By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which will prevail? Xbox Power or Playstation Speed?

Tagged games:

Pick your side!

XBOX 27 31.03%

PLAYSTATION 50 57.47%

Master Race 10 11.49%

Total:87
Leynos said:
sales2099 said:

I dunno, Segas stock price is hilariously low. Like just begging for a takeover bid. A guy can dream. 

Keep dreaming. That bullshit is not happening

Well they gonna acquire someone by June, so until then we can speculate 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

In the power of speed vs power, the real winner will be the system which offers convenience, portability and a killer first party library at a lower price point.

Nice to see some Xbox Lockhart fans here :p

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Leynos said:

Keep dreaming. That bullshit is not happening

Better to build studios than acquire them esp with MS's reputation

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

src said:

Will the PS5 SSD show big gameplay changes from the XBX's? This is a question that can only be answered once we see the games.

Nope.

TallSilhouette said:
I think a 100% difference in throughput will provide a greater benefit to game design than a ~20% difference in horsepower. That said, most people will probably be more interested in the resolutions and frame rates of multiplatform faceoffs than load times or draw distances. Where the extra throughput will really shine is in the exclusives made specifically for it.

There will be some games that will benefit from the increase horsepower.
There will be some games that will benefit from the increase in storage speed.

Digital Foundry will likely gear testing to include load times here on out... And they will take note of assets streaming in.

Either way... The hardware advantage is in the Xbox's court.

Angelus said:
Let's all just take a moment to appreciate that we're not getting systems that are gimped before they even hit the market, like we did last time around. We're gonna see some REALLY gorgeous games next gen.

This. The hardware isn't going to be extremely high-end, but it's certainly capable regardless if you buy a Sony or Microsoft console.

Hiku said:

I would hope that XSX could use the SSD in a similar manner, even at a slower degree, because then that means multiplatform games would be able to take better advantage of this. Though it seems like that wasn't MS's approach.

In which case the use of this for third party games may be limited to things like making more use of higher resolution assets in general.
A former Naughty Dog developer talked about this:

It can use it in a similar manner, just less capable.

Microsoft did include compression/decompression blocks in the SoC, so it's got similar features, just Microsoft is using a less propriety take on the SSD technology which has a ton of Pro's and Con's. (Con's being less potential performance, but cheaper, more space.)

Hiku said:

Essentially from my understanding, Xbox Series X is more capable of generating higher resolution assets. But you can only go as far with the quality of assets as the memory allows for the game. Basically, the memory is a bottleneck. And I think XSX primarily uses RAM for this.
But PS5's SSD would be capable of delivering higher than usual resolution assets, and more of them, on screen.

For first party exclusive games, this could impact the game design in general. But it's capability of handling large amounts of high quality assets will be interesting to see in multiplatform games as well.

It's not just higher resolution assets, the Xbox Series X potentially has more hardware for building more detailed worlds... More geometry, better lighting, shadowing and reflections, higher resolutions, higher framerates.

And potentially even Physics on the CPU would see an advantage as Microsoft can guarantee it's clockrates even when the GPU is pegged at 100%.

src said:

From my understanding the SSD speed is a real gamechanger as it allows devs to load a larger amount of assets from the SSD to the RAM.

Lets say 1080p/60fps of a game requires 4GB/s. Therefore the 4GB needs to be loaded into the RAM so CPU/GPU do all the calculations that result in the frames being rendered on TV. We have 16 GB of RAM so we can store 4 seconds of gameplay in advance. With SSD speeds, devs can simply load only 2 seconds of gameplay at the same frame rate (8GB per second) and hence each frame can use more data.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can explain how the SSD -> RAM -> output pipeline works in terms of data transfer for games.

The Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 will not have 16GB for games.

BraLoD said:

About the PS5 struggling to hit the max power, you are making a fool of yourself with it, Cerny specially focused on saying how they design it so they could sustain it without a problem almost all the time.

Probably should read up on what smart-shift is.

The crux is that... If Sony can maintain the CPU and GPU clocks whilst pegging the I/O to 100%... Then it's not a boost clock... And all that engineering, advertising and so forth that went into Smartshift and dynamic clocks, clock gating and so on... Was a waste of time and money and most importantly... Oxygen.

Either way, not buying it just because someone on a forum on the internet said so. :P

Azzanation said:
Lets have a look and give a general ranking,

CPU - XSX
GPU - XSX
BAC - XSX
SDD - PS5
RAM - Draw

Still waiting on some other announcements from Sony to compare, however at this stage I cannot say who has the advantage with the list below.

Price - N/A
Controller - N/A
Design - N/A
Games - N/A

Xbox Series X has the Ram advantage as well, more raw bandwidth, even if it's only slight.

exclusive_console said:

PS5 will run dynmaic 4K resolution where as Xbox will be native. PS5 exclusives will be more impressive I think. Overall gfx wise both are great so it just depends on games

Potentially the same situation we see the Playstation 4 Pro and Xbox One X? I will personally wait for a few months after release to see how things trend.

DonFerrari said:

We don't know if it was a guy or group, but it got posted almost daily in VGC between reveal and release of Xbox One, after that he still was posting that DirectX update would make X1 more powerful than PS4.

People do that all the time, they think some "software enhancement" is going to completely overcome hardware deficiencies.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

lol lots of brand rationalization going on in here, if this was the opposite where Sony had the higher specced system people would be yelling from the rooftops about it.

There's probably nothing that stops the XBSX from going to higher clock speeds if MS wants either making that gap in power even larger.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
src said:

Will the PS5 SSD show big gameplay changes from the XBX's? This is a question that can only be answered once we see the games.

Nope.

TallSilhouette said:
I think a 100% difference in throughput will provide a greater benefit to game design than a ~20% difference in horsepower. That said, most people will probably be more interested in the resolutions and frame rates of multiplatform faceoffs than load times or draw distances. Where the extra throughput will really shine is in the exclusives made specifically for it.

There will be some games that will benefit from the increase horsepower.
There will be some games that will benefit from the increase in storage speed.

Digital Foundry will likely gear testing to include load times here on out... And they will take note of assets streaming in.

Either way... The hardware advantage is in the Xbox's court.

Angelus said:
Let's all just take a moment to appreciate that we're not getting systems that are gimped before they even hit the market, like we did last time around. We're gonna see some REALLY gorgeous games next gen.

This. The hardware isn't going to be extremely high-end, but it's certainly capable regardless if you buy a Sony or Microsoft console.

Hiku said:

I would hope that XSX could use the SSD in a similar manner, even at a slower degree, because then that means multiplatform games would be able to take better advantage of this. Though it seems like that wasn't MS's approach.

In which case the use of this for third party games may be limited to things like making more use of higher resolution assets in general.
A former Naughty Dog developer talked about this:

It can use it in a similar manner, just less capable.

Microsoft did include compression/decompression blocks in the SoC, so it's got similar features, just Microsoft is using a less propriety take on the SSD technology which has a ton of Pro's and Con's. (Con's being less potential performance, but cheaper, more space.)

Hiku said:

Essentially from my understanding, Xbox Series X is more capable of generating higher resolution assets. But you can only go as far with the quality of assets as the memory allows for the game. Basically, the memory is a bottleneck. And I think XSX primarily uses RAM for this.
But PS5's SSD would be capable of delivering higher than usual resolution assets, and more of them, on screen.

For first party exclusive games, this could impact the game design in general. But it's capability of handling large amounts of high quality assets will be interesting to see in multiplatform games as well.

It's not just higher resolution assets, the Xbox Series X potentially has more hardware for building more detailed worlds... More geometry, better lighting, shadowing and reflections, higher resolutions, higher framerates.

And potentially even Physics on the CPU would see an advantage as Microsoft can guarantee it's clockrates even when the GPU is pegged at 100%.

src said:

From my understanding the SSD speed is a real gamechanger as it allows devs to load a larger amount of assets from the SSD to the RAM.

Lets say 1080p/60fps of a game requires 4GB/s. Therefore the 4GB needs to be loaded into the RAM so CPU/GPU do all the calculations that result in the frames being rendered on TV. We have 16 GB of RAM so we can store 4 seconds of gameplay in advance. With SSD speeds, devs can simply load only 2 seconds of gameplay at the same frame rate (8GB per second) and hence each frame can use more data.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can explain how the SSD -> RAM -> output pipeline works in terms of data transfer for games.

The Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 will not have 16GB for games.

BraLoD said:

About the PS5 struggling to hit the max power, you are making a fool of yourself with it, Cerny specially focused on saying how they design it so they could sustain it without a problem almost all the time.

Probably should read up on what smart-shift is.

The crux is that... If Sony can maintain the CPU and GPU clocks whilst pegging the I/O to 100%... Then it's not a boost clock... And all that engineering, advertising and so forth that went into Smartshift and dynamic clocks, clock gating and so on... Was a waste of time and money and most importantly... Oxygen.

Either way, not buying it just because someone on a forum on the internet said so. :P

Azzanation said:
Lets have a look and give a general ranking,

CPU - XSX
GPU - XSX
BAC - XSX
SDD - PS5
RAM - Draw

Still waiting on some other announcements from Sony to compare, however at this stage I cannot say who has the advantage with the list below.

Price - N/A
Controller - N/A
Design - N/A
Games - N/A

Xbox Series X has the Ram advantage as well, more raw bandwidth, even if it's only slight.

exclusive_console said:

PS5 will run dynmaic 4K resolution where as Xbox will be native. PS5 exclusives will be more impressive I think. Overall gfx wise both are great so it just depends on games

Potentially the same situation we see the Playstation 4 Pro and Xbox One X? I will personally wait for a few months after release to see how things trend.

DonFerrari said:

We don't know if it was a guy or group, but it got posted almost daily in VGC between reveal and release of Xbox One, after that he still was posting that DirectX update would make X1 more powerful than PS4.

People do that all the time, they think some "software enhancement" is going to completely overcome hardware deficiencies.

Of course fanbase will hold to anything that makes they fell better =]

On the less proprietary I would say that is half truth since internally it may be less proprietary but the expansion is totally proprietary for MS and 0 for Sony.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Soundwave said:

lol lots of brand rationalization going on in here, if this was the opposite where Sony had the higher specced system people would be yelling from the rooftops about it.

There's probably nothing that stops the XBSX from going to higher clock speeds if MS wants either making that gap in power even larger.

Thats just not true. It's fundamental the you cannot numerically compare systems that have different architecture. 

Now PS5 and XBSX have similar chips but their micro-architecture seems very different which complicates things. MS's clock speeds are fixed and set in accordance to their thermal dissipation design. If they were to over clock they would need to change their cooling mechanisms which could change the entire physical assembly of the box or parts of it: it's too late for that. 

src said:
Soundwave said:

Thats just not true. It's fundamental the you cannot numerically compare systems that have different architecture. 

Now PS5 and XBSX have similar chips but their micro-architecture seems very different which complicates things. MS's clock speeds are fixed and set in accordance to their thermal dissipation design. If they were to over clock they would need to change their cooling mechanisms which could change the entire physical assembly of the box or parts of it: it's too late for that. 

And I haven`t seem anyone saying PS5 is more powerful. The question is exactly what will impact more our gameplay and will be more liked by gamers the extra power of XSX or the extra speed of the SSD.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Leynos said:
sales2099 said:

Better to build studios than acquire them esp with MS's reputation

Well that’s highly debatable. A ground up studio like The Initiative takes years of hiring and setting up. Years MS does not have to impress gamers.

It makes sense to acquire studios that have talent and at the right price. Like Obsidian and Ninja Theory, two studios that make amazing games but both needed financial security

And I think MS finally learned from the past as they promised to leave their devs creative freedom to make what they want. I imagine the only things MS would intervene with is setting rough deadlines and adding minor things like a Halo skin in Sea of Thieves for example 

src said:

MS's clock speeds are fixed and set in accordance to their thermal dissipation design. If they were to over clock they would need to change their cooling mechanisms which could change the entire physical assembly of the box or parts of it: it's too late for that. 

False.

They did it with the Xbox One.
Sony also did it with the PSP.

And there are probably other consoles that got a firmware update that increased clockrates... Maybe the Switch even?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--