By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which will prevail? Xbox Power or Playstation Speed?

Tagged games:

Pick your side!

XBOX 27 31.03%

PLAYSTATION 50 57.47%

Master Race 10 11.49%

Total:87
ruffy37 said:
in 2014 around the release of ps4 you could actually build a pc comarable to the ps4 für 400€. for somehow comparable speccs to the ps5, you would need around 900€ no way it will be 400€ I think even 500€ is too low. unless amd release much more powerful and cheap gpus next year.

in 2014 you could not in any way or form build a comparable 400euros PC, show me the 2014 parts that could run God of war or spiderman for max 400euros

Graphics card

Processor

Motherboard

RAM

Controller with wireless

Chassis, delivery costs, cables, antennas

Bluray drive

Cost of windows 10

Fan

Power unit

500GB hard drive

PS - By the time the ps5 launches, I could build a great PC for 700euros, parts will become better and cheaper by then, I might actually go that route as PC becomes cheaper with free online, cheaper games, way more games available, and I could sell my laptop. I'll decide, it all depends on the design and quality of the console, the controller, sony never had a good controller I had to buy a pro controller to have a decent one. Most of all, the cooling system, Ill keep an eye on that.

Last edited by victor83fernandes - on 20 March 2020

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
src said:

MS's clock speeds are fixed and set in accordance to their thermal dissipation design. If they were to over clock they would need to change their cooling mechanisms which could change the entire physical assembly of the box or parts of it: it's too late for that. 

False.

They did it with the Xbox One.
Sony also did it with the PSP.

And there are probably other consoles that got a firmware update that increased clockrates... Maybe the Switch even?

Its actually funny that my switch fan is louder than the xbox X, I never heard any whisper from the X until I put in gears of war 4 in 4K, and even then it was only a whisper. For this I have a lot of respect for Microsoft build quality, and will keep an eye to see if ps5 has vapor chamber, if not then its a no buy for me, I wont deal another generation swapping playstations until I get a quieter one, it took me 5 ps4s to get a decent one, still much louder than xbox.

So guys, stop with this nonsense of clockrates, concentrate in cooling system.

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

That was only a narrative because PS360 was a case of specs on paper favoring the PS3 sligthly (but X360 having better GPU) while this gen Xbox fanbase refusing the power disadvantage and claiming secret sauce. If most sony fans accept XSX seems stronger and are curious about the SSD making a difference on the opposite direction. When games start flowing we may see a lot of this discussion again and see what will come of it.

? On paper “teh cell” was supposed to blow Xbox 360 out of the water. The reality was another story but I remember that narrative like it was yesterday. Sony pushed it initially but the fans keep it going for years. 

Wait Xbox fans claiming secret sauce? From my perspective I say ps guys are using SSD as secret sauce. Teraflops is just a new way of pushing the power narrative. Say what you will, but our narratives are consistent every gen. I mean Xbox One was weak, but we complained and eventually we got our X console. Og Xbox was a beast and 360 held its own. We know what we like. 

Nothing like a new generation of speculation back and forth to get the blood pumping ;)

While not a great comparison since 360, and more so PS3, weren't the easiest consoles to dev for based on their hardware, a thought nonetheless.

The cell was supposed to be able to blow the 360 out of the water, based on it's potential. While that wasn't the case early on, it did certainly start to shine halfway through and well outdo the 360 by the end. So was SNY full of crap? Not really, but they weren't exactly upfront with the game quality time frame. SNY isn't saying the PS5 will blow the XBSX out of the water, their just explaining why it's not as easy to understand what it can do based on the numbers. MS however is proclaiming it's hardware its going to be the most powerful console ever, that will, "eat monsters for breakfast."

So, if PS3's potential based on it's hardware was so darn great on paper, compared to 360, what about XBSX vs PS5? If XBSX shows more potential on paper, how does that mean it can't end up kinda like PS3? Will the PS5's speed and potential lesser price, make a big enough splash that it becomes the 360 of this gen? PS5 RVOD? 

Price has to be taken into account here as to how both may fare. If the PS3 was cheaper, even with cell, it would have sold better, which would have pushed devs to focus more on PS3 to some degree. How much are the PS5 and XBSX going to cost, how many sales will each get based on that, and how will devs react to that? Even if PS5 happened to have a significant lead, devs won't ignore XBSX like they did with PS3 early on because of the much more friendly hardware. Can XBSX come close enough to PS5's price, to make it moot?

I think both are going to be close enough that the more hardcore console gamers are simply going to have to choose what's a little more important to them. For most casuals, it's probably not going to matter at all, which could lead to simple upgrades within the same brand. Unless one brand tries to heavily undercut/match the others price that is.

Soundwave said:

lol lots of brand rationalization going on in here, if this was the opposite where Sony had the higher specced system people would be yelling from the rooftops about it.

There's probably nothing that stops the XBSX from going to higher clock speeds if MS wants either making that gap in power even larger.

Some certainly would, but if PS5 were clearly more powerful than XBSX, then best case scenario, it's going to be $499 or $599, and quite a few would lose their minds because of the 'PS3 level' pricing. It wouldn't be nothing but good news and happy fans for SNY, it would be a mix, but would seem more positive because the hardcore hardware fans would be beyond thrilled, and XB fans were already promised the TF crown.

MS made it clear the clocks were locked for good reason and was part of the design. So either they're straight up lying, or they aren't changing the APU specs. It would be ironic though, as MS would be pulling another, "we can't just flip a switch", yet their fans would probably fine with it as long as the price didn't increase much, assuming it's affordable at launch as is.

EricHiggin said:
sales2099 said:

? On paper “teh cell” was supposed to blow Xbox 360 out of the water. The reality was another story but I remember that narrative like it was yesterday. Sony pushed it initially but the fans keep it going for years. 

Wait Xbox fans claiming secret sauce? From my perspective I say ps guys are using SSD as secret sauce. Teraflops is just a new way of pushing the power narrative. Say what you will, but our narratives are consistent every gen. I mean Xbox One was weak, but we complained and eventually we got our X console. Og Xbox was a beast and 360 held its own. We know what we like. 

Nothing like a new generation of speculation back and forth to get the blood pumping ;)

While not a great comparison since 360, and more so PS3, weren't the easiest consoles to dev for based on their hardware, a thought nonetheless.

The cell was supposed to be able to blow the 360 out of the water, based on it's potential. While that wasn't the case early on, it did certainly start to shine halfway through and well outdo the 360 by the end. So was SNY full of crap? Not really, but they weren't exactly upfront with the game quality time frame. SNY isn't saying the PS5 will blow the XBSX out of the water, their just explaining why it's not as easy to understand what it can do based on the numbers. MS however is proclaiming it's hardware its going to be the most powerful console ever, that will, "eat monsters for breakfast."

So, if PS3's potential based on it's hardware was so darn great on paper, compared to 360, what about XBSX vs PS5? If XBSX shows more potential on paper, how does that mean it can't end up kinda like PS3? Will the PS5's speed and potential lesser price, make a big enough splash that it becomes the 360 of this gen? PS5 RVOD? 

Price has to be taken into account here as to how both may fare. If the PS3 was cheaper, even with cell, it would have sold better, which would have pushed devs to focus more on PS3 to some degree. How much are the PS5 and XBSX going to cost, how many sales will each get based on that, and how will devs react to that? Even if PS5 happened to have a significant lead, devs won't ignore XBSX like they did with PS3 early on because of the much more friendly hardware. Can XBSX come close enough to PS5's price, to make it moot?

I think both are going to be close enough that the more hardcore console gamers are simply going to have to choose what's a little more important to them. For most casuals, it's probably not going to matter at all, which could lead to simple upgrades within the same brand. Unless one brand tries to heavily undercut/match the others price that is.

Soundwave said:

lol lots of brand rationalization going on in here, if this was the opposite where Sony had the higher specced system people would be yelling from the rooftops about it.

There's probably nothing that stops the XBSX from going to higher clock speeds if MS wants either making that gap in power even larger.

Some certainly would, but If PS5 were clearly more powerful than XBSX, then best case scenario, it's going to be $499 or $599, and quite a few would lose their minds because of the 'PS3 level' pricing. It wouldn't be nothing but good news and happy fans for SNY, it would be a mix, but would seem more positive because the hardcore hardware fans would be beyond thrilled, and XB fans were already promised the TF crown.

MS made it clear the clocks were locked for good reason and was part of the design. So either they're straight up lying, or they aren't changing the APU specs. It would be ironic though, as MS would be pulling another, "we can't just flip a switch", yet their fans would probably fine with it as long as the price didn't increase much, assuming it's affordable at launch as is.

600dollars is not ps3 level pricing, ps3 was more expensive. And clearly its not going to be more expensive than Microsoft, as Microsoft showed the modular design, 12.1TF and a great console design with vapor cooling. PS5 wont match that for sure.

Its nothing like ps3 vs 360 era, now the processors and graphics are similar, both use bluray too, development for games will be similar, ps3 had a powerful cpu but difficult, and the gpu on 360 was much better too.

This time it will be like xbox one vs ps4 where ps4 had always slight more resolution, but this time the difference will be less than that, because the ps4 gpu was much more powerful 30%? now its only like 18%, but with faster RAM the real difference will be like 10%, so this time graphics will not be an issue for either console, its all about the

1 - controller

2 - moving your games forward, people with ps4 will definitely choose the ps5 so they can play their games including digital games

3 - cooling/noise/thermals

4 - Design, I'm happy with xbox design, it fits me very well, but most people prefer something that can fit in their cabinets, even tough you shouldn't enclose a powerful console in a cabinet.

5 - Price, the difference will most likely be 100dollars, 50 at best, and price counts

6 - brand name and games, playstation is building its name for a long time, they will launch Ghost of tsushima and last of us 2 and final fantasy 7 which will be playable on ps5

7 - PS5 games wont be on PC or ps4, but if you have a PC then all xbox games will be there, no exclusives for 2 years, so if you also have an xbox one then not much reason to upgrade, while sony will definitely have exclusives at launch and further beyond, this is because sony knows the business, its simple actually, launch great single player exclusives once in a while and you are guaranteed success, its amazing how Microsoft still haven't figure that out

Pemalite said:
src said:

MS's clock speeds are fixed and set in accordance to their thermal dissipation design. If they were to over clock they would need to change their cooling mechanisms which could change the entire physical assembly of the box or parts of it: it's too late for that. 

False.

They did it with the Xbox One.
Sony also did it with the PSP.

And there are probably other consoles that got a firmware update that increased clockrates... Maybe the Switch even?

Was that not the difference between beta hardware and production hardware. If so then we are making the assumption that current spec sheet is not of final production hardware.

Around the Network

Far out this is such a nostalgia trip, it's been ages since we had good old fashioned spec war.

Takes me back to the old days of Blast Processing vs Mode 7, Emotion Engine vs TEV vs Programmable Pixel Shaders.

At the very least, this is the liveliest I've seen VGChartz in a long time.

The playing field going into next generation is going to be much more even. MS has learned from their mistakes from this gen and the messaging has been much more clear than Sony's. MS will have a much larger and more diverse lineup of 1st party games than they have ever had before. Being able to play all XB1 day one and all previous BC games shows MS is dedicated to supporting games beyond each generation. If MS can nail a price point at launch to stay competitive, they can give the ps5 a run for its money.

EricHiggin said:
sales2099 said:

Soundwave said:

Some certainly would, but if PS5 were clearly more powerful than XBSX, then best case scenario, it's going to be $499 or $599, and quite a few would lose their minds because of the 'PS3 level' pricing. It wouldn't be nothing but good news and happy fans for SNY, it would be a mix, but would seem more positive because the hardcore hardware fans would be beyond thrilled, and XB fans were already promised the TF crown.

The Series X won’t end up like PS3 because Ms made the system intentionally easy to program for, unlike PS3. Both are rumoured to cost $499, but even if SX is more you have Lockhart to undercut PS5 on price. No way it will be $599, I think anybody who remembers E3 2006 knows to not repeat said pricing mistakes. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

victor83fernandes said:
EricHiggin said:

600dollars is not ps3 level pricing, ps3 was more expensive. And clearly its not going to be more expensive than Microsoft, as Microsoft showed the modular design, 12.1TF and a great console design with vapor cooling. PS5 wont match that for sure.

Its nothing like ps3 vs 360 era, now the processors and graphics are similar, both use bluray too, development for games will be similar, ps3 had a powerful cpu but difficult, and the gpu on 360 was much better too.

This time it will be like xbox one vs ps4 where ps4 had always slight more resolution, but this time the difference will be less than that, because the ps4 gpu was much more powerful 30%? now its only like 18%, but with faster RAM the real difference will be like 10%, so this time graphics will not be an issue for either console, its all about the

1 - controller

2 - moving your games forward, people with ps4 will definitely choose the ps5 so they can play their games including digital games

3 - cooling/noise/thermals

4 - Design, I'm happy with xbox design, it fits me very well, but most people prefer something that can fit in their cabinets, even tough you shouldn't enclose a powerful console in a cabinet.

5 - Price, the difference will most likely be 100dollars, 50 at best, and price counts

6 - brand name and games, playstation is building its name for a long time, they will launch Ghost of tsushima and last of us 2 and final fantasy 7 which will be playable on ps5

7 - PS5 games wont be on PC or ps4, but if you have a PC then all xbox games will be there, no exclusives for 2 years, so if you also have an xbox one then not much reason to upgrade, while sony will definitely have exclusives at launch and further beyond, this is because sony knows the business, its simple actually, launch great single player exclusives once in a while and you are guaranteed success, its amazing how Microsoft still haven't figure that out

That's why I had single quotes around 'PS3 pricing'. PS3 would be a lot more today, but some people wouldn't take that into account.

It's similar in that we have design differences that are causing people to suggest one will clearly be much better than the other, which isn't clear.

I don't see it being like this gen, unless PS keeps having lectures. Some people had outlandish expectations for PS4 and XB1 hardware specs, yet there was a pretty obvious gap that seemed almost impossible to overcome for XB1, which was not initially expected.

1-7 I agree with for the most part. It's not going to be as much about the console hardware this time around. It'll be what it allows for peripherals and games.

sales2099 said:
EricHiggin said:

The Series X won’t end up like PS3 because Ms made the system intentionally easy to program for, unlike PS3. Both are rumoured to cost $499, but even if SX is more you have Lockhart to undercut PS5 on price. No way it will be $599, I think anybody who remembers E3 2006 knows to not repeat said pricing mistakes. 

I made that PS3 point to start, and followed it up later.

PS5 and XBSX have been officially announced. Lockhart may not even exist, but it could.

Then based on your pricing, we might end up with a:

4TF Lockhart - $299-$399

10TF PS5 - $399-$499

12TF XBSX - $499

If Lockhart is $299, and XBSX is $499, then SNY likely isn't going to want to price PS5 at $499 as well. They might, but playing it safe would be getting it as close to $399 as possible if they can. If PS5 is $399 then Lockhart will get some cred price wise, but anyone who looks at the specs vs price will be tempted to get a PS5 at $399. They may have to save up and wait though, so that will have some buying Lockhart right away and some waiting for PS5.

If PS3 pricing could have been $399 and $499-$599 instead, it would have made a significant difference. As long as Lockhart was $299-$399, then XBSX can be $599 and it won't be a problem. XBSX won't sell a lot at that price, but it also very well may drive consumers to buy Lockhart because of it. A premium product can bring people into your brand, even if they aren't buying that specific product.

Shiken said:
Switch's portability.

Are you sure about that? I mean how much of an advantage is portability and the social play in public spaces it offers in an increasingly quarantined world?

I'm pretty sure that by this fall, gamers are going to be prioritizing other advantages in their consoles.

Plus realistically most people who are going to buy a Switch already own one at this point. I mean, I already have a Switch, so I'm pretty sure the next platform I buy this fall won't be another Switch.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 20 March 2020