By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Presidential Election Thread

This unbiased article does a great job at explaining just how different Biden's lead is compared to Clinton's and why its so much more convincing for Biden.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/08/20/bidenclinton_vs_trump_comparing_20202016_polling_gaps_144006.html

Biden has closed gaps that Trump trounced Hillary in 4 years ago, with just about every single demographic.

Around the Network
newwil7l said:

This unbiased article does a great job at explaining just how different Biden's lead is compared to Clinton's and why its so much more convincing for Biden.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/08/20/bidenclinton_vs_trump_comparing_20202016_polling_gaps_144006.html

Biden has closed gaps that Trump trounced Hillary in 4 years ago, with just about every single demographic.

Is that just according to Yougov polls though? The article makes it seem like that. Yougov has Biden at a bit above the average.

JWeinCom said:
newwil7l said:

Is that just according to Yougov polls though? The article makes it seem like that. Yougov has Biden at a bit above the average.

No RCP has a running average of all high quality national polls.

newwil7l said:
JWeinCom said:

No RCP has a running average of all high quality national polls.

That doesn't necessarily mean they are using the average from the poll datas. The article gives the Yougov figure for Biden's national lead, which makes me thing that's where all the data for this particular article is coming from. Could be wrong, but the author is unclear and names no other source, nor do they state they're using an average.

TallSilhouette said:

Don't think it's been posted here yet. Great speech by Joe.

It's not an exaggeration to say that that was the best speech of Joe Biden's political career. It wasn't a rousing "barn-burner" of a speech like we've come to expect from these convention acceptance speeches, but rather it was more like a kind of intimate fireside chat if you will...which just felt like more of a match for this painful moment in our history, and also more in-character for Joe. This is a time of tremendous stress, sadness, and anxiousness and Biden demonstrated sensitivity to where people are emotionally right now. To me, the part about ten minutes in where he speaks directly to those who have lost a loved one was particularly moving. I mean as someone who has lost every loved one who has been in my life up to this point in one sense or another, it made me a little teary-eyed to hear him describe the feeling of it and how he's learned to navigate those kinds of struggles through personal experience.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 22 August 2020

Around the Network
Torillian said:

To be fair, if you agree that those that Moren names are the most extremist examples of the Republican party then the difference is the Republican part is inviting all of them to speak at a national convention. The DNC didn't invite looters from the protests to celebrate their shittiness. Seems more reasonable then to call out the GOP for the characters they decide to put on a pedestal on a national stage. 

It is what it is.

EricHiggin said:
KLXVER said:

No, they are not. Just like people defending their home against a violent mob or a guy getting harassed for wearing a MAGA hat are not scum of the earth.  I just dont understand where that kind of thinking is coming from. So excuse me for getting confused.

Making the choice to apply that hat to your head, is seen as the most recent version of sieg heil, a victory salute, if you think DT is actually comparable to AH. It's even worse apparently, because you have to go get it, pay for it, then apply it, as it remains visible that entire time.

Some people don't have a full enough comprehension of the past to properly compare, some just aren't good at comparing or anticipating period, and some simply just believe whatever they're told without question. People who do have, and understand some of these things, if not all of them, are not the people who go overboard, unless they are purposely being manipulative to deceive.

coolbeans said:

Friendly reminder: John Kasich and Colin Powell were invited to speak.

You'd think this possibly has something to do with what Tulsi said to Kamala during the primaries, but then again, after hearing what Kamala said to Joe, considering he invited her to be his running mate and she happily agreed, you can't help but wonder.

You should know by now that in politics, all is forgiven as long as its a political advantage.  You forget how many people during the GOP came out slamming Trump only to be best buds once he got the nomination. All that stuff gets swept away once people start to line up politically with the winner.

I watched a few minutes of the RNC and its crazy how Trump is acting like he did a good job to combat COVID.

jason1637 said:
I watched a few minutes of the RNC and its crazy how Trump is acting like he did a good job to combat COVID.

So does Cuomo, but people seem to be fine with that.

KLXVER said:
jason1637 said:

So does Cuomo, but people seem to be fine with that.

Based on what data have you decided that Cuomo did not do a good job?

Edit: Actually, let me not fall into this typical deflection tactic. If Cuomo indeed did not do a good job, that should be reflected the next time he is up for election. Same for Trump. 

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 24 August 2020