Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How The Switch 2 Could Do 4K@120fps

I doubt that Nvidia will invest in mobile GPUs at this point. The Tegra never really caught on in mobile: the Switch is basically the only customer for it.

Nintendo will need to find another vendor for the next Switch (of which there are plenty in the mobile space).

Around the Network
OneTime said:
I doubt that Nvidia will invest in mobile GPUs at this point. The Tegra never really caught on in mobile: the Switch is basically the only customer for it.

Nintendo will need to find another vendor for the next Switch (of which there are plenty in the mobile space).

Nvidia said they will be working with Nintendo for the next 20 years. So no they will be around for Switch 2 even if a custom SOC which is likely the case. You also want to keep OG Switch games fully BC.

Bite my shiny metal Cockpit!

Who cares about 120fps? That seems like a waste of resources to me.

Signature goes here!

Spindel said:
I really don't care that much about graphics but come on...

I don't want more pixels on my screen, if you increase the processing power give me more polygons, more shaders, more particle effects, more entities, better AI, better physics, better lighting etc.

The amount of pixels are fairly low on my wish list at least.

The great thing about the tech is it can help you get all that too. Say a developer wants their game to run at 1080p and instead focus on all that stuff you mentioned, they would only need to run the game internally at 540p (or maybe even less by then!) and then would have so much more resources for those effects.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

Leynos said:
OneTime said:

Nvidia said they will be working with Nintendo for the next 20 years. So no they will be around for Switch 2 even if a custom SOC which is likely the case. You also want to keep OG Switch games fully BC.

Well I believe that was Huang's hope/expectation. I think it's likely but would caution against treating it as a certainty.

Around the Network

I think we will get PS4 Pro like specs on the next Switch if we are lucky...4k at 120 on a portable? Maybe in 2028-30. We don't even know if the PS5 will run graphically intense games at that framerate at 4k.

Fragenstein said:
Even if its technically possible, why would you want that? I recently bought a Gsync monitor and I can barely tell the difference between 60 and 120fps, while I had to use the lowest graphics settings to hit that 120fps.

Everyone's different, but personally I see a huge difference between the two. Of course it also depends on the game. It would be great to see it for Smash and Kart, but I would have a really confused look on my face if they made an Animal Crossing game in 120fps.

And we haven't even talked about variable refresh rate yet. I probably should have brought this up in the OP since it's even more likely to be in the Switch 2 thanks to it being built in to HDMI 2.1, but with variable refresh rate a developer doesn't even need to make the choice between 60 and 120. They can target somewhere in between, or not even target anything. Again that choice will depend on the game, but especially when paired with VRR it would be silly to not at least support higher refresh rates.

SammyGiireal said:
I think we will get PS4 Pro like specs on the next Switch if we are lucky...4k at 120 on a portable? Maybe in 2028-30. We don't even know if the PS5 will run graphically intense games at that framerate at 4k.

But even a "PS4 Pro" spec level Switch 2 would end up being much more powerful than a PS4 Pro, being a modern Nvidia chip on a newer node. I know we put a lot of this stuff out here for just comparison sake, but going by just numbers a Switch 2 would run circles around PS4 Pro if its the targeted metric.

Ck1x said:
SammyGiireal said:

But even a "PS4 Pro" spec level Switch 2 would end up being much more powerful than a PS4 Pro, being a modern Nvidia chip on a newer node. I know we put a lot of this stuff out here for just comparison sake, but going by just numbers a Switch 2 would run circles around PS4 Pro if its the targeted metric.

Well even the current Switch has churned out "impossible ports" if we go on paper stats alone. However 4k at 120 fps that is something that isn't happening until the Switch 3 if at all. I expect the PS5 to do a decent job of 4k at 60, 120 would be far fetched for that console  (which is astronomically more powerful than a switch successor in 2022). I do agree that if the specs reach PS4 Pro levels ( if we are lucky) the system will probably be running downgraded ports of PS5 and X series games. Games thought impossible on the PS4 Pro.

garretslarrity said:
Leynos said:

Well I believe that was Huang's hope/expectation. I think it's likely but would caution against treating it as a certainty.

Nintendo basically stuck with ATI/AMD for close to that long. Nintendo is not stupid enough to build the tools with Nvidia to support Switch to suddenly start over with someone else.

Bite my shiny metal Cockpit!