By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Staring into the abyss of a world where Nintendo has no games scheduled for release. Edit: The Time of Darkness Has Arrived

SpokenTruth said:
I don't see much reason that BotW2 cannot release this year. This is a sequel, not a new game. The usual Zelda development span does not apply here.

No new game engine, no new combat engine, no new physics engine, no new A.I. engine. no new QA A.I. system, etc...

Very little new art assets, greatly enhanced code and system familiarity, QA A.I. script ready to go. And 3.5 years of dev time?

Seriously, what's a single, solid reason that prevents it from launching this Nov?

I'll give you the long explanation.

No.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
SpokenTruth said:
I don't see much reason that BotW2 cannot release this year. This is a sequel, not a new game. The usual Zelda development span does not apply here.

No new game engine, no new combat engine, no new physics engine, no new A.I. engine. no new QA A.I. system, etc...

Very little new art assets, greatly enhanced code and system familiarity, QA A.I. script ready to go. And 3.5 years of dev time?

Seriously, what's a single, solid reason that prevents it from launching this Nov?

The Zelda team never delivers on time with its 3D console entries, even Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess got delayed.

If BOTW2 releases this year I'll eat my hat.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

SpokenTruth said:
curl-6 said:

The Zelda team never delivers on time with its 3D console entries, even Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess got delayed.

If BOTW2 releases this year I'll eat my hat.

I'd say any reuse of material due to it being a direct sequel would be counterbalanced by the added workload of HD tier vs Wii-tier development.

I simply can't see BOTW2 realistically arriving this year, not with the team's track record. I'd love to be wrong but I'm certain I won't be.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

I do support Spoke truth notion about the BOTW 2 release schedule. It's development will be considerably shorter than what we got with the first game. Their mastered the engine a while ago, the game will sensibly be on the same map with new elements. With ain't to see delays due to usual mishappenings like when they go on to a new game.
This is familiar territory for them.
Even like I said before, at best, we're talking about a Holiday release, at worst, it'll be around March.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Don't worry, its only going to be much worse, when new consoles come, switch will have no more third party games, the power difference will be far too massive. Same as comparing a Gameboy against a ps2

Around the Network
victor83fernandes said:

Don't worry, its only going to be much worse, when new consoles come, switch will have no more third party games, the power difference will be far too massive. Same as comparing a Gameboy against a ps2

This has nothing to do with third party games being ported. It's about Nintendo starving its fans of information about their first party release schedule.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
SpokenTruth said:

I'd say any reuse of material due to it being a direct sequel would be counterbalanced by the added workload of HD tier vs Wii-tier development.

I simply can't see BOTW2 realistically arriving this year, not with the team's track record. I'd love to be wrong but I'm certain I won't be.

That development group has made:

New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Pikmin 3
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario Maker
Splatoon
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Wii Fit U
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Arms
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Super Mario Maker 2
Animal Crossing: New Horizons

I hardly think they are new to HD assets.

SpokenTruth said:
curl-6 said:

New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Pikmin 3
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario Maker
Splatoon
Wii Fit U
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Arms
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Maker 2

I didn't say they weren't used to it, just that making a much more complex game naturally takes more work.

Anyway, we'll see; I'd saw off my right ear with a rusty knife to get BOTW2 this year, but I really can't see it happening. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly wear that in my sig for a month or something.

curl-6 said:
SpokenTruth said:

New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Pikmin 3
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario Maker
Splatoon
Wii Fit U
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Arms
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Maker 2

I didn't say they weren't used to it, just that making a much more complex game naturally takes more work.

Anyway, we'll see; I'd saw off my right ear with a rusty knife to get BOTW2 this year, but I really can't see it happening. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly wear that in my sig for a month or something.

Aaaaaaand Bookmarked.

KLXVER said:
Well if we disregard third parties, then both the PS4 and XB1 has had similar droughts. XB1 has probably had even worse ones.

I was thinking something similar.
Sure, third party games don't count towards a first party release schedule. But because of third party games I've never noticed a drought. For PS4 there's Resident Evil 3, Final Fantasy 7 and Persona 5 Royal in the next few weeks for example, so it's not like Sony only having Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2 left for the year is something that I consider. And Switch's third party situation is much better than WiiU's.

But if you much prefer the first party games, then a drought can be an issue. Though Nintendo is just one company, albeit a very big one. I don't think it's fair to expect them to never have gaps in their schedule. It's not like any other one single company does better on that front.

Last edited by Hiku - on 19 March 2020