By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Staring into the abyss of a world where Nintendo has no games scheduled for release. Edit: The Time of Darkness Has Arrived

Looking gorward to the upcoming Hyrule Warriors game!

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Signalstar said:
Well this thread was entertaining but is now obsolete. Nintendo have several Switch games announced for the rest of 2020 (Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D All Stars, Mario Kart Live Home Circuit, Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity) and even has a game dated for February 2021 (Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury).

What was it all for? Was it really that bad not knowing? After a long drought of not knowing they revealed several games in quick succession.

All rereleases, games not developed by Nintendo, and weird stuff like Home Circuit.

Until Nintendo has a new high profile Nintendo developed game for holidays 2020 this thread isn't obsolete.

Are you actually being serious? They have four games coming out between now and November on top of all the third party stuff. Just because those games aren't high profile enough for you doesn't mean they aren't for other people. Nintendo clearly thinks Hyrule Warriors is high profile enough for Christmas. Couple that with 3D all-stars 🤷🏻‍♂️

Signalstar said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

All rereleases, games not developed by Nintendo, and weird stuff like Home Circuit.

Until Nintendo has a new high profile Nintendo developed game for holidays 2020 this thread isn't obsolete.

404 Error. Argument not found.

KLXVER said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Apples and Oranges. I facepalmed when reading that.

And I own a ton of 3rd party games on Switch. Well over 70 at this point.

Yeah, the PS5 with the great Sony game.....Spider-Man DLC and for the XSX the excellent MS game.......... 

Miles Morales isn't DLC, but a standalone game. It isn't coming to PS4, so it can't be DLC for 2018's Spiderman.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Sony and MS are both releasing entirely new consoles in the midst of this. Why can't Nintendo release a single new Nintendo developed game?

Smash Bros. Ultimate, Luigi's Mansion 3, Yoshi's Crafted World, Pokemon Let's Go, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Pokemon Sword and Shield, Mario Tennis Aces, Kirby Star Allies, Astral Chain, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle...

My favorite Nintendo-developed games. 

Yeah, sorry I thought I made it clear that I was including games that were made using Nintendo IPs, that Nintendo contracted 2nd or 3rd party studios to make. Since I already talked about that in a previous post, I didn't feel the need to elaborate further. It should be just a few posts up from when I quoted signalstar. And yes, Age of Calamity definitely fits that bill. However that's still only 2-3 big, new, non-port, Nintendo games for 2020 (Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, and Age of Calamity). Even 2018 had Star Allies, Mario Tennis, Smash, Let's Go, and Torna. BTW, I'd like to add in that I'm being overly generous to both years here.  Personally, I don't think Paper Mario, Star Allies, or Mario Tennis are worth picking up. I'll definitely be picking up Age of Calamity, for the story content, but I'm not sure if I'm going to actually enjoy the game, or just slog through it for more Zelda Lore.

Anyway, my main point here is that there's no denying that 2020 has Nintendo Switch's weakest yearly lineup yet. Right in the middle of the console's life cycle. And that is a problem.

P.S. If Nintendo were to shadow drop two more big games, with a definite 2020 release date, like Poke'mon Snap (with 3x the length of the original), or a new F-Zero, or a 2D Metroid with AAA production values, I'd actually be pretty satisfied with Switch's 2020. But I see two high quality Nintendo games being announced for 2020 as a very unlikely occurrence right now. I give it 70% odds that Age of Calamity is Nintendo's only big new Holiday title.

Marth said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Sony and MS are both releasing entirely new consoles in the midst of this. Why can't Nintendo release a single new Nintendo developed game?

And how is the first party lineup for those new consoles?

1. I don't know how much manpower it takes to design, and release a console, but I'd be willing to bet that it's more than it takes to create a new AAA game for Switch.

2. This isn't a fair comparison. Neither of those two consoles will be out for more than two months in 2020.

3. Sony has actually done very well this year with it's first and 2nd party content. They gave us Dreams, TLoU2, GoT, and are on track to give us Miles Morales. That's four games that are all bigger than anything Nintendo has this year, other than Animal Crossing. I bet you're going to reply to this by saying that those games were mostly done before coronavirus hit. And my response to that is, Why didn't Nintendo have a bunch of games nearly finished before Coronavirus hit? After all if Sony can get all those new games out despite a virus, with PS4 level graphics, why couldn't Nintendo do the same with Switch level graphics? Developing on Switch is easier so the way I see it, Nintendo doesn't have excuses.

JSG87 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Are you actually being serious? They have four games coming out between now and November on top of all the third party stuff. Just because those games aren't high profile enough for you doesn't mean they aren't for other people. Nintendo clearly thinks Hyrule Warriors is high profile enough for Christmas. Couple that with 3D all-stars 🤷🏻‍♂️

Wow. I'm still blown away that people are actually trying to count a low effort compilation, or old Wii U ports, in a list war to defend Nintendo. Had you read the OP, you'd understand that 3rd party isn't relevant for this discussion.

RolStoppable said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

The funniest thing is that you quoted the original post of this thread a few days ago, so you should know that in-house development is not a requirement for Nintendo's release schedule. Heck, the OP was even generous enough to include the publishing duties for Bravely Default II in the west, and that's something that I wouldn't count as Nintendo content.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars
Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
Cadence of Hyrule (physical release of a complete edition)
Pikmin 3 Deluxe
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

That's six Nintendo games with confirmed release dates now, four of which within the next three months; five if Cadence of Hyrule gets included (smart people do because physical is where it's at). Super Mario 35 could also be included, but that's part of Nintendo Switch Online just like all the monthly NES and SNES games which nobody counts.

You are correct though, this thread won't be obsolete. It has been the go-to place for whining for months and the well of tears won't be dry anytime soon. There are still goalposts that need to be moved too.

I'd rather be objective than praise Nintendo for a year full of low effort ports, expensive remote controlled cars, and a Zelda spin-off. Also, what the hell is this about Cadence of Hyrule suddenly counting because it has a physical release? That's textbook goalpost moving right there. But please continue to project your own logical fallacies onto me. ;)

Cerebore mentioned Dreams as a title bigger than everything Ninty has released except Animal Crossing lol. Lmao I don't know why Marth would even waste his time.

Around the Network
xPhenom08x said:
Cerebore mentioned Dreams as a title bigger than everything Ninty has released except Animal Crossing lol. Lmao I don't know why Marth would even waste his time.

It's pretty well understood around here that when people say big, they are referring to sales. This is a sales tracking site after all. Dreams sold 8.5 million. So it actually is a bigger game than anything else Nintendo has put out this year.

Edit: And no, rereleases don't count. The discussion between Marth and me had to do with new games, not old stuff. He was asking what new games PS5 and XB1 had this year.

Welcome to the site BTW!

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 08 September 2020

Cerebralbore101 said:
xPhenom08x said:

It's pretty well understood around here that when people say big, they are referring to sales. This is a sales tracking site after all. Dreams sold 8.5 million. So it actually is a bigger game than anything else Nintendo has put out this year.

Edit: And no, rereleases don't count. The discussion between Marth and me had to do with new games, not old stuff. He was asking what new games PS5 and XB1 had this year.

Welcome to the site BTW!

We have sales for any of those games besides Animal Crossing? I doubt sales of first party games is the game you want to play lol. 

Edit: Talk about making a fool of yourself lmao! If Dreams is big then is Clubhouse Games.

Last edited by xPhenom08x - on 08 September 2020

Cerebralbore101 said:
xPhenom08x said:

Welcome to the site BTW!

Where the hell do you get 8.5 million from for Dreams

Cerebralbore101 said:
xPhenom08x said:

Welcome to the site BTW!

Oh boy...

Get ready to use these words: "I made a mistake. I was wrong."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Cerebralbore101 said:
xPhenom08x said:

Welcome to the site BTW!

Where in the world did you get that 8.5m sales figure for Dreams? The game didn't even crack the Top 20 in its first month of release in NPD charts.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/03/13/dreams-ps4-sales-fail-to-crack-february-2020s-npd-list/

Meanwhile Animal Crossing New Horizons has shipped 22.4m as of the end of June, 2020. o.O