Xbox 1 0.83%

Gamecube 5 4.17%

Vita 13 10.83%

Wii U 53 44.17%

Saturn 4 3.33%

Dreamcast 18 15.00%

Other 26 21.67%

Total:120

Out of the 14 consoles I own, the PSTV/Sega Dreamcast are the lowest sellers. Depending on if the PSTV counts as it own console, and not a Vita. I couldn't pass it up for 20 dollars, though, wtf. Sony was doing a flash sale on that thing on their website to get rid of them, lol.

Around the Network

Atari Lynx - which I loved, and still adore.

Nokia N-Gage - embarrassing to admit.

This thread was a fun trip down memory lane, and being able to read what others have shared. :) ~thx

Immersiveunreality said:
trunkswd said:
Dreamcast. It was an underrated console that died an early death due to the hype for the PS2.

Mostly due to very poor marketing,most did not even know it existed.

Well, Sega did sell out it's early stock very fast. After that, they were in a very tough position: The Dreamcast was sold at a loss while the company was already bleeding money from the collapsing arcade market. They couldn't increase the price anymore at that time to break even. They couldn't afford to advertise for their console or, more importantly for them at that point since they were losing money on the console, their games. They couldn't afford to lower the price to bring the fight back to Sony. All they could do was wait, hope and pray for the production costs for the console to drop so they wouldn't be sold at a loss anymore and that the collapse of the arcade market would stop. But neither happened, and so they had to pull the plug on their console to survive as a publisher.

Immersiveunreality said:
trunkswd said:
Dreamcast. It was an underrated console that died an early death due to the hype for the PS2.

In the U.S., it was HEAVILY marketed. To this day, 9•9•99 is synonymous with "It's thinking" (for me at least). Print and TV ads were rampant, at least. At the time, the launch was reported to be the biggest single day ever In terms of entertainment revenue. Beat out any movie, sporting event, album sale, etc. up to that point.

And I wasn't even a Sega fan at all. I only got a Dreamcast because the PS2 was always sold out and I got tired of coming home with nothing.

I still rock my unpopular Wii U and am constantly harassed as to why I won't invest in the Switch. When the Dreamcast came out, me and the boys were considering it but the internet pricing thing was confusing and no one wants to pay more to play a game online they already own.... or do they?

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Around the Network

An Atari 8-bit and a TI-99/4A. The sales numbers those machines put out made the Saturn look like a raging success. They weren't even particularly successful by the standards of their time, let alone now. Otherwise, the Saturn is the lowest selling mainstream system I own.

d21lewis said:
Immersiveunreality said:

In the U.S., it was HEAVILY marketed. To this day, 9•9•99 is synonymous with "It's thinking" (for me at least). Print and TV ads were rampant, at least. At the time, the launch was reported to be the biggest single day ever In terms of entertainment revenue. Beat out any movie, sporting event, album sale, etc. up to that point.

And I wasn't even a Sega fan at all. I only got a Dreamcast because the PS2 was always sold out and I got tired of coming home with nothing.

When I went to Gamestop in the first week of September, there were two lines. One for Dreamcast, and one for Final Fantasy VIII on PS1. Dreamcast was hyped to the moon and back, but at the sometime everybody knew it was going to get steamrolled by the PS2 a year later.

I don't know what the sales data was for the 3DO, but I suspect that may be the biggest flop I own. *shrugs* Yeah, wasn't my favorite platform, but there were a surprising number of companies that got their start on the 3DO actually, and it had a handful of pretty noteworthy exclusives, including such examples as Total Eclipse and D, for instance. And Captain Quazar. You can't forget that masterpiece!

3DO also had the best versions of a number of avant-garde contemporaneous titles, like the best version of Out of This World (that's a.k.a. Another World for European gamers) for example.

WiiU sold less than vita right? After I got out of college and we didn't constantly have 4 people ready to play Kart and Smash together the Nintendo systems just didn't have the same effect and I haven't really been tempted by one since. Still, got the $200 one refurbished and had a good time for awhile

I am Iron Man

I guess the N64 at 33m.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS