By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NPD: Percentages of US Switch owners that own PS4/Xbone/both/neither

Pyro as Bill said:
DonFerrari said:

I'll do like Socrates and return with a question, are Ferrari and GM direct competitors because both sell cars?

They would need to cater to the same market, It is very hard to defend Switch (or Wii or WiiU) directly competed with  PS360 or PS4X1 when the higher up of the 3 companies say there was direct competition between PS and Xbox and that Nintendo were blue ocean strategy (just look at the folks that bought Wii and never returned to gaming, or now that only 30% of Switch owners don't own a different console).

One day people will accept that there are indirect competitors and replacement products and that isn't something bad about the product in that role when compared with the others. Just as PS X1 would be complimentary to people that like Nintendo first but want to play some third parties Switch is complimentary to who likes to play exclusives of PS or Xbox and 3rd parties but also want to play Nintendo games.

"More power? More AAA software? No portability? Steal sales?"

That's a longwinded way of saying yes.

If Ferrari had a Black Friday sale with 99% discount, would GM lose sales?

If PS4 had a Black Friday sale with 99% discount, would Switch lose sales?

I think some of you are missing the point, intentional or not.

Yes, they are in the same market. Yes, they will influence each others performance.

If I buy new shiny IPad for Christmas , I probably won't buy a PS4 the same Christms.... but owning the iPad does not take away my desire or intention to own the PS4. 

Let's move away from arbitrary point scoring, the discussion beinghad is that switch owners are happy to have the platform co-exist as oppose to one replacing the other. Most people will either buy a PS4 or an Xbox, very few will buy both. This is direct competition.

If people are happy to have both then there is far less direct competition and the products can coexist. All evidence and logic implies this is the case for Switch ownership.

Semantics aside, this is all that is being said.

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
DonFerrari said:

I'll do like Socrates and return with a question, are Ferrari and GM direct competitors because both sell cars?

They would need to cater to the same market, It is very hard to defend Switch (or Wii or WiiU) directly competed with  PS360 or PS4X1 when the higher up of the 3 companies say there was direct competition between PS and Xbox and that Nintendo were blue ocean strategy (just look at the folks that bought Wii and never returned to gaming, or now that only 30% of Switch owners don't own a different console).

One day people will accept that there are indirect competitors and replacement products and that isn't something bad about the product in that role when compared with the others. Just as PS X1 would be complimentary to people that like Nintendo first but want to play some third parties Switch is complimentary to who likes to play exclusives of PS or Xbox and 3rd parties but also want to play Nintendo games.

"More power? More AAA software? No portability? Steal sales?"

That's a longwinded way of saying yes.

If Ferrari had a Black Friday sale with 99% discount, would GM lose sales?

If PS4 had a Black Friday sale with 99% discount, would Switch lose sales?

Seems like you don't know the concept of indirect competition and substitute products.

Because of course if one product can be a replacement (go check Porter competition) and it have a 99% discount it certainly will impact the sales of other products that is is indirect competition or replacement.

If houses had a 99% discount that would affect the purchase of several products because people would do impulse buy and would either them buy stuff for the house or not have as much money available for stuffs that aren't for that house. That doesn't mean house directly compete with PS4 or Switch.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Otter said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Sony's strategy is to rely on third party games more than first party games.  Therefore, if they don't have many compelling third party games than that is mostly their fault.  The fact that their first party games are not particularly compelling is definitely their fault.  The Switch has more interesting third party games, to me at least, than PS4 does.  Some of these, like Octopath Traveler or Mario + Rabbids, are there because of Nintendo's involvement.

I stand by my original statement.  Based on my past track record I have been more loyal to Sony than Nintendo, but if PS5 follows the same direction as PS4 then I don't expect to like PS5 very much.  I might skip it or get it cheap for streaming and Blu-Rays.

From your own words you never liked most of sonys offerings to begin with. Uncharted, GOW, TLU. Games that defined the PS3 which you said you  enjoyed as a platform.

Sonys 1st party output on PS4 is critically (metscritic) higher than on PS3. There was not an abundance of Sony Japan games on PS3 either. 

I'm just pointing out that your distinction between PS4/PS3 is blurry and Sony is about to have one of their best exclusive years in history.

And there are more JRPGs on PS4 compared to switch from everything FF related, to DQ which arrived on playstation much earlier, to persona, to Ni No Kuni 2, Valkyria Chronicles, Tales, Nieh  and dozens of niche titles. Absolutely fine you prefer Switch's library but I don't think that's something for Sony to amend as you're suggesting, they have a very high 1st party output that hasn't changed drastically for decade. You are just more interested in Nintendo.

I don't even know what you are arguing.  I am saying what I like, and you are telling me I am wrong to like that.

I really DID like PS1, PS2 and PS3.  I am not required to like Uncharted, GOW and TLU.  There were about 2000 games on the PS3.  Everyone likes something different.  And even from Sony publishing, they published a lot more than 3 titles on the PS3.  It's so they appeal to different tastes.  My favorite game that they published on the PS3 was Demon's Souls.  It was said to be a niche title at first and after a few years everyone is talking about Dark Souls and is using the phrase, "it's the Dark Souls of _____ games".  In previous generations they published things like Shadow of the Colossus and Legend of the Dragoon.  I tend to like the Japanese style games that they publish, especially when they make enough of them.

But Sony is moving further and further away from Japanese style games.  That is the direction I don't like.  Do I like Nintendo more?  Yes, right now I do.  It wasn't always that way, but yes, now Nintendo is a lot better, and Sony is getting worse and worse.  Sony is becoming more Western focused, and they have huge holes where Final Fantasy and Dark Souls used to be.  Are they going to do anything to make up for that?  That is what I am looking for.

Otter said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Sony's strategy is to rely on third party games more than first party games.  Therefore, if they don't have many compelling third party games than that is mostly their fault.  The fact that their first party games are not particularly compelling is definitely their fault.  The Switch has more interesting third party games, to me at least, than PS4 does.  Some of these, like Octopath Traveler or Mario + Rabbids, are there because of Nintendo's involvement.

I stand by my original statement.  Based on my past track record I have been more loyal to Sony than Nintendo, but if PS5 follows the same direction as PS4 then I don't expect to like PS5 very much.  I might skip it or get it cheap for streaming and Blu-Rays.

From your own words you never liked most of sonys offerings to begin with. Uncharted, GOW, TLU. Games that defined the PS3 which you said you  enjoyed as a platform.

Sonys 1st party output on PS4 is critically (metscritic) higher than on PS3. There was not an abundance of Sony Japan games on PS3 either. 

I'm just pointing out that your distinction between PS4/PS3 is blurry and Sony is about to have one of their best exclusive years in history.

And there are more JRPGs on PS4 compared to switch from everything FF related, to DQ which arrived on playstation much earlier, to persona, to Ni No Kuni 2, Valkyria Chronicles, Tales, Nieh  and dozens of niche titles. Absolutely fine you prefer Switch's library but I don't think that's something for Sony to amend as you're suggesting, they have a very high 1st party output that hasn't changed drastically for decade. You are just more interested in Nintendo.

Just personally, I also liked the PS3 but the PS4 doesn't really appeal to me that much, and I think it's cos the main games I really liked on PS3 were Uncharted 1-3, Resistance 1-3, and Killzone 3.

PS4 doesn't have any Resistance games, and Killzone Shadowfall was just awful, so that leaves Uncharted, and PS4 only has one of those versus 3 on PS3.

killeryoshis said:
Wow, Switch owners so starved they need other consoles to be full.

Erm that's a peculiar and awfully cynical way to look at it. It's a great complimentary console with a ton of great games. I have an Xb One, but that's really a complementary console too. If I ONLY had that console I'd definitely be missing the Nintendo stuff/2nd parties and portability, the same way I'd miss my Xb One for XBL, Gears, and the solid 3rd party stuff.

Edit: whoops I guess I should have scrolled a bit farther down to notice the sarcasm mention. Ha silly me. Still I'll keep my point b/c it's a relevant one :P

Dulfite said:
No love for Switch/PC owners? Don't need an Xbox since I have a PC that can play the games.

I kinda sorta have a "gaming pc" but it's from like 2013 so it's getting ever more limited with each passing week heh. I am thinking of bypassing the next Xbox (especially with the gamepass service compatibility with Windows) and just getting a new PC to go with my Nintendo console exclusively next gen.

A good friend of mine is also a major PC/Nintendo guy and basically has been in the 25 years I've known him. He's rarely touched a PS4 or XB controller as far as I've seen.

Last edited by DarthMetalliCube - on 06 March 2020

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Otter said:

Just personally, I also liked the PS3 but the PS4 doesn't really appeal to me that much, and I think it's cos the main games I really liked on PS3 were Uncharted 1-3, Resistance 1-3, and Killzone 3.

PS4 doesn't have any Resistance games, and Killzone Shadowfall was just awful, so that leaves Uncharted, and PS4 only has one of those versus 3 on PS3.

What has been your favourite games on PS4 other then Uncharted?

Yeah, that's completely fair, sometimes things dont hit the mark but would you put this down to a specific direction from Sony? I mean other than games taking longer to produce. 2/3 of those franchises didn't exist on PS2 (3/3 for most people) but the studios were given freedom to create them on PS3. On PS4 they moved to some new things again (Horizon, Spiderman) and in large we've seen a lot of new IPs published from them. More then anything sonys first parties are defined by contemporary experiences which are ever evolving. Looking at this year alone for example with Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima. Last year Days Gone & Death Stranding. They hit familiar beats with their biggest franchises but they also have a lot of experimentation in a generation. Some of it falls flat like The Order, but I think the approach was the same with PS3 and it will be the same with PS5. 

But I can see why someone might prefer them to go the Nintendo approach and prefee them to put 90% of their efforts into franchises they've already established of theres something particular you loved in their past.

Otter said:
curl-6 said:

What has been your favourite games on PS4 other then Uncharted?

Yeah, that's completely fair, sometimes things dont hit the mark but would you put this down to a specific direction from Sony? I mean other than games taking longer to produce. 2/3 of those franchises didn't exist on PS2 (3/3 for most people) but the studios were given freedom to create them on PS3. On PS4 they moved to some new things again (Horizon, Spiderman) and in large we've seen a lot of new IPs published from them. More then anything sonys first parties are defined by contemporary experiences which are ever evolving. Looking at this year alone for example with Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima. Last year Days Gone & Death Stranding. They hit familiar beats with their biggest franchises but they also have a lot of experimentation in a generation. Some of it falls flat like The Order, but I think the approach was the same with PS3 and it will be the same with PS5. 

Horizon does look pretty cool and if I had a PS4 I'd definitely pick it up, but stuff like Spiderman, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding just aren't my cup of tea.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 March 2020

Pyro as Bill said:
Otter said:

Steal notable sales of the same game. The only place the Switch seems to compete is indie games.

Exactly. Why is this only working for retro/indie/AA games? Why would people choose the more expensive 720p version of a game instead of the 1080p-4K version on PS4/PC?

-The most successful platform for Two Point Hospital was Nintendo Switch, with 55% of boxed sales coming on Nintendo's hybrid platform. 34% of sales were on PS4, with 12% on Xbox One.
-Also new this week is Darksiders Genesis at No.11. THQ Nordic's spin-off action game sold best on PS4, representing 51% of sales, ahead of Switch (28%) and Xbox One (21%).
-Next on the list was Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair, from Team17 and Playtonicm, which comes in at No.31. 56% of sales came on Nintendo Switch, with 30% on PS4 and the rest coming on Xbox One."

Because PS4/XB are overshooting. The speed/graphics bump is negligible and doesn't trump the advantages of the more expensive portable version. In the same way that the convenience of consoles trumps PC gaming for lots of people.

The tipping point is different for different people but it's unquestionable that Nintendo is becoming more of a direct competitor. Is it inconceivable to see how at some point, the majority of gamers will take 1080p and portablility over 4K. Or 4K + portability over 8K. Or 8K + portability over 16K etc etc.

I'm of the opinion that it was RTS sluts and not Graphics whores that pushed PC gaming for the past 30 years and with it's decline, the lack of Crysises, the failure of 3D monitors and VR, the gaming market is being overshot again and is ripe for a little disruption.

It's working for nearly every game that ACTUALLY releases on switch. Those are more affected because the market made it clear that they'd rather buy a game on the switch if runs the same as other platforms.

While I do not own a PS4 or Xbox One, I'm definitely not "Switch only" either, as I'm also a retro gamer who routinely plays on older systems.

I don't think any one system could ever completely satisfy me. Variety's the spice of life.

curl-6 said:
Otter said:

Well lost legacy is almost a full game (and good at it) also we have the collection (I platined all 3 again =p )...

But yep not liking PS4 as much as PS3 because of these 3 franchises I can really understand, they were all in control of Sony and your reasoning is spot on.

On the case of Liquid the problem is that basically he is complaining about Sony needing to change, but the evidences he point are on 3rd party games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."