By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Staring into the abyss of a world where Nintendo has no games scheduled for release. Edit: The Time of Darkness Has Arrived

Cobretti2 said:
happens every generation/ strong start then death by falling off a cliff

Random_Matt said:
Sounds normal.

Nintendo as usual.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
javi741 said:

Damn it's really gonna be August and we STILL don't know shit about what's happening this Holiday season. At this point this Covid-19 excuse isn't going to work anymore on why Nintendo hasn't said anything, they should already know whether or not a game will release in 2020 or not this late in the game, and any game slated for 2020 at this point should be pretty much complete for the most part, Nintendo not unveiling anything at this point is unjustifiable.

Has there ever been a year for Nintendo where it was August and we still didn't know what games were releasing for the Holiday season?

No but there also has never been a year with such a pandemic that resulted in lockdown and quarantine. I don't see how you can just arbitrarily decide Covid-19 is no longer relevant when it hasn't gone away. Nintendo wants to be absolutely certain a game will release when they announce it, that's fair enough. Ultimately what matters is not when they announce games but if they have any, and it's safe to say they will I think.

curl-6 said:
Jumpin said:

If you would have actually read my post, you would have seen this stuff has already been addressed.

1. Nintendo's a business, it's just ignorant to think they're going to sacrifice their business goals to serve your over-dramatic curiosity. Your whining in our forum has zero percent chance of changing that. And YES you SHOULD understand how their business works, because your real problem is not something Nintendo has done, but your misunderstanding of their business, even when I have explained it to you in more than sufficient detail.

2. You've seen this point you keep making repeatedly disproven, month after month. You keep going on about a drought that never existed. How long is this going to have to go on before you understand that unannounced does not = non-existence?

3. And what you're actually saying is "Nintendo should abandon their 85 billion yen (800 million USD) marketing strategy that has helped lead them to some of the greatest success in company history because "I'm curious and very dramatic." That's quite far from "not asking for much" - it's asking them to cannibalize sales and potentially cost them billions of USD in value for mismanagement. But again, all of this is explained in detail above.

Again, August 6th is their next fiscal report release; their plans will be in section 3. There's a good chance they're having a Direct before that. Since Nintendo has been only announcing quarterly plans, you're going to get July through end of September. Furukawa says Nintendo has no plans for major events this year, they are continuously announcing new stuff (which you can see on the Nintendo websites, their youtube channel, the Nintendo EShop, and the Nintendo Switch News Channel app), and while they will continue using directs to convey certain information, they are looking at new methods - IMO, Directs have run their course, and I've maintained this for some time now (probably close to two years now; Fuck you Smash fans =P) - and I think Nintendo knew this for some time too, but it's official as of this year after the last shareholder Q&A - it seems they're phasing them out; I don't know if treehouse events will work, they sound great on paper, but apparently the last one was a disaster - unfortunate, I LOVED the treehouse event for Breath of the Wild.

1. Announcements of future games and updates on upcoming ones does not cannibalize games already out, that's bullshit.

2. Their sales are high now because of Animal Crossing broaching new demographics and the pandemic boost, NOT because of them keeping their fans in the dark. Sharing news would only give more consumers more incentive to buy a Switch.

3. The idea that less info on upcoming games = more sales is utterly ridiculous.

4. And there's basically zero chance we're getting a Direct before August 6th, nor will they make any announcements there, just watch, it'll be the same hollow PR as always with cliches about "reaching new audiences" and "seeking new ways to engage with our customers" while offering nothing of substance.

1. Market cannibalization is a well documented phenomenon. While sometimes it is necessary to disrupt competitors, in cases like the Switch where Nintendo has carved out a very large (and growing) niche for itself, such strategies are not only unnecessary, but just needlessly lowering sales. There is absolutely no reason to draw attention to future products. Sure, you state the concept of market cannibalization is bullshit, but where's your argument?

2. Incorrect on the first point. Covid lockdowns didn't begin until the end of the quarter, Nintendo's sales were way up before that. Additionally, Animal Crossing didn't come out until the end of the quarter, and its continued success does not support your point, it supports mine; Nintendo's current strategy is a good one.

3. I've already addressed this. Nintendo has released a fairly continuous stream of info, only it is focused on relevant products rather than focusing on ones that won't be relevant for months/years - like they did in the failing Wii U era.

4. Nintendo's quarterly report was announced for August 6th quite some time ago. You can speculate all you want about what Nintendo's announcements are going to be, and put a negative spin on it all you want, but the only conclusion we can draw from it is that you're a very negative person who prefers to argue with straw man arguments rather than engaging with the facts available.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
curl-6 said:

1. Announcements of future games and updates on upcoming ones does not cannibalize games already out, that's bullshit.

2. Their sales are high now because of Animal Crossing broaching new demographics and the pandemic boost, NOT because of them keeping their fans in the dark. Sharing news would only give more consumers more incentive to buy a Switch.

3. The idea that less info on upcoming games = more sales is utterly ridiculous.

4. And there's basically zero chance we're getting a Direct before August 6th, nor will they make any announcements there, just watch, it'll be the same hollow PR as always with cliches about "reaching new audiences" and "seeking new ways to engage with our customers" while offering nothing of substance.

1. Market cannibalization is a well documented phenomenon. While sometimes it is necessary to disrupt competitors, in cases like the Switch where Nintendo has carved out a very large (and growing) niche for itself, such strategies are not only unnecessary, but just needlessly lowering sales. There is absolutely no reason to draw attention to future products. Sure, you state the concept of market cannibalization is bullshit, but where's your argument?

2. Incorrect on the first point. Covid lockdowns didn't begin until the end of the quarter, Nintendo's sales were way up before that. Additionally, Animal Crossing didn't come out until the end of the quarter, and its continued success does not support your point, it supports mine; Nintendo's current strategy is a good one.

3. I've already addressed this. Nintendo has released a fairly continuous stream of info, only it is focused on relevant products rather than focusing on ones that won't be relevant for months/years - like they did in the failing Wii U era.

4. Nintendo's quarterly report was announced for August 6th quite some time ago. You can speculate all you want about what Nintendo's announcements are going to be, and put a negative spin on it all you want, but the only conclusion we can draw from it is that you're a very negative person who prefers to argue with straw man arguments rather than engaging with the facts available.

New software announcements increases interest in the hardware, more hardware sales means more people to buy existing games. The idea that updating consumers on future games would hurt sales of existing games is pure bullshit.

Again, I don't give a fuck if they're selling well, that is happening in spite of their ongoing disgusting mistreatment of their fanbase, not because of it. There is zero evidence whatsoever that their lack of communication is in any way helping.

I've been a Nintendo fan for decades and this is the worst they've ever behaved, worse than 2011, worse than 2012, worse than 2016 even. It is fucking unacceptable to leave fans with no dated major games at all.

If you're okay with it, fine, but don't you dare try to tell me I should be okay with it.

In fact, just please stop quoting me, I'm tired of this shit. I'm trying not to be negative, but I just keep getting dragged back into threads like this. I'm depressed, I'm afraid for my life every day, and now I can't even enjoy my favourite hobby, one of the only things that brings me any peace or joy. Just leave me alone, please.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 29 July 2020

curl-6 said:
Jumpin said:

New software announcements increases interest in the hardware, more hardware sales means more people to buy existing games. The idea that updating consumers on future games would hurt sales of existing games is pure bullshit.

Again, I don't give a fuck if they're selling well, that is happening in spite of their ongoing disgusting mistreatment of their fanbase, not because of it. There is zero evidence whatsoever that their lack of communication is in any way helping.

I've been a Nintendo fan for 26 years and this is the worst they've ever behaved, worse than 2011, worse than 2012, worse than 2016 even. It is fucking unacceptable to leave fans with no dated major games at all.

If you're okay with it, fine, but don't you dare try to tell me I should be okay with it.

In fact, just please stop quoting me, I'm tired of this shit. I'm trying not to be negative, but I just keep getting dragged back into threads like this. I'm depressed, I'm afraid for my life every day, and now I can't even enjoy my favourite hobby, one of the only things that brings me any peace or joy. Just leave me alone, please.

Sounds like a great time to get a lot of the indie games already available on the system, regardless of whether they push the Switch's graphical capabilities or not. There's also Origami King, which is a small masterpiece.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
javi741 said:

Damn it's really gonna be August and we STILL don't know shit about what's happening this Holiday season. At this point this Covid-19 excuse isn't going to work anymore on why Nintendo hasn't said anything, they should already know whether or not a game will release in 2020 or not this late in the game, and any game slated for 2020 at this point should be pretty much complete for the most part, Nintendo not unveiling anything at this point is unjustifiable.

Has there ever been a year for Nintendo where it was August and we still didn't know what games were releasing for the Holiday season?

No but there also has never been a year with such a pandemic that resulted in lockdown and quarantine. I don't see how you can just arbitrarily decide Covid-19 is no longer relevant when it hasn't gone away. Nintendo wants to be absolutely certain a game will release when they announce it, that's fair enough. Ultimately what matters is not when they announce games but if they have any, and it's safe to say they will I think.

You don't understand, it's already August and for sure Nintendo has at least 1 game planned to release this Holiday Season, at this point it should be pretty much certain the game will release. Stop being content with Nintendo holding back information for this long, it is anti-consumer and we should not enable them to continue doing this. Plus, I never said Covid-19 wasn't relavant, it's still more than relavant but we're at the point where Nintendo should 100% know a game that's releasing this Holiday when they're LITERALLY only 1-3 Months away, just stop, you're the type of person to defend Nintendo for waiting til an hour before a game releases to announce their game. If they're not certain when they're gonna release the game just give us a teaser with no release date to get us excited and give the Switch more clout during the Holiday Season. Stop defending this.

javi741 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

You don't understand, it's already August and for sure Nintendo has at least 1 game planned to release this Holiday Season, at this point it should be pretty much certain the game will release. Stop being content with Nintendo holding back information for this long, it is anti-consumer and we should not enable them to continue doing this. Plus, I never said Covid-19 wasn't relavant, it's still more than relavant but we're at the point where Nintendo should 100% know a game that's releasing this Holiday when they're LITERALLY only 1-3 Months away, just stop, you're the type of person to defend Nintendo for waiting til an hour before a game releases to announce their game. If they're not certain when they're gonna release the game just give us a teaser with no release date to get us excited and give the Switch more clout during the Holiday Season. Stop defending this.

They can hold back information as long as they want, as long as that information is good and there are games to play then whether a game is announced 2 months out from release or 6 months doesn't really matter. You're right, I don't understand why people care so much about this. Say Pikmin 4 were to release this December, what difference does it make if it's announced in October versus July? The game wont be any better or worse for it. After how Paper Mario was announced, it can be expected that Nintendo's other games will be announced the same way so 2 months out.

Sounds like you care more about hype factor rather than the actual game itself. :L

Lonely_Dolphin said:
javi741 said:

They can hold back information as long as they want, as long as that information is good and there are games to play then whether a game is announced 2 months out from release or 6 months doesn't really matter. You're right, I don't understand why people care so much about this. Say Pikmin 4 were to release this December, what difference does it make if it's announced in October versus July? The game wont be any better or worse for it. After how Paper Mario was announced, it can be expected that Nintendo's other games will be announced the same way so 2 months out.

Sounds like you care more about hype factor rather than the actual game itself. :L

Not revealing a game when you don't have anything scheduled at a later date is a bad. Why the fuck would people buy a system when they don't know what games are releasing in the future, revealing a game at a good time before release increases overall awareness for a product since and prepares potential purchasers to have the money to get the game. You're an idiot if you don't understand the simple concept of having more time to unveil and market a game increases the sales and brand awareness of a product since it gets people talking about the game more and more for a longer time. As a Nintendo fan I'm frustrated not to know this information because I want to see the actual game to get myself hyped again about Nintendo and get me excited again not doing this is idiotic. Stop being so content.

I'm planning on writing an article on this, but the issue is that Nintendo is going into their earnings release with no titles and no prospects for the future. They can't really blame COVID because their peers (Sony and Microsoft) have no trouble showing off their upcoming titles. And they can't just get away with "We have numerous titles in development." If they have nothing, then investors should sell the stock because there is no reason to think 2020 can beat 2019, even with the initial boost in sales in April and May (Nintendo still makes most of their money in Calendar Q4).

I think it's one thing for fans to moan and groan. It's another for investor. Nintendo needs to get on the ball and show something, even if they don't think it can make FY 2021. That said, I think there is some massive structural issues that are causing these delays and COVID just revealed them, but perhaps a story for another day.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

VideoGameAccountant said:
I'm planning on writing an article on this, but the issue is that Nintendo is going into their earnings release with no titles and no prospects for the future. They can't really blame COVID because their peers (Sony and Microsoft) have no trouble showing off their upcoming titles. And they can't just get away with "We have numerous titles in development." If they have nothing, then investors should sell the stock because there is no reason to think 2020 can beat 2019, even with the initial boost in sales in April and May (Nintendo still makes most of their money in Calendar Q4).

I think it's one thing for fans to moan and groan. It's another for investor. Nintendo needs to get on the ball and show something, even if they don't think it can make FY 2021. That said, I think there is some massive structural issues that are causing these delays and COVID just revealed them, but perhaps a story for another day.

Actually I'm glad someone mentioned this, because what Sony and Microsoft have shown actually help justify Nintendo's actions.

For Sony, the only upcoming game they have for the holidays is a short standalone-expansion for Spider-Man. It'll probably be good, but it's still only a short experience built upon a previous game.

For Microsoft, their Halo Infinite demo is the perfect example of why you shouldn't reveal or announce any games before they're ready, cause all they've done is hurt expectations for that title. Halo Infinite does not look like a game ready to release this year.

In contrast, if Nintendo feel like they should wait until the last minute to decide what big titles they can realistically have (properly)finished these holidays, I'm more than happy to wait. At least they're making sure whatever they have should be worth the wait.