By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Water Effects in a Video game

Tagged games:

Easily From Dust. Has any other game actually tried to simulate water volume? I spend hours building up dunes then washing them away again, letting reservoirs fill with water then watch the dam burst.

Spin tires does very well with flowing water pushing your truck around and mud deformation when you struggle through muddy roads and puddles.

As for just looks, Uncharted had some good water effects, waves and flowing water. Drive club looks amazing in the rain. Death stranding looks very good in the rain and the water lapping up on the beach looks very good as well. Plus it has many flowing creeks.

Around the Network

As someone whose most powerful gaming device is a Switch, I'm obviously not on the cutting edge of water rendering, but here are some games where the water effects impressed me when I played them or for their hardware:

Resident Evil 4, Halo 3, Starfox Adventures, Mario Sunshine, Uncharted 1/2/3, Witcher 3, Mario Odyssey, Donkey Kong Country 3, Pikmin 3

you all haven't mentioned the correct answer : the wind waker

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Wave Race N64. Then Mario Sunshine and Wave Race on Gamecube. Then Starfox Adventures. Last 3 games I didn't like but the water effects were amazing.

Lately, I don't know. Most games look pretty good now .

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

CGI-Quality said:

Easily Metro: Exodus for me.

Between the weather and lake/river portions, the reaction to bullets, humans, and animals (all different types of ripples, mind you), there's no game that does it better.

Still the only game of this generation or indeed the last ten years to really blow my socks off graphically.

4A really know their stuff. My brother picked up Metro Redux for the Switch and the included port of Last Light is easily one of the best looking games on the system.

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 04 April 2020

Around the Network

green_sky said:

glad I wasn't the only one.

Empire Total War.

A strategy game obviously so you see it from further away and don’t really interact with it in the way you do with most games mentioned above, but I was really impressed by the ship-to-ship battles at the time. They’re in fact still pretty awesome actually.

Hydrophobia was well ahead of its time. I enjoyed every second with the primitive but realistic fluid dynamics. It was the very first game where water actually felt like water. Haven't seen a game like that since.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

TES Morrowind. Perfect simulation of Flint water supply

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 04 April 2020