OneTime said:

JEMC said:

Maybe... but I'd far rather see Nintendo be a cutting edge ARM Mali customer than some using left over bits of Nvidia's afterthoughts.  Maybe they can magic up a custom Nvidia laptop chip that does Tegra backwards compatibility?

Nintendo is known for sticking with its hardware partners as long as possible (their jump to Nvidia was quite a surprise for a lot of people). Therefore, I actually believe that Nvidia's quote about partnering with Nintendo for 20 years isn't based on nothing and, while Nvidia can provide them with the right tools, Nintendo will keep using their products.

The best case scenario I can think of right now is one like what Boffer described, a Switch 2 using 8 Carmel cores with up to 512 GPU cores, at least Turing to be able to use DLS and VRR, and 8GB connected via a 128bit bus.