By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: Xbox "Lockhart" specs leaked, is $300

Mr Puggsly said:
EricHiggin said:

I don't necessarily think that either, but I and quite a few others didn't think XB1SAD was a great idea, yet MS launched it. If the device needed to take some of the brunt of the workload, a cheaper smaller console, made using the most up to date hardware, would make sense. That doesn't mean old XB1 hardware definitely can't make use of xCloud.

I understand the TF performance between archs. I understand that Lockhart as rumored would take the place of XB1X. In which case keeping XB1X on the market makes no sense. In order for it to remain on the market and make sense though, Lockhart would have to be different than what the leaks suggest. I was just making the case as to how it could potentially remain, based on posts about what may happen to it. I don't necessarily think that's going to be the case, as I mentioned earlier.

It's possible all XB1 hardware or newer will be capable of xCloud streaming, but it's also possible that the XB Series hardware will offer you a more reasonable experience and for cheaper. Streaming only on old hardware vs hardware assisted streaming with new hardware would likely be a worthy selling point. I thought you said XB hardware earlier but you said X1 hardware, which wouldn't include XBSX. My mistake.

The X1SAD made sense if it was simply $149, most seemed unhappy with the launch price. A device dedicated to xCloud in comparison might cost $99 bundled with a controller. At that rate, a X1SAD is a better choice.

I'm not sure how hardware assisted streaming works better. I mean having used PS Now, it seems to work great as long as your internet connection is up for the task and wired in to reduce latency. I think hardware assisted streaming is more beneficial when streaming your gameplay out, like for people to watch or maybe to another device. I believe Wii U had unique hardware to seamlessly stream video to the tablet controller.

Then at that rate, why not skip the $99 device and the $149 device for the $199 device? XB1S is an even better choice.

How many people have fast reliable enough internet to stream without issues? If hardware assist can minimize those issues to the point they are negligible, for a cheap enough price, wouldn't that be worth it to many more, instead of not worth it at all?

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The X1SAD made sense if it was simply $149, most seemed unhappy with the launch price. A device dedicated to xCloud in comparison might cost $99 bundled with a controller. At that rate, a X1SAD is a better choice.

I'm not sure how hardware assisted streaming works better. I mean having used PS Now, it seems to work great as long as your internet connection is up for the task and wired in to reduce latency. I think hardware assisted streaming is more beneficial when streaming your gameplay out, like for people to watch or maybe to another device. I believe Wii U had unique hardware to seamlessly stream video to the tablet controller.

Then at that rate, why not skip the $99 device and the $149 device for the $199 device? XB1S is an even better choice.

How many people have fast reliable enough internet to stream without issues? If hardware assist can minimize those issues to the point they are negligible, for a cheap enough price, wouldn't that be worth it to many more, instead of not worth it at all?

Yeah, sure. Either is much better than a unnecessary xCloud only device.

Streaming obviously isn't viable for everybody.

The primary thing you need for smooth cloud streaming is an internet connection up for that task and maybe a wired connection to reduce latency and judder. PS Now works well with my low-mid tier internet plan, which is well above the recommended. Current gen console specs can handle the task.

I find that internet providers are more generous with speeds, but try to make money on bandwidth.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Alot of people are underestimating the price of the Series X. Id expect something like $599 and $699.
This is where the $299 Series S looks attractive, be something like half the price of the Series X.

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

This may come as a shock to you, but most gamers don’t go online to talk about video games. Most don’t care about having the absolute most power. Most casually play games like COD/FIFA/fortnight/Apex legends/GTA5 etc. Gaming isn’t a big part of their lives nor is it part of their identity. It’s just something they do when they got a few hours to kill. 

Core gamers number the least millions of a console consumer base. We are the “whales” of the industry but are far from the majority. We just have our voices heard the loudest because we actively participate in discussion and outreach to the devs. 

If these people just want to play next gen games without the bells and whistles that say the Series X provides, then more power to them. So long as core gamers like me get the Series X I could care less. 

We could debate on what a "core" gamer is, but to me it's anyone who plays the latest AAA games like GTA, COD etc. Maybe not everyone cares or understands anything about the technical specs, but even my 90-year-old granny understands the concept of you get what you pay for. People will automatically assume there's a reason why it's cheaper and that they'll get a compromised version of GTA6 compared to their buddy's on ps5. Truth is we live in a world where teenagers carry $1000 phones with them and nobody knows or cares what kind of hardware is in them. So is $99 really going to make that much of a difference? We also know that the masses are fine with paying at least $399 for a console, so why make it $299?

The only thing that can come from this is that Series X will be an even harder sell. For the first 2 years MS exclusives on Series X will be hold back by going cross-gen with the Xone. And the remainder of the console generation it will be hold back by Series S's gpu that's 3 times weaker. I just don't see how developers could really make good use of something like Ray Tracing if they constantly have to think "Will this work on 4Tflops too?" 

I get why people might think the Series X will be native 4k and Series S will be 1080p. But ask anyone who knows anything about game design and they'll tell you that resolution will have the least priority with a next gen console. Just look at how many games are 720p on Xone. If the only difference between Series X and S will be that it runs the same games at 4 times the resolution (which most people will barely notice), it just means the developers did a crappy job because it could have been 4 times the overall visual fidelity.  

Fact remains the Series S is a upgrade from the base last gen consoles and can undercut the PS5 by at least $200. That’s attractive no matter how you spin it. And if you think it’s too weak for your taste...here’s the Series X. The powerful console made for core gamers. 

You can change the narrative to preserve your own, I guess “one holding back the other” will be an enduring narrative to keep Xbox down in online discussion...every gen has a new line, but this is funny in how reaching it is.

You’d be silly to think that Series X will never have its potential tapped. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

EricHiggin said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Sure we may think it is the better choice.

But certainly there will be many people that would go for "the cheaper the better" since all they want is Xcloud or Gamepass device playing even with all the handicaps. People are satisfied with Switch version of several games that are major downgrades of X1 versions, nevermind X1X.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

We could debate on what a "core" gamer is, but to me it's anyone who plays the latest AAA games like GTA, COD etc. Maybe not everyone cares or understands anything about the technical specs, but even my 90-year-old granny understands the concept of you get what you pay for. People will automatically assume there's a reason why it's cheaper and that they'll get a compromised version of GTA6 compared to their buddy's on ps5. Truth is we live in a world where teenagers carry $1000 phones with them and nobody knows or cares what kind of hardware is in them. So is $99 really going to make that much of a difference? We also know that the masses are fine with paying at least $399 for a console, so why make it $299?

The only thing that can come from this is that Series X will be an even harder sell. For the first 2 years MS exclusives on Series X will be hold back by going cross-gen with the Xone. And the remainder of the console generation it will be hold back by Series S's gpu that's 3 times weaker. I just don't see how developers could really make good use of something like Ray Tracing if they constantly have to think "Will this work on 4Tflops too?" 

I get why people might think the Series X will be native 4k and Series S will be 1080p. But ask anyone who knows anything about game design and they'll tell you that resolution will have the least priority with a next gen console. Just look at how many games are 720p on Xone. If the only difference between Series X and S will be that it runs the same games at 4 times the resolution (which most people will barely notice), it just means the developers did a crappy job because it could have been 4 times the overall visual fidelity.  

Fact remains the Series S is a upgrade from the base last gen consoles and can undercut the PS5 by at least $200. That’s attractive no matter how you spin it. And if you think it’s too weak for your taste...here’s the Series X. The powerful console made for core gamers. 

You can change the narrative to preserve your own, I guess “one holding back the other” will be an enduring narrative to keep Xbox down in online discussion...every gen has a new line, but this is funny in how reaching it is.

If Series X's potential will be tapped totally depends on the developers and which console they'll use as the base platform. If that would be Series S, we will just get native 4k and/or more fps on Series X. However, if Series X was the lead, developers would be able to completely optimize their games for 12Tflops while aiming for 1440p and 30fps. The games would simply look a ton better. 

IT's weird man. On one hand I'm totally excited that MS is launching a 12Tflops console, but they keep dampening my excitement with every announcement they've made afterwards. It's almost as if they don't want people to buy the Series X lol. I mean having a $599 beast of a console that plays the same games as the $299 Lockhard or a $100 Xone, just better, isn't going to get many people excited over Series X and next gen gaming in general. 

There's almost no way a weaker version of the Xbox Series X could be outperformed in some ways by the Xbox One X. With the Xbox One still getting support for the next several years, that would make the Lockhart nearly pointless.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

If Series X's potential will be tapped totally depends on the developers and which console they'll use as the base platform. If that would be Series S, we will just get native 4k and/or more fps on Series X. However, if Series X was the lead, developers would be able to completely optimize their games for 12Tflops while aiming for 1440p and 30fps. The games would simply look a ton better. 

IT's weird man. On one hand I'm totally excited that MS is launching a 12Tflops console, but they keep dampening my excitement with every announcement they've made afterwards. It's almost as if they don't want people to buy the Series X lol. I mean having a $599 beast of a console that plays the same games as the $299 Lockhard or a $100 Xone, just better, isn't going to get many people excited over Series X and next gen gaming in general. 

Yup, that’s a beautiful narrative that will last until Sony makes a PS5 Pro. Even when Xbox One support stops you all ready have a backup narrative for Xbox being held back in that you will solely blame Lockhart. 

Guess we have to have gameplay comparisons to prove you wrong. This speculation is far too easy to feed off of.  

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Yup, that’s a beautiful narrative that will last until Sony makes a PS5 Pro. Even when Xbox One support stops you all ready have a backup narrative for Xbox being held back in that you will solely blame Lockhart. 

Guess we have to have gameplay comparisons to prove you wrong. This speculation is far too easy to feed off of.  

There's not much to speculate if this new Lockhart news is real. It would be like MS releasing the 1X version 4 years to early and the 4Tflops Series S will be their actual next gen console. Maybe 12Flops is a bit crazy, but I would be seriously disappointed if they would officially announce the ps5 and it will be 4Tflops. I would much rather have seen 2 "normal" next gen consoles at 9TFlops and the 4k pro versions a couple years later.  

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

There's not much to speculate if this new Lockhart news is real. It would be like MS releasing the 1X version 4 years to early and the 4Tflops Series S will be their actual next gen console. Maybe 12Flops is a bit crazy, but I would be seriously disappointed if they would officially announce the ps5 and it will be 4Tflops. I would much rather have seen 2 "normal" next gen consoles at 9TFlops and the 4k pro versions a couple years later.  

Lol is this post ironic or did you just give me a sample of said narrative? Ideally the Series X is the base and everything scales down. It’s quite simple, why would they go through all this trouble of advertising the thing if it won’t have its potential tapped?  But I’m sure you got your pre selected responses ready for that question.