By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which will prevail? Xbox Power or Playstation Speed?

Tagged games:

Pick your side!

XBOX 27 31.03%

PLAYSTATION 50 57.47%

Master Race 10 11.49%

Total:87
BraLoD said:
Leynos said:

Blast Processing was no myth https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-blast-processing-retro-analysis

Just was never really used and what was marketed was a misdirection

Blast Processing was in fact a myth.

Sega marketing team wanted to market a superior feature on the Mega Drive over the SNES, they saw some blueprints of the system and noticed their graphics processor having some memory advantages and slammed the term blast processing.

It was never a feature, even if it was an actual advantage, Blast Processing never existed, the marketing team didn't even know what those higher numbers meant at the time.

Sega could never explain it back then and only after years after that people started looking for reasons to try to explain and justify it.

It was simply a marketing stunt. One that worked, that is.

Again it was real just read the article

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Leynos said:

Again it was real just read the article

I have read not one but several articles on it and overall history of Sega from that era.

As I said this article is now the fruit of people trying to prove a concept created solely for marketing purposes and that had no actual technical meaning behind it.

What research we have now is anything but Blast Processing, as again, it was just a marketing stunt.

The tech exists in the console. Real. Forget the shit SOA marketing. yes, the marketing is a bunch of BS but the tech was there in the console and real.

lol at this

Vodacixi said:

I have a question from those like me who don't have enough technical knowledge.

Sure, PS5 SSD is significantly faster and will offer almost instantaneous load times and will almost completely erradicate things like popping and other data loading related stuff. That seems to be a fact.

However... XSX SSD, while slower, should still offer quite an upgrade over the mechanicals hard drives of the previous generation... right? Knowing what PS5 SSD can do, what do you guys thing we can expect from XSX SSD? Very short loading times (but not instant)? Significant reduction of popping? Or do you think it won't change things much?

People need to understand: the entire gaming pipeline is loading data. Everything you see on screen is calculated by your GPU/CPU which loads data from memory.

There are two bottlenecks: how quickly you can load the data and how much you can calculate.

PS5's SSD is a 200% increase over XSX. 

Cerny explained it best. Usually a game loads data from the CD/HDD onto the RAM. Because this loading takes lets say 10 seconds, the game needs have all the data for the next 10 seconds of gameplay on the RAM so you can have stuff coming on the screen while the next batch of data is being loaded onto RAM. With faster SSD, the same amount of RAM can have fewer seconds of gameplay: 8GB of RAM can be used to store 5 seconds of data instead of 10 seconds. This means each second of gameplay can have more data in it, aka more fidelity (such as more animation, larger levels, AI, etc).

It's impossible to say how much the SSD difference means because it's so specific to each game and how it's coded. 

sales2099 said:
The more I go outside Vgchartz and see what the internet thinks of the specs between the two....the more I’m convinced multiplats will have a resolution and or FPS disparity between PS5/series x.

The sentiment is that the ssd overall can’t compensate for a weaker cpu and GPU. Too many factors favor the series x for the ssd to make up the gap. And the series x also has a ssd...I mean the only way I can believe the ssd clinging is if Xbox didn’t have one.

Its true, SSD allows a faster data stream into RAM but its the GPU crunching that produces the frames per second. However whats also true is that the CPU/GPU differences are much much smaller than PS4 and XB1. Furthermore there are architectural differences that are still not fully detailed (different compression techniques, additional cores for certain tasks like audio) that could change things.

In summary the FPS and resolution difference should be small. Meanwhile the SSD speed advantage the PS5 is massive. Will the gameplay designs be noticeably different? We will have to wait to see the games.

sales2099 said:
The more I go outside Vgchartz and see what the internet thinks of the specs between the two....the more I’m convinced multiplats will have a resolution and or FPS disparity between PS5/series x.

The sentiment is that the ssd overall can’t compensate for a weaker cpu and GPU. Too many factors favor the series x for the ssd to make up the gap. And the series x also has a ssd...I mean the only way I can believe the ssd clinging is if Xbox didn’t have one.

People forget the XSX has a SSD too. And all sorts of other technology MS engineered to make game development better. This SSD crap is worse than any eSRAM or cloud crap I heard about Xbone 😆

Of course the main thing people mess up on is they forget the power in PS5 is variable, so it’s not always a 2TF difference. Like we’ve been saying, all this SSD secret sauce will do for PS5 over XSX is make games load a few seconds faster.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
curl-6 said:

The specs are a known quantity; I defer to those who know more about tech than either of us such as Pemalite; XSX is more capable.

This is just another case of fans focusing on the one thing their box does better than the 'enemy' box.

I'm not disputing Permalite, neither am I disputing devs talking about how the TFLOPs difference won't matter and we should feel silly talking about it.

On paper there is no discussion, the XSX is superior overall but is also inferior on some ways, and its in a field where devs have been talking about game changing things will come from.

What will bring more to the balance is yet to be seen, as of right now we simply can't prove anything aside of on paper, which XB won.

I'm not focusing on it, I'm waiting to see what it can actually bring to the table. And asking a question.

Seems like you are rushing to conclusions there, sadly.

The only conclusion I'm rushing to is that I'm inclined to believe the analysis of those who are more knowledgeable than myself now that the guts of both machines are known. 

No doubt there will be games that leverage the SSD advantage on PS5, just as there were games that leveraged Megadrive's CPU speed advantage. I never meant to imply otherwise.

I'm simply pointing out that, as always happens in these situations, people defending their brand will always fixate on and overhype any specific advantage it has over the competition while downplaying the areas in which it falls short. In three decades, that hasn't changed.

I just don't get why CONSOLE gamers get so obsessed with specs. A major point in consoles is so they don't have to worry or think about them. Developers do. Neither system has a SEGA Saturn processor mess nor a PS3 CELL mess and both look like systems devs will be fine with. All that needs to be known. All consumers need to think about is games and price. Way too focused on something that doesn't affect the consumer at all is flops and CPUs and GPUs and what not. PC gamers it makes sense. Talented studios will play to the strengths of any hardware. Look at Luigi's Mansion 3 on Switch and Final Fantasy 7R on PS4.

Shiken said:

People will be stuck at home and out of work for two years?  Not how that works...

I myself am already back to work, and I get over an hour a day to play from my commute to beat traffic.  I was out of work for one week.  Now don't get me wrong, there are still shut downs happening over the next month or so.  But if you really think that people will still be locked in their homes by the time the new consoles drop, you will be in for what I hope would be a pleasant suprise for you.

But I guess the situation may differ from country to country as well, and some will bounce back faster than others.  Only time will tell, I can only speak for the trends I see around me.  If this does stretch out over the course of two years, console wars will be the last thing on anyone's mind to begin with TBH.

I don't think you're grasping the magnitude of this situation. There were 23,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the United States at this same time yesterday and there are 32,000 now. That's what a difference of just one day looks like now. They're doubling every three days. The experts are predicting there will be more than 100,000 cases in the U.S. by the end of the month, over a million by the start of May, tens of millions by election day, and that most of the population will have been infected by this same time next year, and that 1 to 3 million Americans will die from it over that same period of time: more than die annually of cancer and heart disease combined. Covid-19 will, within the next year, become the leading cause of death in America by a lot, in other words. It could well overwhelm our whole hospital system too if we're not careful. There is no cure, no treatment, and no immunity as yet. Vaccines and treatments take a solid year at minimum to make it through testing and licensing and become generally available to the public. You do the math.

My point is that NONE of this stuff that's been delayed "three weeks" or "two months" or whatever on paper is coming back. Not within the next year or two anyway. There will be no Black Friday this year (or at least not offline anyway), no trick-or-treating for Halloween, none of that. Eventually, we'll almost certainly be Italy: on total lockdown, legally prohibited from leaving our homes for any purposes save to go get food or pick up prescription drugs.

The impact on the economy will be severe. The experts are predicting that the next weekly jobless claims report may see as many as two million Americans having filed for unemployment. JP Morgan Chase is predicting an economic contraction of 24% for the second quarter, which is a depression-level disaster.

I don't mean to be scary or dystopian here, I'm just saying that this is an extremely serious situation we're facing right now in this country. It's not an exaggeration to say that this, in the end, will be the worst, most devastating pandemic the world has seen in a century and it's going to take a long time, not just a month or two, for any kind of real solution (like a vaccine, a mitigating treatment, or a build-up of general immunity resulting from sufficiently broad exposure to the virus) to come into being. We need to be real about that. And in that context, I say people are indeed going to be pretty focused on indoor activities and hobbies, like video games for example, by the fall.

Leynos said:
I just don't get why CONSOLE gamers get so obsessed with specs. A major point in consoles is so they don't have to worry or think about them. Developers do. Neither system has a SEGA Saturn processor mess nor a PS3 CELL mess and both look like systems devs will be fine with. All that needs to be known. All consumers need to think about is games and price. Way too focused on something that doesn't affect the consumer at all is flops and CPUs and GPUs and what not. PC gamers it makes sense. Talented studios will play to the strengths of any hardware. Look at Luigi's Mansion 3 on Switch and Final Fantasy 7R on PS4.

It’s very simple and trivial. Xbox fans want a victory (and superior specs is the first of hopefully more to follow) and PS fans refuse the idea of losing to Xbox in any capacity. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

BraLoD said:
sales2099 said:

What "internet" you mean?

XB focused sites? Forums full of people that don't know what they are talking about (like here)?

Nowhere in the internet people should be able to tell you the PS5 SSD will make up for its lower specs, as we simply don't know.

Now when you have people actually working with it saying it, it might be worth taking notice, but only believe it when you see it.

As of now the gap is in XSX favor and that's undisputed.

What we are doing here is wondering how much can actually be done for games on each platform.

If the PS5 SSD is such a big deal to outweight it that will be quite surprising for me, for example, as I don't understand how much it and the console being designed around it can mean for game development.

But if it does not, discussion around how much the system and games can benefit from it is still good discusion regardless.

People are too extreme, either the PS5 sucks or the PS5 SSD is a miracle technology that makes the XSX obsolete... that's not how things work.

Can't we be excited about those consoles without needing to try to prove how much it have to take away from the other?

Reddit, Youtube but especially tech sites that aren’t governed by gaming bias. The ssd can load things faster but the graphics and processing  ceiling is simply lower then Series X. Im not a tech guy but that’s the general sentiment. 

You speaking a lot of sense and practicality, but unfortunately you can’t speak for the fans as a whole. It’s human nature to create rivalries among each other. More importantly you can’t expect the internet to “wait and see games in action to make an informed consensus”. We bicker and compare with whatever we have and when new news is available the narratives and arguments shift like the wind.

I think it’s unfair for PS fans to mock Xbox for literally years but when the shoe is on the other foot me and others are expected to take some kind of moral high ground? I understand the forum rules and I would never outright mock others here, but I will call out hypocrisy when I see it, as others may call me out on it. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.