By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Staring into the abyss of a world where Nintendo has no games scheduled for release. Edit: The Time of Darkness Has Arrived

Haven't posted here in years ..

And this thread is an example of why I don't do it anymore... a few users trying so hard to make a clown out of themselves.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Around the Network

Whoops. Google gave me the following feedback when I asked it how many copies Dreams sold...

How many copies did dreams sell?
8.5 million copies
Not only did it sell 8.5 million copies and drive 60 million digital downloads of costumes and other add-ons by 2012 (which likely represents, in back-of-napkin math, $300+ million in revenue for Sony), but Sack Boy became a much-needed mascot for the Playstation brand.Apr 26, 2019

Dreams is the most important game in a decade - Fast Company

https://www.fastcompany.com/90338788/dreams-is-the-most-important-new-game-in-a-decade

Even without Dreams, my point stands. Sony is managing to do much more than Nintendo in a Coronavirus year.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Whoops. Google gave me the following feedback when I asked it how many copies Dreams sold...

8.5 million copies
Not only did it sell 8.5 million copies and drive 60 million digital downloads of costumes and other add-ons by 2012 (which likely represents, in back-of-napkin math, $300+ million in revenue for Sony), but Sack Boy became a much-needed mascot for the Playstation brand.Apr 26, 2019

https://www.fastcompany.com/90338788/dreams-is-the-most-important-new-game-in-a-decade

So now its Tlou2, GoT, and Miles Morales vs. Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, and Hyrule Warriors. Thats about the type of output I would expect from both companies and I'm sure Ninty is just as proud of their line up as Sony is with theirs.

trunkswd said:
xPhenom08x said:

We have sales for any of those games besides Animal Crossing? I doubt sales of first party games is the game you want to play lol. 

Edit: Talk about making a fool of yourself lmao! If Dreams is big then is Clubhouse Games.

Just dropping in to say, welcome to VGChartz!

Thank you!

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Even without Dreams, my point stands. Sony is managing to do much more than Nintendo in a Coronavirus year.

No they aren't, both have 3 new games but one of them also has tons of first party ports. We both know which set of 3 new games will sell more also.

Cerebralbore101 said:

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Smash Bros. Ultimate, Luigi's Mansion 3, Yoshi's Crafted World, Pokemon Let's Go, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Pokemon Sword and Shield, Mario Tennis Aces, Kirby Star Allies, Astral Chain, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle...

My favorite Nintendo-developed games. 

Yeah, sorry I thought I made it clear that I was including games that were made using Nintendo IPs, that Nintendo contracted 2nd or 3rd party studios to make. Since I already talked about that in a previous post, I didn't feel the need to elaborate further. It should be just a few posts up from when I quoted signalstar. And yes, Age of Calamity definitely fits that bill. However that's still only 2-3 big, new, non-port, Nintendo games for 2020 (Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, and Age of Calamity). Even 2018 had Star Allies, Mario Tennis, Smash, Let's Go, and Torna. BTW, I'd like to add in that I'm being overly generous to both years here.  Personally, I don't think Paper Mario, Star Allies, or Mario Tennis are worth picking up. I'll definitely be picking up Age of Calamity, for the story content, but I'm not sure if I'm going to actually enjoy the game, or just slog through it for more Zelda Lore.

Anyway, my main point here is that there's no denying that 2020 has Nintendo Switch's weakest yearly lineup yet. Right in the middle of the console's life cycle. And that is a problem.

P.S. If Nintendo were to shadow drop two more big games, with a definite 2020 release date, like Poke'mon Snap (with 3x the length of the original), or a new F-Zero, or a 2D Metroid with AAA production values, I'd actually be pretty satisfied with Switch's 2020. But I see two high quality Nintendo games being announced for 2020 as a very unlikely occurrence right now. I give it 70% odds that Age of Calamity is Nintendo's only big new Holiday title.

I mean, I can only reply to what is written in your post. And it doesn't even make sense - because you replied not one, but two separate times denying Hyrule Warriors 2 as a significant release because it wasn't developed by Nintendo. 

"All rereleases, games not developed by Nintendo, and weird stuff like Home Circuit."

"Sony and MS are both releasing entirely new consoles in the midst of this. Why can't Nintendo release a single new Nintendo developed game?"

So I'm not sure what your criteria is, it's inconsitent. You could have just said that from your perspective, only one valid game was announced, but instead you chose to throw it under the bus even though it fit your criteria. 

By the way, it really doesn't take too much effort to guess that Dreams didn't sell 8.5 million units - generally when a game gets in the millions of sales, the most you hear about it isn't how it "paid tribute" to Nintendo 64 games by ripping them off. 

xPhenom08x said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

8.5 million copies

So now its Tlou2, GoT, and Miles Morales vs. Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, and Hyrule Warriors. Thats about the type of output I would expect from both companies and I'm sure Ninty is just as proud of their line up as Sony is with theirs.

Like I said before, Nintendo's games a much easier to make, since Switch isn't as graphically powerful as PS4. So this still makes Nintendo look bad. Also, Nintendo isn't releasing a new next gen game console in 2020.

Cerebralbore101 said:
xPhenom08x said:

Like I said before, Nintendo's games a much easier to make, since Switch isn't as graphically powerful as PS4. So this still makes Nintendo look bad. Also, Nintendo isn't releasing a new next gen game console in 2020.

Keep moving that goalposts bud, meanwhile the rest of the world will continue to buy Switch consoles and Switch games at record rates with that weak line up. Boy does Nintendo look bad. 

Cerebralbore101 said:

Anyway, my main point here is that there's no denying that 2020 has Nintendo Switch's weakest yearly lineup yet. Right in the middle of the console's life cycle. And that is a problem.

1. I don't know how much manpower it takes to design, and release a console, but I'd be willing to bet that it's more than it takes to create a new AAA game for Switch.

2. This isn't a fair comparison. Neither of those two consoles will be out for more than two months in 2020.

3. Sony has actually done very well this year with it's first and 2nd party content. They gave us Dreams, TLoU2, GoT, and are on track to give us Miles Morales. That's four games that are all bigger than anything Nintendo has this year, other than Animal Crossing. I bet you're going to reply to this by saying that those games were mostly done before coronavirus hit. And my response to that is, Why didn't Nintendo have a bunch of games nearly finished before Coronavirus hit? After all if Sony can get all those new games out despite a virus, with PS4 level graphics, why couldn't Nintendo do the same with Switch level graphics? Developing on Switch is easier so the way I see it, Nintendo doesn't have excuses.

Nintendo's first party games are developed in Japan and I have seen people saying that Japanese companies are being hit harder by corona since their workers are far less capable of working from home and if that is the case Nintendo will be hurt by this more than Sony and Microsoft. This isn't to say it excuses things completely but it is something.