By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NPD: Percentages of US Switch owners that own PS4/Xbone/both/neither

DonFerrari said:
Nu-13 said:

A surreal comparison, given that ferraris are luxury items that cost many times more than standard cars. Switch, ps4 and x1 catter to the same market, competing for the money of people who play videogames.

Saying that only 30% or less of switch owners don't own a different console is like saying that only 1% of ps4 owners don't own a different console because they bought a wii/ps3/x360 the gen prior.

Would you be more pleased if we would be comparing compact cars with SUVs on the same price range? It would be same case as this one. There may be some that will like both or none, some that will own both, etc. But essentially they go for different crowd.

Smartphones also compete for the money of people who play videogames (as do movies and several other products) still they don't directly compete.

Call PR from all 3 companies (no idea why they would all recognize Wii, WiiU and Switch as not directly competing with PS and Xbox but would also recognize that PS and Xbox directly compete), but sure call BS from all companies and you the holder of knowledge.

30% of Switch owners don't have same gen consoles from Sony or MS, probably they have some console from previous gen (be it Nintendo or others). You are drawing a false parallel when going from same gen to previous gen. But as I said I won't entertain the same conversation with you.

Reality is what it is. Cherrypicking PR or mentioning inexistent ones doesn't help.

0% of switch owners have another same gen console. False parallel? The fuck? How much explanation do you need? People owning a previous gen system and moving on to the switch =/= than people choosing between same gen systems and maybe getting a second one later.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

We simply don't have the data, at least not here or that I've seen, to proclaim Switch is a typically a "secondary" console. These numbers only say there is a lot of overlap, but that doesn't tell us which of the multiple systems is the secondary.

Last gen I owned an Xbox 360 and a Wii, but the 360 was my secondary console.

Thus why I ammended on a reply.

For people that prefer PS/Xbox exclusives or multiplats Switch is likely the secondary, for people that prefer Nintendo exclusives and don't care as much for multiplats or exclusives from other platforms Switch is the primary.

The main point wasn't that. It was that Switch isn't a direct competitor (30% standalone Switch owner), that if you were to look overlap between PS and Xbox you would probably get less than 20% owners having both (just look at the quantity that own all three, very small compare to even S+X or S+P)

I actually agree that Switch isn't directly competing, in the same way that a motorbike isn't competing directly against family cars for sales even though they both drive on the road.

Heck, in a lot of cases there may not even be a clear-cut primary or secondary, some folks might use both fairly equally.

I myself am a PS gamer, but I own a Switch as a secondary for Nintendo titles.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Every system is a primary system but all I will say is that the industry depends on the PS4 for the majority of game sales & releases. I imagine this skews similarly for those in ownership of both systems.

The switch is a great place for Nintendo games and indie titles, but the indies also succeed on the other platforms too.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
DonFerrari said:

That is because you were always more of a Nintendo gamer than anything else. Nothing wrong with it.

Except this isn't true.  I was very much into PS1 and PS2 and skipped over N64 and mostly skipped Gamecube too.  I also really liked the PS3.  I just don't particularly care for PS4 and if Sony doesn't change then I probably won't like PS5 either.  Meanwhile Switch is my favorite system since the NES.

Out of curiosity, what do you want Sony to change?

It sounds to me like your taste in gaming has changed versus Sony doing anything wrong. The PS4 is in not much different from PS2/3. Even down to the franchises we see on it.

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
DonFerrari said:

1 - Yes, and since GC most 3rd party haven't gone to Nintendo. On the other hand PS4 and Xbox 1 that compete directly receives the same games.

2 - Yes, but very few own both PS4 and X1, they do Switch because they compliment instead of compete.

3 - Yes, that is why they can be said indirect competitor. Because in the end you also have cellphones and other devices that indirectly compete with console for your gaming or entertainment budget but we don't count them as direct competitor (even when we have seem smartphones as one of the big reasons to diminish sales of 3DS).

4 - They also have a lot of other items on shelf, that doesn't mean these other products directly compete with one another.

Secondary, something you own as complimentary. And sure there are people that have Switch as primary (or WiiU before, etc) and PS/Xbox as secondary. The main point is that since Wii they don't directly compete.

Switch is a very sucesfull HW, have done good sales of SW as well, I own one even though I don't play much because I like other type of games and big screen. Most consumer may not even think on primary or secondary, but they will have a preference.

Not allowed to consider higher ups strategies =p

Just out of interest, what would Switch have to be/do for you to consider it a more direct competitor?

More power? More AAA software? No portability? Steal sales?

Steal notable sales of the same game. The only place the Switch seems to compete is indie games.

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Thus why I ammended on a reply.

For people that prefer PS/Xbox exclusives or multiplats Switch is likely the secondary, for people that prefer Nintendo exclusives and don't care as much for multiplats or exclusives from other platforms Switch is the primary.

The main point wasn't that. It was that Switch isn't a direct competitor (30% standalone Switch owner), that if you were to look overlap between PS and Xbox you would probably get less than 20% owners having both (just look at the quantity that own all three, very small compare to even S+X or S+P)

I actually agree that Switch isn't directly competing, in the same way that a motorbike isn't competing directly against family cars for sales even though they both drive on the road.

Heck, in a lot of cases there may not even be a clear-cut primary or secondary, some folks might use both fairly equally.

Yep, in the case of portability of Switch versus extra power on Xbox and PS, it may be totally common for some folks to use Switch for all portable needs (and the person do it quite regularly) and all home sessions played on Xbox or PS.

I don't know why some think as something negative that Switch isn't competing directly. There is a reason not only Nintendo but a lot of analysts and vgchart people say Nintendo goes by its on rythm, they don't react to what MS or Sony is doing, they do what they are planning and that is it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

curl-6 said:

This seems to me a pretty strong indication that Switch coexists rather than directly competes against PS4/Xbone.

It says right there that to 30% of owners, it's NOT what they're doing. 

I bet Switch/PC is another stat worth exploring.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Otter said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Except this isn't true.  I was very much into PS1 and PS2 and skipped over N64 and mostly skipped Gamecube too.  I also really liked the PS3.  I just don't particularly care for PS4 and if Sony doesn't change then I probably won't like PS5 either.  Meanwhile Switch is my favorite system since the NES.

Out of curiosity, what do you want Sony to change?

It sounds to me like your taste in gaming has changed versus Sony doing anything wrong. The PS4 is in not much different from PS2/3. Even down to the franchises we see on it.

It isn't about franchises.  It's about the quality of the games.  You know the N64 and Gamecube had several of my favorite franchises and I still gave them both a pass.  The quality of the "franchises" dropped.  On top of that the % of original good games also dropped.  The N64 and Gamecube were more powerful than their Playstation competitors and they suffered for it.  Power has all sorts of disadvantages including the effects it has on game development.  High game budgets means fewer games and less risk taking, so there are fewer original games as well.

This time around PS4 is the disappointing console.  All of the Playstation "franchises" I used to love are diminished in some way on the PS4, or they simply don't appear at all.  If you want specifics here they are:

Legend of Dragoon and Okage were RPGs I liked made by SIE themselves.  Does SIE even make RPGs anymore?
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were great games and Sony helped the first one by publishing it in Japan.  Dark Souls 3 is a legitimately great game, but it's also the last Dark Souls game.  Sony doesn't seem to want to fund good Japanese-made games anymore.
Bloodborne sucks.
The Last Guardian is not as good as Shadow of the Colossus, and I don't care that they remastered SoC for PS4.

Uncharted 4 is the best Uncharted, but I only thought this franchise was ok to begin with.
Spider-Man is my favorite PS4 exclusive, but it still isn't as good as Spider-Man 2 on the PS2.
The Last of Us was decent, but a highly overrated game.
God of War is a highly overrated series.

Nier: Automata seemed decent from what I've played, but I haven't picked it up after the first few hours because there are plenty of Switch games I'd rather be playing.
DQ11 I have on the Switch, because it is the definitive edition and also portable.
Undertale is a really good game.  I played it on the PC first, but it's still a really good game.  Deltarune I played on the Switch though.
Valkyria Chronicles 4 I got on the Switch, because it's portable.  Same with Dragon Quest Builders.
Hyrule Warriors is the definitive Warriors game now.  I definitely can't go back to standard Dynasty Warriors anymore.

Katamari Damacy was only good on the PS2, but doesn't even appear on the PS4.
Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my top 5 games of all time.  The sequels got moved to Nintendo handhelds, and then they stopped making them.
Final Fantasy used to be my favorite franchise and my main reason for buying a Playstation console.  Now I don't even care about Final Fantasy, and I know I am not the only fan to say this.  FF15, I played for an hour or so.  The mechanics didn't grab me and the characters didn't either.  

Final Fantasy 7 is my favorite game in my (formerly) favorite series, but they are giving it the Hobbit treatment.  With the Hobbit movies, Hollywood was like, "Hey do you like Lord of the Rings?"  I'm like "Yeah, I love Lord of the Rings."  "Do you like the Hobbit?"  "Yeah I loved that old cartoon movie, and the book was good too."  "Well we are going to give you THREE Hobbit movies!"  "Dammit!"

Three FF7 games is not better.  It's worse.  It's so much worse.  I'm still not sure what I am going to do with this game.  I want to like it, but it seems like it's going to piss me off.  Although the game seems like the perfect conclusion to the whole PS4 experience.  They seem like they are giving me what they want, but they are really just pissing me off.  

The PS4, in general, seems great on the surface.  But a closer inspection reveals that it is hugely disappointing.  For me, at least, it is hugely disappointing.  All of my favorite "franchises" are diminished in some way, and it also lacks new games which are interesting.  I don't know what games the PS5 will have, but if they continue in this direction then it is unlikely I will get one.  At best I will buy one several years from now, when it is cheap, and use it mostly for streaming and Blu-Rays, which is mostly what I do with my PS4 system.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 05 March 2020

Otter said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Just out of interest, what would Switch have to be/do for you to consider it a more direct competitor?

More power? More AAA software? No portability? Steal sales?

Steal notable sales of the same game. The only place the Switch seems to compete is indie games.

That has nothing to do with competition but even if it did, the switch versions of multiplatforms mostly have an easy time outselling the x1 counterparts and some even rival the ps4. That was from when vgc still tracked software and many of those were late ports on a much smaller installed base. You have nothing.

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Yep, in the case of portability of Switch versus extra power on Xbox and PS, it may be totally common for some folks to use Switch for all portable needs (and the person do it quite regularly) and all home sessions played on Xbox or PS.

I don't know why some think as something negative that Switch isn't competing directly. There is a reason not only Nintendo but a lot of analysts and vgchart people say Nintendo goes by its on rythm, they don't react to what MS or Sony is doing, they do what they are planning and that is it.

Quite simple: BECAUSE IT'S NOT TRUE. And it certainly doesn't help that it is the go to excuse used to downplay nintendo's success.