By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Water Effects in a Video game

Tagged games:

mgs3, then resistance 2 effects blew me away, then uncharted 3, now it's kind of a tie between uncharted 4,rdr2 and death stranding.

Around the Network

Lately I was very impressed with the water in Assassin's Creed Origins for how realistic it looked and behaved.

I remember the first time I played Mario Sunshine I couldn't imagine water effects getting better than that. Obviously they did,. I was also really impressed at the time by the water in the one tropical level in Rogue Leader and the way the AT-ATs were reflected in it. There's something I still find appealing about high-end water effects from the 6th gen even if they no longer look so realistic.

7th gen Bioshock was the game that really blew me away with its water effects. But after that I stopped being so impressed with water in games.

Current gen: of the games I've played the best water effects are probably from The Witcher 3. But I'm sure there have been others with better water since then.

Waverace. Even though it's not the best any more. It was the biggest leap. At least that I can recall.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

h2ohno said:
 There's something I still find appealing about high-end water effects from the 6th gen even if they no longer look so realistic.

Yeah I feel the same way, and by extension water effects on the Wii as well, which use the same TEV hardware as the Gamecube.

Water in games like Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 or Jett Rocket had a real charm to it.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 05 April 2020

Around the Network

For 2002 standards, the water in Super Mario Sunshine was amazing. It still looks fine today. I'm sure I've played Switch and PS4 games with better water, but they don't have the wow factor of SMS.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

double post

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 05 April 2020

Over the years, there were a few times where my mind was blown:
-Wave Race 64
-Crash Bandicoot 3
-Wavev Race Blue Storm
-Metal Gear Solid 2
-Super Mario Sunshine
-Grand Theft Auto V
-Sea of Thieves

Generally, the later on the list, the better with SoT being the best I've ever seen.

*Edit* Some people named some awesome ones that I forgot like Hydrophobia and Uncharted 3/4. Let me mention Astrobot Rescue Mission. You have to experience this to believe it. It'll have you literally holding your breath!!

COKTOE said:
Waverace. Even though it's not the best any more. It was the biggest leap. At least that I can recall.

Wave Race 64 was a massive leap. I recall it being the first game to implement Waves which seeing on the N64 was definitely mind blowing. We never saw anything like it.

To be quite honest, GTAV has the greatest water in ANY video game I have ever seen. I have never been so impressed with water since I first laid my eyes on Wave Race 64 back in the day.
I REALLY wished the water in God of War looked like it did in GTAV. It looked nice still but it just felt slightly fake in a way.