By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which will prevail? Xbox Power or Playstation Speed?

Tagged games:

Pick your side!

XBOX 27 31.03%

PLAYSTATION 50 57.47%

Master Race 10 11.49%

Total:87
Jaicee said:
Shiken said:
Switch's portability.

Are you sure about that? I mean how much of an advantage is portability and the social play in public spaces it offers in an increasingly quarantined world?

I'm pretty sure that by this fall, gamers are going to be prioritizing other advantages in their consoles.

A few points here.  Number one, people will still need to have a Switch to play Nintendo's 1st party IPs as well as for 3rd party collab projects such as Astral Chain and Bayo 3.

Number two is that as a parent, my Switch allows me to play in handheld mode in my house while also tending and supervising my two and five year old.  I cannot do that from my den on my Playstation or XBox as easily as I can with my Switch.

Number 3, you act as though quarantine will last forever.  If that is your best argument, a temporary condition that may or may not last more than a month, then it is telling just how hard you had to reach.  You would have been better off not saying anything at all.

Plus realistically most people who are going to buy a Switch already own one at this point. I mean, I already have a Switch, so I'm pretty sure the next platform I buy this fall won't be another Switch.

By that logic, PS4 sales would have topped out years ago.  The Switch, much like the PS4, will easily cross 100 mil in a similar time frame.  Many people are still waiting on that price cut that the full model has yet to see, and even with that sales figures are still strong.

We have seen the "sales cliff" argument in the past.  It is just as shallow and laughable now as it was then.

Last edited by Shiken - on 20 March 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

I have a question from those like me who don't have enough technical knowledge.

Sure, PS5 SSD is significantly faster and will offer almost instantaneous load times and will almost completely erradicate things like popping and other data loading related stuff. That seems to be a fact.

However... XSX SSD, while slower, should still offer quite an upgrade over the mechanicals hard drives of the previous generation... right? Knowing what PS5 SSD can do, what do you guys thing we can expect from XSX SSD? Very short loading times (but not instant)? Significant reduction of popping? Or do you think it won't change things much?

Last edited by Vodacixi - on 21 March 2020

Vodacixi said:

Sure, PS5 SSD is significantly faster and will offer almost instantaneous load times and will almost completely erradicate things like popping and other data loading related stuff. That seems to be a fact.

However... XSX SSD, while slower, should still offer quite an upgrade over the mechanicals hard drives of the previous generation... right? Knowing what PS5 SSD can do, what do you guys thing we can expect from XSX SSD? Very short loading times (but not instant)? Significant reduction of popping? Or do you think it won't change things much?

I think XSX is all in all the superior piece of hardware, and this is coming from one the hottest Sony fan on this planet, I

The PS5 SSD is actually unreal, insane, and I'm sure the best 1st party Devs will take full advantage of it, really creating revolutionary things, you have never seen before, this is sure.  But what about 3rd party developers who need to develop with the lowest common denominator in mind ?  Many PC gamers nowdays do not even have  a SSD...nough said.    XSX has also a very fast SSD, not as fast as PS5's one, still able to do a lot in terms of designing the levels in a total different way, coupled with its very interesting Xbox Velocity Architecture !   Both PS5 and XSX will show amazing things if games are specifically done for them ;)  And I cannot wait.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

The amount of work/time and freedom the devs will be able to put into their games will decide what console will have the most defining games,given Sony's history i personally will probably buy the next Sony console because it is already safe to say they will make games i will like and like usual bring us some new IP's.

Microsoft is putting an effort towards having more first party quality releases and it will be interesting to see what they come up with after the letdown of this gen.

Vodacixi said:

However... XSX SSD, while slower, should still offer quite an upgrade over the mechanicals hard drives of the previous generation... right? Knowing what PS5 SSD can do, what do you guys think we can expect from XSX SSD? Very short loading times (but not instant)? Significant reduction of popping? Or do you think it won't change things much?

The key is not the difference in loading speed. Loading Gigabytes of data really fast is only the first part of the problem (from a logical standpoint, it is the no-brainer part). If you are already satisfied with that first part, you are in trouble.

The other part is "what do I have to do with the data once I have unpacked it into memory" If you look at Cerny's talk, it incorporates a lot of individual steps which are mandatory for any console or pc. The data does not magically unpack and be ready for the gpu. Apparently Cerny developed the whole chain in hardware, and that is a lot of powerful hardware, to the extent to the equvalent power of several Zen2 cores. At this time, we do not know what the XSX does after loading and unpacking the data. If they don't have the hardware (and they can't have all of it, as some pieces like the cache scrubber are Sony exclusive hardware), they have to do it in software with the Zen2 cores. That has very obvious consequences. They can do all of it with the cpu, but it requires several cpu cores. While Sony's Zen2 cores are free to do whatever they want, probably half of the Zen2 of the XSX is out of the picture (and let's not forget the caches of the Zen2 get a kick in the butt, too). So there is a (serious) performance penalty in the cpu part every time hires assets are streamed. How that translates into gaming performance is everyone's guess (tiny hickups might appear occasionally?), only the games will tell. My guess is it should be noticable and was worth the effort, as Sony would not have invested so much time and money into this pure hardware solution.

Last edited by drkohler - on 21 March 2020

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:

XSX SSD seems strong and good enough to basically do everything PS5 is doing on load times and the like. And the differences will only really be visible on first party.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

green_sky said:
Didn't Nintendo win this gen with their Vita.

I'm pretty sure unless you were a girl with a penchant for reverse harem games nothing flopped harder than the Vita. 

AsGryffynn said:
green_sky said:
Didn't Nintendo win this gen with their Vita.

I'm pretty sure unless you were a girl with a penchant for reverse harem games nothing flopped harder than the Vita. 

WiiU sold worse than Vita and VirtuaBoy done even worse, but still we have plenty of pre-PS2 HW that were total shit.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I know this probably has already been said in the previous 12 pages, but - GAMES.
/thread

DonFerrari said:
AsGryffynn said:

WiiU sold worse than Vita and VirtuaBoy done even worse, but still we have plenty of pre-PS2 HW that were total shit.

I am pretty sure Japan piggybacked the Vita. It was the only system that did as horribly as the XBO did in Japan...