By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NPD: Percentages of US Switch owners that own PS4/Xbone/both/neither

I have a Switch and PS4. I loved Xbox and Xbox 360 and had all 3 those gens (4 with DC) but Xbox One did fuck all to interest me this gen. Both are my primary.

Last edited by Leynos - on 04 March 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

We simply don't have the data, at least not here or that I've seen, to proclaim Switch is a typically a "secondary" console. These numbers only say there is a lot of overlap, but that doesn't tell us which of the multiple systems is the secondary.

Last gen I owned an Xbox 360 and a Wii, but the 360 was my secondary console.

Thus why I ammended on a reply.

For people that prefer PS/Xbox exclusives or multiplats Switch is likely the secondary, for people that prefer Nintendo exclusives and don't care as much for multiplats or exclusives from other platforms Switch is the primary.

The main point wasn't that. It was that Switch isn't a direct competitor (30% standalone Switch owner), that if you were to look overlap between PS and Xbox you would probably get less than 20% owners having both (just look at the quantity that own all three, very small compare to even S+X or S+P)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

My Switch is a secondary console to my PS4 only in the same sense that my PS2 was a secondary console to my PS1.  Basically "secondary console" really means "next gen replacement" in this context.

At this point there is a decent chance I may never buy a PS5 or Series X.  If I do it will be several years for now after a huge price drop, and even then it might mostly be for streaming and watching Blu-Rays.  I currently use my PS4 mostly for streaming and watching Blu-Rays.  But for gaming, there are already far more interesting Switch games released than I am able to play.  I can play Switch for many more years and still not run out of games.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

My Switch is a secondary console to my PS4 only in the same sense that my PS2 was a secondary console to my PS1.  Basically "secondary console" really means "next gen replacement" in this context.

At this point there is a decent chance I may never buy a PS5 or Series X.  If I do it will be several years for now after a huge price drop, and even then it might mostly be for streaming and watching Blu-Rays.  I currently use my PS4 mostly for streaming and watching Blu-Rays.  But for gaming, there are already far more interesting Switch games released than I am able to play.  I can play Switch for many more years and still not run out of games.

That is because you were always more of a Nintendo gamer than anything else. Nothing wrong with it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

That is because you were always more of a Nintendo gamer than anything else. Nothing wrong with it.

Except this isn't true.  I was very much into PS1 and PS2 and skipped over N64 and mostly skipped Gamecube too.  I also really liked the PS3.  I just don't particularly care for PS4 and if Sony doesn't change then I probably won't like PS5 either.  Meanwhile Switch is my favorite system since the NES.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
DonFerrari said:

Except this isn't true.  I was very much into PS1 and PS2 and skipped over N64 and mostly skipped Gamecube too.  I also really liked the PS3.  I just don't particularly care for PS4 and if Sony doesn't change then I probably won't like PS5 either.  Meanwhile Switch is my favorite system since the NES.

Understood, to bad PS4 didn't got your gaming love.

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

We simply don't have the data, at least not here or that I've seen, to proclaim Switch is a typically a "secondary" console. These numbers only say there is a lot of overlap, but that doesn't tell us which of the multiple systems is the secondary.

Last gen I owned an Xbox 360 and a Wii, but the 360 was my secondary console.

For people that prefer PS/Xbox exclusives or multiplats Switch is likely the secondary, for people that prefer Nintendo exclusives and don't care as much for multiplats or exclusives from other platforms Switch is the primary.

The main point wasn't that. It was that Switch isn't a direct competitor (30% standalone Switch owner), that if you were to look overlap between PS and Xbox you would probably get less than 20% owners having both (just look at the quantity that own all three, very small compare to even S+X or S+P)

You seem to be forgetting about the vast, vast majority of people who don't take sides. The people (myself and many others included) who just want to play great games. In other words, I don't neglect a game because of the console it was created to be played on. I'm a consumer, and I don't believe consumers should play politics in the console wars in which they don't have any stake in.

I believe it's so deeply ingrained in your mind due to your personal tendencies towards PS and against Nintendo that you automatically project your own personal views onto the world around you. You've also switched your statements from "Switch isn't really a competitor" to "Switch is an indirect competitor". I'm left wondering why you insist upon this, because I can clearly infer that this is something you want to be true (regardless of whether or not it is).

But anyways, Don, I'm happy that you ended up conceding a little on that statement, even though you didn't own up to being wrong.

RaptorChrist said:
DonFerrari said:

You seem to be forgetting about the vast, vast majority of people who don't take sides. The people (myself and many others included) who just want to play great games. In other words, I don't neglect a game because of the console it was created to be played on. I'm a consumer, and I don't believe consumers should play politics in the console wars in which they don't have any stake in.

I believe it's so deeply ingrained in your mind due to your personal tendencies towards PS and against Nintendo that you automatically project your own personal views onto the world around you. You've also switched your statements from "Switch isn't really a competitor" to "Switch is an indirect competitor". I'm left wondering why you insist upon this, because I can clearly infer that this is something you want to be true (regardless of whether or not it is).

But anyways, Don, I'm happy that you ended up conceding a little on that statement, even though you didn't own up to being wrong.

When I said someone neglect a game because of the console it was created to be played? And you may pretend you don't have preference, many in VGC try to say they are neutral, but all human beings have preferences and bias. Usually the most biased ones are the ones that don't admit it.

I have all Nintendo consoles, so nope I'm not against Nintendo, you could say I'm negative towards MS though. Because being indirect is equivalent of not really a competitor. Do you take Miyamoto saying they don't compete with Sony and MS as a statement because he is pro PS and anti-Nintendo as well? Because he is saying the same stuff.

DonFerrari said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Just out of interest, what would Switch have to be/do for you to consider it a more direct competitor?

More power? More AAA software? No portability? Steal sales?

I'll do like Socrates and return with a question, are Ferrari and GM direct competitors because both sell cars?

They would need to cater to the same market, It is very hard to defend Switch (or Wii or WiiU) directly competed with  PS360 or PS4X1 when the higher up of the 3 companies say there was direct competition between PS and Xbox and that Nintendo were blue ocean strategy (just look at the folks that bought Wii and never returned to gaming, or now that only 30% of Switch owners don't own a different console).

One day people will accept that there are indirect competitors and replacement products and that isn't something bad about the product in that role when compared with the others. Just as PS X1 would be complimentary to people that like Nintendo first but want to play some third parties Switch is complimentary to who likes to play exclusives of PS or Xbox and 3rd parties but also want to play Nintendo games.

A surreal comparison, given that ferraris are luxury items that cost many times more than standard cars. Switch, ps4 and x1 catter to the same market, competing for the money of people who play videogames.

Saying that only 30% or less of switch owners don't own a different console is like saying that only 1% of ps4 owners don't own a different console because they bought a wii/ps3/x360 the gen prior.

Nu-13 said:
DonFerrari said:

I'll do like Socrates and return with a question, are Ferrari and GM direct competitors because both sell cars?

They would need to cater to the same market, It is very hard to defend Switch (or Wii or WiiU) directly competed with  PS360 or PS4X1 when the higher up of the 3 companies say there was direct competition between PS and Xbox and that Nintendo were blue ocean strategy (just look at the folks that bought Wii and never returned to gaming, or now that only 30% of Switch owners don't own a different console).

One day people will accept that there are indirect competitors and replacement products and that isn't something bad about the product in that role when compared with the others. Just as PS X1 would be complimentary to people that like Nintendo first but want to play some third parties Switch is complimentary to who likes to play exclusives of PS or Xbox and 3rd parties but also want to play Nintendo games.

A surreal comparison, given that ferraris are luxury items that cost many times more than standard cars. Switch, ps4 and x1 catter to the same market, competing for the money of people who play videogames.

Saying that only 30% or less of switch owners don't own a different console is like saying that only 1% of ps4 owners don't own a different console because they bought a wii/ps3/x360 the gen prior.

Would you be more pleased if we would be comparing compact cars with SUVs on the same price range? It would be same case as this one. There may be some that will like both or none, some that will own both, etc. But essentially they go for different crowd.

Smartphones also compete for the money of people who play videogames (as do movies and several other products) still they don't directly compete.

Call PR from all 3 companies (no idea why they would all recognize Wii, WiiU and Switch as not directly competing with PS and Xbox but would also recognize that PS and Xbox directly compete), but sure call BS from all companies and you the holder of knowledge.

30% of Switch owners don't have same gen consoles from Sony or MS, probably they have some console from previous gen (be it Nintendo or others). You are drawing a false parallel when going from same gen to previous gen. But as I said I won't entertain the same conversation with you.