Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Staring into the abyss of a world where Nintendo has no games scheduled for release. Edit: The Time of Darkness Has Arrived

RolStoppable said:
NightlyPoe said:

And conciseness is not a sin or a dirty trick.  However, ignoring a whole post (committing a greater sin than the one you accuse me of) because of a pretend issue is.

I accuse you of selective quoting because your rebuttal brings up points that have already been covered by my previous two posts. That's what selective quoting is for: Removal of arguments to the contrary to strengthen one's own position in the eyes of casual observers who don't pay close attention.

Umm, where?  Most of your posts other than what I highlighted were defending Nintendo from a marketing standpoint.  An issue I wasn't interested in and didn't touch on.  My post mostly challenged you on your contention that Nintendo has already "slapped" people who doubted them this year when all they've done since this thread started is date Xenoblade and announce Clubhouse Games and Origami King.  A contention I don't see you defending at all in the last two posts.

You've already made your choice that Nintendo's silence means they don't have the goods. This is one of those threads where time makes more converts than reason, so I consider it a waste of time to reiterate what I've said yesterday when you and others can simply scroll up to read those two posts.

My other point was that Nintendo's silence means that, unlikely moonshot aside, Nintendo doesn't have time to release a reasonable slate of games in the time they have remaining in the year.  With July ending, and assuming an absolute minimum of a month before releasing a game of substance (more realistically 2 months for anything new), the window for releasing games in time for the Holidays is already down to about 90 days, with the window shrinking with each passing week without any announcements.

You did not address that the logistical side of there just not being enough time for a solid release slate at all.  Closest you come (in a separate post, which is strange you demand I quote) is suggesting that Nintendo might voluntarily skip releasing games in what will probably be the system's peak year with their audience because they suddenly care about what Microsoft and Sony are doing next year.

Around the Network

Perhaps Rol is right. Maybe Nintendo is just sitting back watching the Switch fly off the shelves, and going... "Well shit, we could release or announce more games, but why do that when we could just hold off until Switch sales dip below 300K a week? The second Switch is finally back in stock at most retailers we can quickly release another system seller and watch it fly off shelves again! Mwhahahahahahahahaha!!!"

The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Perhaps Rol is right. Maybe Nintendo is just sitting back watching the Switch fly off the shelves, and going... "Well shit, we could release or announce more games, but why do that when we could just hold off until Switch sales dip below 300K a week? The second Switch is finally back in stock at most retailers we can quickly release another system seller and watch it fly off shelves again! Mwhahahahahahahahaha!!!"

I don't know if you are serious or not but Switch does still have severe stock issues all over the world. Another game that can push hardware sales would be very much overkill.

German YouTuber and Streamer:
StarCraft and Fallout 4 currently.

Me trying to write reviews:
Octopath Traveler

Amazon thread

I'm pretty confident (at this point) a Full Direct will be held in early September.
We just need to wait a bit more.

I’m a real gamer, so I will always have something to play on the Switch. You should be the same.

Around the Network
Marth said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I don't know if you are serious or not but Switch does still have severe stock issues all over the world. Another game that can push hardware sales would be very much overkill.

I'm serious though. It doesn't make any sense to advertise or do anything to push sales, when you can't keep up with the demand you already have. I'm sure sales will dip below 300K a week by Jan 2021. If Feb-May 2021 has 0 to 1 big new titles from Nintendo, that's when I'll start to worry.

The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

Stellar_Fungk said:
I’m a real gamer, so I will always have something to play on the Switch. You should be the same.

Well said, real gamer.

Stellar_Fungk said:

That's a pretty ridiculous assumption. What if you've played hundreds of games in your life on over a dozen different consoles? That would certainly reduce some of the third-party possibilities on Switch. And some people would rather drop $60 on one exciting new game to play than buying cheaper games just to have something to play. 

And even if Switch has plenty of quality first and third-party games, there's a ton of bloat and shovelware. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

PS4: 130 mil (was 100 million) Xbox One: 55 mil (was 50 mil) Switch: 110 million (was 73, then 96 million)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Cerebralbore101 said:
Marth said:

I'm serious though. It doesn't make any sense to advertise or do anything to push sales, when you can't keep up with the demand you already have. I'm sure sales will dip below 300K a week by Jan 2021

I feel like I'm stating the obvious, but money from software sales count.  Software is where the real money is after all.  Goosing hardware sales for a couple weeks in March is nice and all, but ignoring the supercharged sales environment an entire holiday cycle for it is a rather self-destructive strategy that could potentially cost Nintendo $10s (even $100s) of millions.

If Feb-May 2021 has 0 to 1 big new titles from Nintendo, that's when I'll start to worry.

So, we're officially lowering the bar to Nintendo releasing a single big title over the next 10 months to when we can start to worry?

Last edited by NightlyPoe - on 01 August 2020

Wman1996 said:

Some people would rather drop $60 on one exciting new game to play than buying cheaper games just to have something to play.

Hollow Knight costs $10 and is far more exciting than 95% of the $60 games out there, by the way.